Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrigal /Central Coast inf & Nervous 14yr old

Terrigal /Central Coast inf & Nervous 14yr old

Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:09 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Terrigal /Central Coast inf & Nervous 14yr old

Hi There

Could you tell me anything or everything you know about Terrigal. We are seriously considdering settleing there, from what we have found out so far.

We have 2 girls 5 & 13 (the 13 yrs old is telling me as I trype to write that "she dose'nt want to go") so can anyone or their kids presude her other wise.

What are the good things about Oz, Terrigal and anything else that may help a nervous 13 nearly 14 year old buy into a new life in Oz.

Cheers
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Terrigal /Central Coast inf & Nervous 14yr old

You have my sympathy. In our house it's the 8 year old who doesn't want to go; funnily enough my 13 year old son can't wait. We're heading for Sydney so can't help with location I'm afraid, but we did do a reccie last November which banished any lingering doubts. We visited schools as well and my son really liked the High school we hope he will attend which helps. I don't know if your timescale (or finances) give that option? The big thing for kids that age is their mates so stressing that they can keep in touch is important. Would her own computer in her room so that she can MSN etc. work? (Think bribery!) Obviously this is of less interest if she has this already. We intend to use Skype so everyone can talk to their friends for free as long as they have a computer. Kids that age normally think webcams are cool as well - if your daughter has a particular best friend she's afraid of losing touch with maybe you could try and arrange that she has one too (they are dirt cheap nowadays). Luckily my 13 year old is sports mad, so his initial "I don't want to go" reaction was sorted by one conversation about rugby/diving/windsurfing/sailing etc. Good luck!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:33 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

I have a lad who will be 14 this month and a daughter of 10, both of them are looking forward to the move. Think this is partly due to the fact that we were in Australia last August and they liked what they saw and experienced and its also still quite fresh in their minds.

We are also quite lucky in the fact that although they have friends, they are not 'best, best' friends if you know what i mean!!!

Theres also a disscussion forum on here for kids/teenagers as my son has used it in the past, might be worth a look.

C x
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:45 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
You have my sympathy. In our house it's the 8 year old who doesn't want to go; funnily enough my 13 year old son can't wait. We're heading for Sydney so can't help with location I'm afraid, but we did do a reccie last November which banished any lingering doubts. We visited schools as well and my son really liked the High school we hope he will attend which helps. I don't know if your timescale (or finances) give that option? The big thing for kids that age is their mates so stressing that they can keep in touch is important. Would her own computer in her room so that she can MSN etc. work? (Think bribery!) Obviously this is of less interest if she has this already. We intend to use Skype so everyone can talk to their friends for free as long as they have a computer. Kids that age normally think webcams are cool as well - if your daughter has a particular best friend she's afraid of losing touch with maybe you could try and arrange that she has one too (they are dirt cheap nowadays). Luckily my 13 year old is sports mad, so his initial "I don't want to go" reaction was sorted by one conversation about rugby/diving/windsurfing/sailing etc. Good luck!
Hi

We're off to Sydney to, Terrigal is on the Central Cost area about an hour outside Sydney. We wanted an area that was some beach and some bush and to be honest just don't want to pay Sydney's close suburb house prices. Terrigal looks great.

Anyway, my daughter seems a little nervous about the insect side of things, strange really as she used to be reallu in to tht kind of stuff and was a real Steve Erwin fan, I think the way taht he died really took her back. The kids have not been to Oz, I think if they had they would feel differently. Oh and I made a quick visit last May. She has posted a thread on Ex Pats site which I hoped might help her buy into it all and possibly get some positive information as well.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Can't help too much on Terrigal as we live in Wahroonga on the northern edge of Sydney. Have been in the Terrigal area a few times and it looks like a nice family oriented place.

If your daughters a big Steve Irwin fan then there's a place pretty near Terrigal that she will like called Reptile World. Apparently he used to go and watch the Alligators there. There's also a croc called Eric that he used to perform with sometimes. We went there the other day and the kids loved it.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi There

Could you tell me anything or everything you know about Terrigal. We are seriously considdering settleing there, from what we have found out so far.

We have 2 girls 5 & 13 (the 13 yrs old is telling me as I trype to write that "she dose'nt want to go") so can anyone or their kids presude her other wise.

What are the good things about Oz, Terrigal and anything else that may help a nervous 13 nearly 14 year old buy into a new life in Oz.

Cheers

Just a quick question, I know you want a reasonable place to live etc, but Terrigal being an hour from Sydney CBD is only a no traffic timing. That route is very busy. I had a friend who commuted by Car, Gosford to Gordon (Upper North Shore Burb) and she easily left at 6.00 each morning to get in for 8.00, that is without going further down the pacific highway.

Have you got someone currently doing the commute that can tell you what it is like. It is only an observation from me, I hated my commute in the UK that took me 45 mins to travel 5 miles so was determined to cut it here but Sydney is a busy busy city and the transport links can take a lot longer than advertised. The train time from Sydney CBD to Gosford is around 1hr 25 mins and you still have the commute times to the station and to your place of work.

Hopefully you are not like me and do not mind the travel but it can be a bind. Two friends have bought their weekend place up at the Entrance and have a rental flat in the city, otherwise their week is washed out travelling 7.00 - 9.00 each evening to do a 9 till 6.30 job.

Cheers Sandra
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Just a quick question, I know you want a reasonable place to live etc, but Terrigal being an hour from Sydney CBD is only a no traffic timing. That route is very busy. I had a friend who commuted by Car, Gosford to Gordon (Upper North Shore Burb) and she easily left at 6.00 each morning to get in for 8.00, that is without going further down the pacific highway.

