TFN Number

Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:49 am
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TFN Number

Hi

Can anyone tell me if I can apply for a Tax File Number for Au while still residing in the UK??

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:55 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: TFN Number

Originally Posted by millymolly
Hi

Can anyone tell me if I can apply for a Tax File Number for Au while still residing in the UK??

Thanks
Hi MM, you can apply online (www.ato.gov.au) from anywhere, but only once your visa has been validated. They don't take long to come through though so dont worry about having to wait till you get here
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:02 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi MM, you can apply online (www.ato.gov.au) from anywhere, but only once your visa has been validated. They don't take long to come through though so dont worry about having to wait till you get here

Think you need an Aussie Address though. !!!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:58 pm
ABCDiamond

If you follow the links on the ATO website at Application or enquiry for a tax file number - for individuals living outside Australia

It then goes on to say:
Do not use this application if:
* you intend to work in Australia – register online
* you are migrating permanently to Australia – register online

and following this 2nd option, it ends with:
You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online only if you are a temporary visitor or permanent migrant currently in Australia !

Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: TFN Number

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you follow the links on the ATO website at Application or enquiry for a tax file number - for individuals living outside Australia

It then goes on to say:

You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online only if you are a temporary visitor or permanent migrant currently in Australia !

Thanks for advice one n all....got lots of home work to do with all the tax implications also, with transferring funds - but it will be all worth it once i see the brisbane river from the plane again!!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for advice one n all....got lots of home work to do with all the tax implications also, with transferring funds - but it will be all worth it once i see the brisbane river from the plane again!!
It sure will. Tim and I applied for our TFN when we validated our visas last year. It says somewhere on the site that they have a way of checking whether or not you are in the country and if you aren't you can't get a number.

Goodluck with your move

Katie
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:42 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Make sure you give them the correct information regarding your visa status or they (the ATO) will tax you at a far higher rate than normal.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:10 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Question Re: TFN Number

It then goes on to say:

Thanks ABCDiamond for the info, I been watching threads on ATO..
What happens if my ID card is lost ( I mean the TFIN card)?
How can I get the duplicate?
What are the charges to get duplicate card?
Do you have any hint on this?
Do help.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Thanks ABCDiamond for the info, I been watching threads on ATO..
What happens if my ID card is lost ( I mean the TFIN card)?
How can I get the duplicate?
What are the charges to get duplicate card?
Do you have any hint on this?
Do help.
You don't actually get a card, it's just on a sheet of paper, and it's on just about every letter or document that the tax office send you.

If you lose the number, ring the ATO, and they will check it for you.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:58 pm

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

You don't actually get a card, it's just on a sheet of paper, and it's on just about every letter or document that the tax office send you.

If you lose the number, ring the ATO, and they will check it for you.
Ooh so I guess they should be able to send me the duplicate... but are charges involved..for duplicates?
Any information on that?
thanks for your feedback ABCDiamond...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Ooh so I guess they should be able to send me the duplicate... but are charges involved..for duplicates?
Any information on that?
thanks for your feedback ABCDiamond...
There is no charge involved at all, not in getting the original or a duplicate.
Best thing to do is just write the number somewhere safe when you receive it, then eeven if you lose the letter yous till have the number recorded.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:39 am

Smile Re: TFN Number

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is no charge involved at all, not in getting the original or a duplicate.
Best thing to do is just write the number somewhere safe when you receive it, then eeven if you lose the letter yous till have the number recorded.
Yeh,
I think as imp as passport...
thanks Pollyana.