Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TFN - To get or not to get?

TFN - To get or not to get?

Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default TFN - To get or not to get?

I'd appreciate any advice on this one.

I'm in Australia as a student and am not working at the moment. This WILL change in time, but as we speak I am in full time study so think I don't need a TFN.

But I do!

I have some funds in a bank account over here which isn't gaining any interest as the bank need ........... guess what? ......

My TFN!

Can I get a TFN without employment can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance ...
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:08 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFN - To get or not to get?

yes you can apply for your TFN within a few days of arriving here.

Lynn
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:13 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I'd appreciate any advice on this one.

I'm in Australia as a student and am not working at the moment. This WILL change in time, but as we speak I am in full time study so think I don't need a TFN.

But I do!

I have some funds in a bank account over here which isn't gaining any interest as the bank need ........... guess what? ......

My TFN!

Can I get a TFN without employment can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance ...
Yes mate just apply online, ours took about 2 weeks to arrive in the post.

As you're probably aware the interest you make will be subject to a 10% withholding tax if you don't inform your bank of your TFN.

What are you studying and where?

Rich
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Ok cheers

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Yes mate just apply online, ours took about 2 weeks to arrive in the post.

As you're probably aware the interest you make will be subject to a 10% withholding tax if you don't inform your bank of your TFN.

What are you studying and where?

Rich
Oh Rich, you forgot me already! ...

Oh and the bank said I'll get NO interest until I furnish them with the TFN! ...
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:18 am

Ok cheers

Oh Rich, you forgot me already! ...

Oh and the bank said I'll get NO interest until I furnish them with the TFN! ...
Mate I hadn't forgotten you just what you were studying.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Mate I hadn't forgotten you just what you were studying.
Ahhh, I C.

Ok, used to be a london cabbie, male, mid thirties, love PC's and all kinds of gadgets, the natural progression is .......................

Hairdressing! ... ...lol

Long story.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:45 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, I C.

Ok, used to be a london cabbie, male, mid thirties, love PC's and all kinds of gadgets, the natural progression is .......................

Hairdressing! ... ...lol

Long story.
Are you enjoying the course Paul?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The A Team
Are you enjoying the course Paul?
The course is fine ... We're both enjoying it now. We had a rough patch in the 2nd week as nothing was coming together but we've settled now and all IS goin well surprisingly ...

20 years since I was at school but AM enjoying it I must admit.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:52 am

The course is fine ... We're both enjoying it now. We had a rough patch in the 2nd week as nothing was coming together but we've settled now and all IS goin well surprisingly ...

20 years since I was at school but AM enjoying it I must admit.
Lynn is a hairdresser. Are you both doing the course, is it in Brisbane?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Lynn is a hairdresser. Are you both doing the course, is it in Brisbane?
Cert III in Wooly wussing at The Gold Coast.

BSOH?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a TFN Paul and not employed as yet. You might as well get it now, because you can work 20 hours a week at some point if I remember rightly, so then you can jump right in and not get clobbered for higher tax.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:37 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh, I C.

Hairdressing! ... ...lol

Long story.
LOL indeed a natural progression

Hi Paul glad eveythings going ok is that offer of laying in your garden still on?? we will be there 5th June to 12th
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I've got a TFN Paul and not employed as yet. You might as well get it now, because you can work 20 hours a week at some point if I remember rightly, so then you can jump right in and not get clobbered for higher tax.
Cheers Penny, yeah I'm gonna sort one as our poor diminishing little pile is gaining no interest as we speak! ...

We CAN work 20 hours now as far as Immigration is concerned, but studying Mon - Fri, 9 - 4.30 it's gonna be hard when living to the 'I wanna relax at the weekend rule' ...

Time will SOON come tho at Coles prices ...

Originally Posted by possoms

Hi Paul glad eveythings going ok is that offer of laying in your garden still on?? we will be there 5th June to 12th
Oh of course it is! ... altho I hope you don't mind sharing with the odd Cane Toad ?????
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by possoms

What!!!!! Slumming it with a filthy tax dodging student!!!

Get a wash FFS.

Afternoon Kay.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

tax dodging

Hey I'm NOT getting my Interest on my account, I'm not avoiding anything thank you very much! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.