Have you got someone currently doing the commute that can tell you what it is like. It is only an observation from me, I hated my commute in the UK that took me 45 mins to travel 5 miles so was determined to cut it here but Sydney is a busy busy city and the transport links can take a lot longer than advertised. The train time from Sydney CBD to Gosford is around 1hr 25 mins and you still have the commute times to the station and to your place of work.

Hopefully you are not like me and do not mind the travel but it can be a bind. Two friends have bought their weekend place up at the Entrance and have a rental flat in the city, otherwise their week is washed out travelling 7.00 - 9.00 each evening to do a 9 till 6.30 job.

Cheers Sandra
Sandra is right - Terrigal to CBD is easily over an hour whichever way you look at it - it had better be worthwhile.

My family are in Terrigal - it has sort of got really busy this last 5 years and when I went back after the 4, it had changed and I'm not sure for the best. (Just a population explosion).

It was a backwater 10 -15 years ago now its getting cranked up - however - it is great for beaches and there is good shopping and facilities - and the best houses cost a fortune.

If you can work on the Central Coast you might get a nice life but you won't be doing the Sydney run as often as you think. You won't want to other than recreation or need.

Your son will like the beaches and the chicks maybe.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:48 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Terrigal is a lovely spot, but I've found that it gets invaded every weekend by wedding parties. Every corner you turn, there's some bride and groom getting their photo taken!

I've never travelled there by train or by car during peak hours, but driving outside of rush hour it still takes a good hour and a half from inner Sydney.

Unfortunately if you are planning to work in Sydney, you may need to compromise on something - either proximity to a beach, size of house/plot, transport infrastructure, neighbours, local amenities etc. Sydney (and the surrounding areas) unfortunately is not somewhere you can 'have it all' on a limited budget.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Hannahcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Terrigal /Central Coast inf & Nervous 14yr old

Hi
We emigrated from the UK back In January 2006. We have some friends who live on the Central Coast, so we decided to stay in Terrigal and commute to Sydney every day. The commute from home to the CBD every day took over 3 hours out of my day. I commuted from April to October and decided enough was enough.. Yes terrigal is beautiful, and house prices are lower than Sydney, but for me i really felt my quality of life was suffering. I was constantly tired.. I was leaving the house as my daughter was waking, and returning as she was going to bed. Not what i came to Australia for...
In October i moved down to the North Shore and have never regretted it.
Sydney has so much entertainment and many more amenities. We still travel to Terrigal to visit our friends, but i have never regretted my move..
On a positive note, my daughter (nearly 13) attended school in Terrigal and thoroughly enjoyed it. The children all mixed well, and enjoyed heading down to the beach on a Saturday or shopping in Erina Fair..
Good luck!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:05 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Terrigal is a lovely area but if I was traveling to Sydney from there I would be catching the train in. It's a lot quicker and less stressfull. If you want to live closer try Berowra this is a lovely area but can be prone to bush fires. When I was there in 2002 they had them and it was a scarey thing to see. I went to a house and the fires where in the area.
Gary and Vikky
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Umina which still has that hicksville side to it. Woy Woy 5 mins away has a train station which gets you to Central station in 1 hour ish. Hubby drives from Umina to North Shore and this takes him 1 hour too, but he travels at stupid o'clock cause he starts at 7am and finsihes at 7pm 2 days and reverse 2 nights. We have lovely beaches too and we dont have the tanker park on view We did have a big bush fire in Jan 06 which was a bit scarey.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
We live in Umina which still has that hicksville side to it. Woy Woy 5 mins away has a train station which gets you to Central station in 1 hour ish. Hubby drives from Umina to North Shore and this takes him 1 hour too, but he travels at stupid o'clock cause he starts at 7am and finsihes at 7pm 2 days and reverse 2 nights. We have lovely beaches too and we dont have the tanker park on view We did have a big bush fire in Jan 06 which was a bit scarey.

Jo
I've heard that Woy Woy and bits there are sort of the ugly duckling of the family with the best bits Terrigal, ''Cucumber'' and ''Advocado''..

My family remember the whole area before the hotel, the development.

I trained at the Terrigal Rugby Union club.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've heard that Woy Woy and bits there are sort of the ugly duckling of the family with the best bits Terrigal, ''Cucumber'' and ''Advocado''..

My family remember the whole area before the hotel, the development.

I trained at the Terrigal Rugby Union club.
Probably yes, but hey there are good parts too.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

Originally Posted by Sandra

Cheers Sandra
Hi

We checked out the train times to the CBD and it ws stating 1hr 5 mins, OH office is just of the main line into the CBD. He is used to a long commute as we presently live in Bedfordshire and he works in North East London (nice area, not) so he's current commute is anything from 1hr to 3 hrs depending on how horrid the traffic is. The prices of trains is also cheap compared to the cost of parking in the CBD. Its not set in stone, we'll see where we end up. But thanks for the info, keep it comming.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:23 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

We checked out the train times to the CBD and it ws stating 1hr 5 mins, OH office is just of the main line into the CBD. He is used to a long commute as we presently live in Bedfordshire and he works in North East London (nice area, not) so he's current commute is anything from 1hr to 3 hrs depending on how horrid the traffic is. The prices of trains is also cheap compared to the cost of parking in the CBD. Its not set in stone, we'll see where we end up. But thanks for the info, keep it comming.

I travel by train into the CBD from Gordon sometimes and the commute time of the train is one thing that can stretch!!!

Don't give up on living Sydney though - I think your budget was around $600 Hornsby and Berowa (mentioned above) have property this level. And if you can stetch a bit there are other options

http://www.realestate.com.au/realest...ills/103560649

I still have an hours commute on the bus from here in St Ives but that is door to door for where I currently work. And I can sleep work or read on that journey easily.

What is it that you are really looking for? Beach, large house? I think most of us who live in Sydney compromise on what we intended but that does not mean you give up on any of the dreams.

Cheers