Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Is there anything in Australia remotely comparable to Tescos et al?

When I recce'd the place earlier this year, there was Woolies, Coles etc but in my opinion they couldnt come close to the value of Tesco / Asda or the quality of Sainburies.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tescos / Sainsburies / Asda

Originally Posted by Stephen

When I recce'd the place earlier this year, there was Woolies, Coles etc but in my opinion they couldnt come close to the value of Tesco / Asda or the quality of Sainburies.

No there isn't.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
No there isn't.

Thought so, but just wanted to check as theres only so much you can see/do on a recce.

Damn! I take it then its goodbye to clubcards and 24/7 shopping!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thought so, but just wanted to check as theres only so much you can see/do on a recce.

Coles have Flybuys which are a loyalty thing. Why anyone would want 24/7 shopping is beyond me.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you making a statement or asking a question, it seems the former to me?

Search this forum for Tesco, supermarkets et al and you will get enough to keep you going 24/7.

Incidentally, many supermarkets in Australia are open 24/7 and a costly loyalty card scheme has dubious value to the customer (fantastic for the 'big brother' business collecting information on you every time you use it). Fly Buys = Clubcard so no, it isn't goodbye to the pleasures of these 2 things.

I'm not going to enter the great supermarket debate, been there done that!

P.S. that's the fastest I've seen Neil Lennon move (in your av!)

OzTennis
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Coles have Flybuys which are a loyalty thing. Why anyone would want 24/7 shopping is beyond me.

People don't want 24 hour shopping, they just want it to be there in case they get a sudden urge to fill their freezer at 3am

We have 24 hour shops here in SA and they are supermarkets too.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Its called progress my friend and the wheels will keep rolling, 24 hr shopping coming to a suburb near you soon
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The S's
Its called progress my friend and the wheels will keep rolling, 24 hr shopping coming to a suburb near you soon

Yes I think so to. The quality of service and choice to the Uk consumer is far better than it was 10 years ago. I would say that if one was offered the opening hours back then at Tescos or now, the overwhelming majority would want the 24/7 opening hours.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think so to. The quality of service and choice to the Uk consumer is far better than it was 10 years ago. I would say that if one was offered the opening hours back then at Tescos or now, the overwhelming majority would want the 24/7 opening hours.

Come to South Australia, we have 24 hour shops here.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:20 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit 24/7 came in handy whilst on nights - used to do my weekly shop in the middle of the night, no-body else there, could even get my freezer stuff in the winter - just left it in the boot

Tracey
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Supermarkets (in the bigger centres) are open 24 hours a day in Sydney.
Practically every other shop is open on Sundays too.

It's only in country areas (and all of WA ) that shops close on Sundays.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:52 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

it's not strictly true that everything in WA is closed on a sunday. Shopping malls are closed and most large stores but there are a few which are open, some Harvey Norman stores and some smaller furniture retailers too, and as for the fear that if you run out of food on a sunday you'll starve, it's simply not true. On a sunday morning i can go dwon to my local Brumbys and get my bread and a paper and if we decde on an unplanned bit of entertaining then i got to my local IGA supermarket which is open from 7am to 8pm 7 days a week, most suburbs have them.

Lynn
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
it's not strictly true that everything in WA is closed on a sunday. Shopping malls are closed and most large stores but there are a few which are open, some Harvey Norman stores and some smaller furniture retailers too, and as for the fear that if you run out of food on a sunday you'll starve, it's simply not true. On a sunday morning i can go dwon to my local Brumbys and get my bread and a paper and if we decde on an unplanned bit of entertaining then i got to my local IGA supermarket which is open from 7am to 8pm 7 days a week, most suburbs have them.

Lynn
Used to be like that here, when I first arrived (27 years ago!). Back then, all the proper shops shut at midday on Saturday and didn't open again until Monday morning . You could get emergency supplies from little corner shops who were in business just to make money on the weekend.

I thought it was archaic - coming from the UK where Saturday afternoons were the busiest times for shops in the whole week. I was told by someone to think myself lucky because in NZ the shops were shut for the whole weekend!

It did change here in the early 80's. Went from 5.5-day shopping to 7-day shopping and has never looked back.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:12 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Used to be like that here, when I first arrived (27 years ago!). Back then, all the proper shops shut at midday on Saturday and didn't open again until Monday morning . You could get emergency supplies from little corner shops who were in business just to make money on the weekend.

I thought it was archaic - coming from the UK where Saturday afternoons were the busiest times for shops in the whole week. I was told by someone to think myself lucky because in NZ the shops were shut for the whole weekend!

It did change here in the early 80's. Went from 5.5-day shopping to 7-day shopping and has never looked back.

we've come on quite a bit too, 20 years ago the only thing open on a sunday was a local deli, like you say sunday was the only day they did any business, but the one that always made me smile was petrol stations, they closed at 12 on a saturday and there was a rota for which stations were open for the rest of the weekend, there were usually around 4 for the whole city, you had to buy the paper on a saturday to find out where you could get petrol over the weekend.

I still think 24/7 shopping is a fair bit off for us though, mosrt people you talk to don't want it and the only people who man about it is those who have come from somewhere that has had it, i don't miss it and i still hate shopping

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.