Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Wikiposts

Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Old Dec 9th 2006, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco's coming to the Sunshine Coast?

Originally Posted by hevs
I took it that because Mr Wonder is Blind he would do a shit job because being able to see the layout would be advantageous Job done!
That was too obvious!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They better bloody not I still have nightmares about that shop! And the majority of other UK shops come to that. I have a very good Coles that is useful for general stuff and an excellent fruit barn and a fab butcher - I do not need nor want a sodding Tesco - the shop of the devil as far as I and most farmers are concerned.

That's pissed me off a bit but assume it's a windup like the Perth one
Old Dec 10th 2006, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They better bloody not I still have nightmares about that shop! And the majority of other UK shops come to that. I have a very good Coles that is useful for general stuff and an excellent fruit barn and a fab butcher - I do not need nor want a sodding Tesco - the shop of the devil as far as I and most farmers are concerned.

That's pissed me off a bit but assume it's a windup like the Perth one
Coles & Woolies also exploit farmers. Meat prices paid to farmers are at a record low yet the price we pay in the supermarket has not dropped. Same with butchers. Only the farmers seem to be the ones getting screwed.
I have no great desire to see Tescos open here but I do know that the existing 2 players need to get some real competition. I reckon Walmart should move into Australia. That would shake the market up a bit.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Coles & Woolies also exploit farmers. Meat prices paid to farmers are at a record low yet the price we pay in the supermarket has not dropped. Same with butchers. Only the farmers seem to be the ones getting screwed.
I have no great desire to see Tescos open here but I do know that the existing 2 players need to get some real competition. I reckon Walmart should move into Australia. That would shake the market up a bit.

i hope Tesco can bring cheap bannanas when they open
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:15 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Really??
Have you experienced Woolworths and Coles then?
Yes we have!! Right now EVERYTHING or ANYTHING is better than Tescos!!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:11 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Strange that the same people who complain about the monopoly of Coles and Woolies (which is actually a duopoly, but never mind) are the ones who have no problem with Tesco's own monopoly in the UK. I never ceased to be amazed by this peculiar double standard; a classic case of cognitive dissonance.

Sod off, Mr Cohen.

When we want a total supermarket monopoly which drives farmers into bankruptcy and relies on the exploitation of the Third World for its cheap, shoddy clothing, we'll all move to the UK and visit your shops.

My reply was going to be "Oh great" deep sounding groaning.

Prefer smaller shops with better produce (even if I have to pay more). Considering the quality has dropped with price over the years I think paying more is just the same.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:08 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
My reply was going to be "Oh great" deep sounding groaning.

Prefer smaller shops with better produce (even if I have to pay more). Considering the quality has dropped with price over the years I think paying more is just the same.
I prefer to do all my food and grocery (even alcohol - radical idea) shopping under one roof and to get it over and done with quickly, as frankly I have better things to do with my time than go from shop to shop to shop. If they were all in one line in my local suburb, maybe, but to have to jump into the car to get to a butchers, then drive somewhere else to get household items, then back home to the expensive franchise baker and finally the local greengrocers (who is great, and the only thing that wouldn't be painful). This weekend I didn't even have time to go to the supermarket, let alone faff around visiting lots of shops.

I'd also prefer not have to pay more - we're on a tight budget you see. Funnily enough not everyone comes over with a big wad of money in the bank.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:20 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I prefer to do all my food and grocery (even alcohol - radical idea) shopping under one roof and to get it over and done with quickly, as frankly I have better things to do with my time than go from shop to shop to shop. If they were all in one line in my local suburb, maybe, but to have to jump into the car to get to a butchers, then drive somewhere else to get household items, then back home to the expensive franchise baker and finally the local greengrocers (who is great, and the only thing that wouldn't be painful). This weekend I didn't even have time to go to the supermarket, let alone faff around visiting lots of shops.

I'd also prefer not have to pay more - we're on a tight budget you see. Funnily enough not everyone comes over with a big wad of money in the bank.
I see your comment is not headed towards quality local stores v giant blandness so will ignore that little outburst.

Sure some people will claim a need to shop under one store for convenience - nothing stopping you. I prefer to take my time and enjoy chit chat with local traders who care for return business, rather than "its over there".
Guess the difference is price is equivalent to a pack of cigs and pack of beer - so horses for courses.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 1:09 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I see your comment is not headed towards quality local stores v giant blandness so will ignore that little outburst.

Sure some people will claim a need to shop under one store for convenience - nothing stopping you. I prefer to take my time and enjoy chit chat with local traders who care for return business, rather than "its over there".
Guess the difference is price is equivalent to a pack of cigs and pack of beer - so horses for courses.
I must admit that trailing around endless shops to achieve what you can under one roof isn't my idea of fun. Some people may well have ample time to spend hours each week doing that but I don't. There are far more interesting things for me to spend my time doing than grocery shopping.

I also find that local shops, though great, can actually be a pain, and just don't offer the sort of convenience that I would like. My local butcher on King Street is great. he makes lovely sausages, and has a nice range of meats. the down side is that he only opens from 10 until 12 on Saturday, and is closed by the time I get home from work, so my window of opportunity to go to hime is only 2 hours, and I often find myself not bothering.

Now if you're a stay at home mum, then you can plan your time enough to visit in the week, but I certainly find it difficult, what with working and stuff. In many ways I don't think that sole traders do themselves any favours like that. Surely opening all day on a Saturday and closing on a Monday would be a better idea?

S
Old Dec 10th 2006, 1:53 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Outburst? Because I didn't agree with your point of view? Right...

I don't have anything else to add because Swerv-o has pretty much said what I would have said.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:47 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Now if you're a stay at home mum, then you can plan your time enough to visit in the week, but I certainly find it difficult, what with working and stuff. In many ways I don't think that sole traders do themselves any favours like that. Surely opening all day on a Saturday and closing on a Monday would be a better idea?

S
?? I work 70 hours per week plus drop my daughter to and from school. Dont your sole traders work saturday?

Hi Chels
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:15 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

?? I work 70 hours per week plus drop my daughter to and from school. Dont your sole traders work saturday?

Hi Chels

Originally Posted by swerv-o
the down side is that he only opens from 10 until 12 on Saturday, and is closed by the time I get home from work
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:34 pm
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Better knock off work now, Swerv-o, to get to the butcher's shop before he closes. You've probably notched up - oooh, at least 2 hours - of hard graft so you deserve a break before you reach your 3 hour weekly average. Get me some pork and leek bangers while you're there.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:38 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by chels
Better knock off work now, Swerv-o, to get to the butcher's shop before he closes. You've probably notched up - oooh, at least 2 hours - of hard graft so you deserve a break before you reach your 3 hour weekly average. Get me some pork and leek bangers while you're there.
I'll never make it - not with the speed of the trains around here!

I did get some really nice pork, apple and herb sausages from the butcher in the Broadway centre on Saturday. They were on a par with the really nice ones I used to buy in Waitrose. Probably the best that Iv'e tasted since I've been here.

S
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Where in Perth can I get Jaffa Cakes? ...I know I can get some at the Britannia Shop in Cannington...but I'm not paying $7+ for them. IGA used to sell them but no more . My friend in the UK sends them to me, which I greatly appreciate but worry about how much it costs her...not that she seems to mind but it would be handy if there was a supermarket where I could get them anytime I want without paying the earth for them ...by the way, most of my friends in the UK seem to like Morrisons or Asda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.