British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tescos buying Coles??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tescos-buying-coles-391093/)

Buzzy--Bee Aug 17th 2006 11:06 am

Tescos buying Coles???

This could be good....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...407939193.html

:beer:

Buzzy

Australia_bound? Aug 17th 2006 11:15 am

Re: Tescos buying Coles???

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This could be good....

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...407939193.html

:beer:

Buzzy

More likely Walmart and have you been to Tesco recently???

Pollyana Aug 17th 2006 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
More likely Walmart and have you been to Tesco recently???

No, but I've been to Coles :eek:

Australia_bound? Aug 17th 2006 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, but I've been to Coles :eek:

So have I and I liked it, I live right near a Tesco and it's not all it's cracked up to be. But it's down to individual opinion.

Perthforme Aug 17th 2006 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
So have I and I liked it, I live right near a Tesco and it's not all it's cracked up to be. But it's down to individual opinion.

I'm with you on this one tescos is shite !!!!!!

spalen Aug 17th 2006 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme

i doubt they would rebrand it. In any case shipping the milk would be a problem in itself.

Coles is such a strong brand in Australian psyche tesco's woudl be mental. Wal-Mart can get away with that because everyone knows wal-mart, but even they retained the asda piece for a long while. They wont suddenly have tesco's staff flown over from UK to man the tills, or stop packing for you, or have tesco's own brand coleslaw (or god forbid marmite)

There is a shop in cleveland(brissie) just opened - if you go in it looks and feels like a family run (rich family - its a biggish store) italian delicatessen. It really really feels like that.... I shop there a lot they have cool food - its called 'grandma's deli' - so this is ok... only the last time I was ni there I spotted their uniforms with the SPAR Logo... Jeez in UK Spar was a grotty corner shop in run down areas with mouldy old fruit if you were lucky enough to get past the hooded bmx glue sniffers.

Its long been known that coles/woollies are moving towards 24 hr hypermarket stores like UK with clothing, food, (and oh yes booze) under one roof in one branded location ( like walmart or tescos ).

Perthforme Aug 17th 2006 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by spalen
i doubt they would rebrand it. In any case shipping the milk would be a problem in itself.

Coles is such a strong brand in Australian psyche tesco's woudl be mental. Wal-Mart can get away with that because everyone knows wal-mart, but even they retained the asda piece for a long while. They wont suddenly have tesco's staff flown over from UK to man the tills, or stop packing for you, or have tesco's own brand coleslaw (or god forbid marmite)

There is a shop in cleveland(brissie) just opened - if you go in it looks and feels like a family run (rich family - its a biggish store) italian delicatessen. It really really feels like that.... I shop there a lot they have cool food - its called 'grandma's deli' - so this is ok... only the last time I was ni there I spotted their uniforms with the SPAR Logo... Jeez in UK Spar was a grotty corner shop in run down areas with mouldy old fruit if you were lucky enough to get past the hooded bmx glue sniffers.

Its long been known that coles/woollies are moving towards 24 hr hypermarket stores like UK with clothing, food, (and oh yes booze) under one roof in one branded location ( like walmart or tescos ).

Ah so dear so spar :D

They have those in the Czech republic too and they are massive hypermarkets called interspar LOL

spalen Aug 17th 2006 2:59 pm

Ah so dear so spar :D

They have those in the Czech republic too and they are massive hypermarkets called interspar LOL

they'll have hooded BMX Glue Sniffer on the MODL list soon to fill all these tesco/spar jobs

possoms Aug 17th 2006 3:04 pm

Have I found the twilight zone? :confused:

kiltedjedi Aug 17th 2006 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by spalen

Tesco will not rebrand Coles, that is not how they have done it with other chains that they have bought overseas eg Carrefour, Lotus etc. They will also retain local staff who know the local market.

There may be some systems changes as Tesco are keen to get all their IT into a one size fits all. It will just mean that Coles will be able to undercut everyone because Tesco will use it's buying power to leverage better deals

I used to work for Tesco IT. Dammit I thought I was escaping

MikeStanton Aug 17th 2006 6:49 pm

Yeah right :rolleyes:

Tesco is so far ahead of Coles that comparison is pointless.

Coles is the store equivalent of a pig with lipstick; it's still a pig.

The Bloke Aug 17th 2006 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=kiltedjedi]Tesco will not rebrand Coles[/QUOTE

Have to agree with this, and it would still leave only two main players in the game. Extra players are needed.

tabby Aug 17th 2006 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=The Bloke]

Originally Posted by kiltedjedi
Tesco will not rebrand Coles[/QUOTE

Have to agree with this, and it would still leave only two main players in the game. Extra players are needed.

I agree the more supermarkets there are the better prices you will get !

thebears Aug 17th 2006 8:56 pm

Supermarkets are shite, but a fact of modern life.

lollyno1 Aug 18th 2006 6:58 am

me tooo....im an asda lass.....lovely pizzas..