Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

THANK YOU AUSTRALIA

THANK YOU AUSTRALIA

Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THANK YOU AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by Deancm
Come to Melbourne and say that.
Thanks for neatly illustrating my point - blanket statements with regard a country larger than mainland Europe just make you look (being kind), ermm, naive.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thanks for neatly illustrating my point - blanket statements with regard a country larger than mainland Europe just make you look (being kind), ermm, naive.
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek blanket statement. You take things so literally sometimes.

But if we want to get factual about it we could say that two thirds of australia doesn't even have any grass because it is desert.

On top of that I could say that the grass in Australia isn't greener than the UK due to the chlorophyll content.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It was meant to be a tongue in cheek blanket statement. You take things so literally sometimes.

But if we want to get factual about it we could say that two thirds of australia doesn't even have any grass because it is desert.

On top of that I could say that the grass in Australia isn't greener than the UK due to the chlorophyll content.
All grasses have similar 'content' of chlorophyll - the slime-green colour of English grass is down to the excessive volume of nitrates in the soil, laid down over centuries of settlement and intensive farming.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:22 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Some grass which grows widely and commonly through many named deserts of Australia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr..._grassland.jpg

Not a grass to assauage a pining Pom; commonly called spinifex for the reason that it is vexatiously spiny, especially when desiccated under a strong dry season sun to straw yellow.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
All grasses have similar 'content' of chlorophyll - the slime-green colour of English grass is down to the excessive volume of nitrates in the soil, laid down over centuries of settlement and intensive farming.
Yes, I know. Just take my facetious comments with a pinch of salt.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Some grass which grows widely and commonly through many named deserts of Australia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tr..._grassland.jpg

Not a grass to assauage a pining Pom; commonly called spinifex for the reason that it is vexatiously spiny, especially when desiccated under a strong dry season sun to straw yellow.
Spinifex eh... I was waiting for someone to mention that. But you're right it's not the type assuage a pining pom.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Spinifex eh... I was waiting for someone to mention that. But you're right it's not the type assuage a pining pom.
You guys know so much about grass
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
You guys know so much about grass
Look forward to learning all about grass when you get to Australia. It's a national pastime.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Look forward to learning all about grass when you get to Australia. It's a national pastime.
I'm not surprised
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:21 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robw4
I have nothing to say thank you for. If it wasn't for Australia, I could still be living with my family in 5 years
2 weeks later, opinion still stands
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

This thread is still going???
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

This thread is still going???
ERmmm ... yea, thanks in no small part to you?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:28 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
I'm not surprised
Be aware that should the pining start, the focus of such anxiety can become the shade or texture of green:

Because these green hills are not highland hills
Or the island hills, the're not my land's hills
And fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:14 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Be aware that should the pining start, the focus of such anxiety can become the shade or texture of green:

Because these green hills are not highland hills
Or the island hills, the're not my land's hills
And fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home.
Are you a Scottish soldier, Will?

Last edited by CPW; Jul 19th 2009 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CPW
Are you a Scottish soldier, Will?
Nup.