Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TFN and Medicare

TFN and Medicare

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

joquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nice
Default TFN and Medicare

I lived in Australia for a year (2007) and had medicare and a tax file number
I have now been granted a spouse visa and will be returning to Oz next week
My question is this.

Do i need to apply for a new Tax file number and Medicare card when i arrive.

Hope someone knows the answer

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: TFN and Medicare

Originally Posted by joquin
My question is this.

Thanks
Hiya,

You don't need another TFN, you will have this one for life. Not sure on the medicare sorry.

Donna.x
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joquin
My question is this.

Thanks
You apply for Medicare when you get here - take your passport into the local Medicare office, but leave it a week or so as sometimes their computers don't catch up with your details at once.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

In very similar circumstances to yours I kept my old TFN and Medicare number. Both took approx 3 mins each to sort out (of which 2 mins 30 secs was queuing) in the respective offices.
The Medicare office gave me a little computer printout rather like an ATM receipt until the card itself came through about a week later.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me if I had a TFN 20 years ago whilst over on a WHV, would they still have a record of that - I clearly don't!

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingaway
Can anyone tell me if I had a TFN 20 years ago whilst over on a WHV, would they still have a record of that - I clearly don't!

Thanks
Possibly not. Hubby worked over here in 1984 and had a TFN. However they were still paper based. When they went over to computer, if yours wasn't in use, it probably wasn't 'moved' over and so no record of it. Hubby had to get a new one. Can't remember the exact date but think it was late 80s/early 90s.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Possibly not. Hubby worked over here in 1984 and had a TFN. However they were still paper based. When they went over to computer, if yours wasn't in use, it probably wasn't 'moved' over and so no record of it. Hubby had to get a new one. Can't remember the exact date but think it was late 80s/early 90s.
Thanks for that. I was over in 1988 so sounds like that sort of time. When your husband applied for a TFN did he mention that he was over at that time or did he just apply for a new one?
Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingaway
Thanks for that. I was over in 1988 so sounds like that sort of time. When your husband applied for a TFN did he mention that he was over at that time or did he just apply for a new one?
Thanks
He told them and they searched for his old number for a while and then said it must have not been carried over and gave him a new one - no problem. Just took a little while longer than it took to get mine.