Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tesco/asda/next/primark

tesco/asda/next/primark

Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No, no, no and no.... thankfully
I went into a Tesco in the UK recently - I don't understand all the fuss on here about them. Rows and rows of cheap prepackaged meals, electrical goods that are cheaper elsewhere, shite clothes etc.

There are better stores/supermarkets in the UK than this mob. Same for Next and Primark.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd kill for an M&S though. Quality food is very hard to come by in Brisbane without searching high and low and spending a day travelling all over only to spend a fortune. What we could do with is a retailer to raise the bar, but with food prices already stupidly high this reality will never come to pass sadly.

What a sad bastard I have become when I go to the UK now I just take empty bags and shop there for clothing. Buy tee shirts that last me years as opposed to weeks, quality shirts and fabrics, pure wool suits that don't cost the same as a mortgage. Ah roll on November for my next run...
M&S are the real deal - a quality UK retailer.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by Amazulu
M&S are the real deal - a quality UK retailer.
Correct. I would have no problem with M&S opening here - just never want to see Tesco, Asda etc. They are a different shopping experience and one I have left behind in a previous life.

BB
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I just returned from the Uk, went to next to stock up. Went into target a few days into my return and saw almost everything I bought in Next there!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:35 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seat151
I just returned from the Uk, went to next to stock up. Went into target a few days into my return and saw almost everything I bought in Next there!
Out of curiosity, how did the prices compare?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:49 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Not long after I moved here 4 years ago, I was browsing Kmart and saw a few tops that I had bought in H&M a couple of months before moving. More expensive, but you do eventually get used to the price differences.

Coles and Woolies are perfectly OK for food. My locals do a lot more fresh stuff and a lot less pre packaged. We have 3 bakeries, 2 butchers and 3 grocers all doing a roaring trade in town. Personal service is great and all next to a relatively small Coles and Woolies. I was in Reading prior to moving and they had only 1 or 2 butchers left operating and grocers and bakers were few and far between. The differences in prices are relative to what you earn, so the sooner you stop comparing prices to the UK the better.

There is a lot more to Oz than where you buy your clothes and groceries.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It really surprises me that Tesco, etc. haven't attempted to enter the Australian market. You'd think it would be a foregone conclusion, considering the size of their operations and the lack of serious competition in this country.
If I were Tesco I would look at Australia and say "meh...22 million people". Let's face it, we're not worth the bother on an economic scale.

Which is essentially why we shall always be doomed in retail choice I suspect.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:15 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If I were Tesco I would look at Australia and say "meh...22 million people". Let's face it, we're not worth the bother on an economic scale.

Which is essentially why we shall always be doomed in retail choice I suspect.
I do not consider that we are "doomed" because we haven't got Tesco, in food shopping I think we have more choice because we haven't got Tesco!

I am amazed for instance at the choice in the chiller cabinets at local and chain butchers, far far more choice than in even the largest Tescos in the UK.

BB
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I do not consider that we are "doomed" because we haven't got Tesco, in food shopping I think we have more choice because we haven't got Tesco!

I am amazed for instance at the choice in the chiller cabinets at local and chain butchers, far far more choice than in even the largest Tescos in the UK.

BB
Oh absolutely. I certainly didnt mean Tesco. I wouldn't shop there ever and never did in the UK.

I meant in the broader and generalised sense. We essentially pay more for everything and have less consumer choice because the market size dictates what will be traded, at what price levels and volume. Reality is that our market size is tiny by comparison to say the US who enjoy massive choice, online traders who you actually want to use and of course, lower prices for pretty much everything.

Basic economics keeps us a very captive audience to fewer traders.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by expatasia
Out of curiosity, how did the prices compare?
Dam sight cheaper in Target!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_a_life

I fully appreciate the views expressed by others here,,,but, I miss primark. I think on the whole, kids clothes are overpriced here. K mart is the cheapest,but still not as good as Primark
Oh I'm with you, dreaming of shopping...... I do all my shopping now on trips back home or via mail order

I'd kill for an M&S though. Quality food is very hard to come by in Brisbane without searching high and low and spending a day travelling all over only to spend a fortune. What we could do with is a retailer to raise the bar, but with food prices already stupidly high this reality will never come to pass sadly.

What a sad bastard I have become when I go to the UK now I just take empty bags and shop there for clothing. Buy tee shirts that last me years as opposed to weeks, quality shirts and fabrics, pure wool suits that don't cost the same as a mortgage. Ah roll on November for my next run...
I'll be coming back with my next haul just as you're going

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
There is a lot more to Oz than where you buy your clothes and groceries.
Very true, but it is a big part of some of our lives. One of the drawbacks of my working hours is the antiquated Qld shopping hours - even if I was able to get to smaller shops, butchers, delis etc fairly easily I don't have the time to do it as a regular thing. Long working hours just make good supermarkets very attractive and Coles just doesn't fit the bill I'm afraid. On the good side though, I now eat so much less partly cos of the standard/quality of food that my waistline and my food bill have shrunk dramatically!!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

We have just been to Best and Less at Southland shopping centre and have bought 2 girls fleeces from the "essentials" range for $7 each. I believe this is the same range stocked by Primark in the UK for much the same price.

BB
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:14 am
Account Closed

JulieFulie is an unknown quantity at this point

BB
I am totally amazed by your comments regarding grocery shopping in Australia. There are many great things to enjoy about living in Australia but unfortunately grocery shopping isn't one of them! Leaving clothes shopping aside because I believe that is very much down to personal choice regarding different budgets, when was the last time you visited a Tesco, Sainsburys or Marks and Spencers?? We have only been in Perth 10 months and really my only bugbear about living here apart from missing family and friends is the lack of choice when I go grocery shopping plus the inferior quality of products in the supermarkets. I'm wondering if people who have lived here for a long time have forgotten how good the supermarkets are in the UK, some of the best in the world. Or maybe my standards are just very high... In any case, I believe that the supermarkets here are about 20 years behind the UK or maybe more. Having said all that, the benefits of living here certainly outweigh the few negative aspects like shopping.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seat151
For clothes, go to Target. Tey are the same clothes as Next would sell!
hahaha that is absolute BS im afraid, they might have been cheap copies of the clothes which were in Next but they werent the same thats for sure!

Australia desperately needs Next, decent quality mid priced clothing is so hard to come by over here.

Last edited by ianhutch1; Aug 8th 2010 at 6:25 am.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

BB
Sorry pal but that really is just nonsense. My closest ASDA in the UK was the size of a couple of football pitches and about a quarter of that was chilled/frozen food selection. Now I know you spend your time on here bigging up Melbourne, but to claim that your local butcher has "far far more choice" than that, is just daft... unless your butcher is in a Tardis of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.