Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Testing the water...

Testing the water...

Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Sitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Testing the water...

I'm about to finish my University course in the UK, and would like to work abroad in marketing. I've been looking at doing an internship abroad which will enable me to travel (to some extent), gain valuable work experience within marketing, as well as try out living and working abroad. There are a few countries I've been considering, but looking at the options all would require a working holiday visa, something I'd rather not use up on a 2-3 month internship. The exception is Australia (which also happens to be my preferred location) where I will be eligible for a 416 visa (Special Programs Visa)

So where is this thread going? Well the company I am going with takes on board your preferences in terms of what you want out of the placement and where abouts you would like the placement. It is this where I would like to find more about, although I am mindful of the fact that, in the end, there may not be too much choice, and it seems like the majority of the placements related to marketing are Sydney.

Where would you suggest would be a good location for a recent graduate (24) to get an experience of Aussie life?
What's it like living/working there?
What is the commute like?
Anything else?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I'll be heading over around June/July time, and although I'll be working a full week, the odd weekend will be spent visiting places in the vicinity/short distance away. Once the placement is over, I'll then hopefully be spending more time visiting other parts of the country, before heading home via NZ (which I have visited before).

Last edited by Sitter; Aug 11th 2008 at 3:39 pm. Reason: Add bits
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Sitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Testing the water...

Oh, and one further thing, what are the Australian cities like for cyclists? I'm hoping to be able to get digs that are a short commute from wherever I get a placement, and would quite like to cycle it (would hopefully keep the costs down too).