Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TFN not allowed until arrival ?

TFN not allowed until arrival ?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down TFN not allowed until arrival ?

Hi forumites,
I have just tried to apply for my TFN online, just in case I get myself a job to start when I arrive, and the site has just told me:

"Your details indicate that you are eligible for a TFN but you have not yet arrived in Australia. Please wait until you arrive in Australia before applying for a TFN. "

Yet I am led to believe this could take a while to arrive when I apply, and I dont want to be paying emergency tax :scared: :scared:

Any ideas on timescales anyone?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:26 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TFN not allowed until arrival ?

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi forumites,
I have just tried to apply for my TFN online, just in case I get myself a job to start when I arrive, and the site has just told me:

"Your details indicate that you are eligible for a TFN but you have not yet arrived in Australia. Please wait until you arrive in Australia before applying for a TFN. "

Yet I am led to believe this could take a while to arrive when I apply, and I dont want to be paying emergency tax :scared: :scared:

Thanks
Have a look at the following:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=TFN
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
Yeh I saw this but the ATO site just keeps kicking me out, As soon as I have put my Passport number, Name, DOB etc, click next, it just terminates, and doesn't even give me chance to add an address:
Which I could give them as I know where we are staying for the first couple of weeks

Guess I'll just have to wait to get there
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:51 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh I saw this but the ATO site just keeps kicking me out, As soon as I have put my Passport number, Name, DOB etc, click next, it just terminates, and doesn't even give me chance to add an address:
Which I could give them as I know where we are staying for the first couple of weeks

Guess I'll just have to wait to get there

Somebody posted that the ATO gives your TFN straightaway if you apply online as soon as you get into the country. Have a look at the thread again.

You don't need a permenant address for a TFN. You just need an address. We put down our hotel address [informed the hotel first].

We used an internet cafe and received our TFN immediatly from the system once all our details were entered [you need your passport details too if memory serves me correct].

We then changed address details as and when necessary once we found somewhere to live [just ring Tax office up]

So to answer your question; you can use an internet cafe to obtain a TFN by entering your details and using your temp address. You then inform the Tax office when you change address. You TFN is given to you upon entering your details on the computer. This means you can start work straight away and pay the appropriate tax.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:22 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi forumites,

Thanks
NKSK is right.

You can apply for your TFN online once you get here. You will recieve it straight away, online, at time of entering your details. This means you will not pay emergency tax.

Perhaps you are unable to access a TFN from oversees as you are already paying UK tax and technically you have not been entered on the Aus system if you haven't entered the country at this time?

Don't panic. You can go straight to an internet cafe, key in all your details and access your TFN straight away. Please remember your passport as you require details from it.

Just had a thought; I bet your passport number that you key in at time of TFN application triggers your entry date details hence being able to apply for a TFN...otherwise anyone could apply for a TFN? Aus wouldn't want anyone to be able to work here unless they have a valid visa and confirmed entry date hence you probably not being able to access your TFN from overseas. There's your answer as to why you probabley couldn't access you TFN from abroad

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]NKSK is right.

You can apply for your TFN online once you get here. You will recieve it straight away, online, at time of entering your details. This means you will not pay emergency tax.

Has the system changed?

We applied online last July when we arrived but had to wait for 3 weeks while it was sent out in the post.

Andy
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:38 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=andy thomas]
Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
NKSK is right.

Has the system changed?

We applied online last July when we arrived but had to wait for 3 weeks while it was sent out in the post.

Andy
Not that I know of Andy.

We also applied last July, got the TFN number straight away....but received confirmation in writing through the post 3 weeks later.

Maybe that's where the confusion is i.e you get the number straight away, but it's confirmed in writing some time later?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived september 2004 and applied online. had to wait 3 weeks for it to come through the post, also.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:21 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by steandleigh
We arrived september 2004 and applied online. had to wait 3 weeks for it to come through the post, also.
Strange......I remember writing mine down off the net. Still got the envelope that I wrote it on as it contained my passport

Wonder if it's different in different states?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:27 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I got here end of November and same as the majority, had to wait for it to arrive in the post, took just over two weeks.

It won't let you apply until your visa has been validated, ie you enter the country. Makes sense, they don't want people on their records who aren't actually any interest to them, which you aren't until you are a resident.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:40 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Strange......I remember writing mine down off the net. Still got the envelope that I wrote it on as it contained my passport

We got ours straight away off the net & confirmed by post.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...we were given a 'receipt number' (totally unrelated to the TFN number)over the net and our TFN's came later, thru the post.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:00 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hmm...we were given a 'receipt number' (totally unrelated to the TFN number)over the net and our TFN's came later, thru the post.
Nope was defo the TFN......strange, wonder if due to different states

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We also applied online and got a tfn straight away, had to wait a couple of weeks for the official looking form/certificate to arrive via snail mail though
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:28 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by cresta57
We also applied online and got a tfn straight away, had to wait a couple of weeks for the official looking form/certificate to arrive via snail mail though
Ahhhh I was beginning to think I'd lost me marbles

Lerop P got his too....strange

Do,do,do, do,do,do,do,do,do [my crap attempt at spooky musak ]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.