Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrified of failing!

Terrified of failing!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:49 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Chris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really nice
Default Terrified of failing!

Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance really! We are a family of 5 (me- project engineer, OH - plasterer, kids 11,8 and 15months), heading to Brisbane.

I've been accepted for redundancy end of June 2012, but have now got cold feet are we doing the right thing? Will we lose everything we've worked so hard to gain? Will we be able to get jobs etc?

Has anyone else felt like this? I feel sick at the prospect of the unknown!

Thanks for reading,

Jaime x
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Terrified of failing!

Have you applied for visa's?

We're a family of 5 too but I'm going 6 months out there solo first as iv got a job there. My point of view is to give it a go. If it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world and we can always go to Canada!

I'm pretty excited and worried obviously as is my better half! Our kids are 7, 5 and 1. The eldest is sooooo excited so I think the kids will be ok. My parents will follow us out too as they have both retired so we will have extra help!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Hi, you wont have a problem getting employment, there is so much work out there, the mines, security work, dont be choosey, just take it one step at a time, Leave your pies[Pie Eater} at home and enjoy your new future, i have never been to OZ, my Brother is out there, Brizbane, 4 years now. i want to get out there, but need guidance, your going dont look back. Be focused. GOOD LUCK.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm
Soon to be Bris!

Chris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really niceChris&Jaime is just really nice

Our visa runs out Nov this year, but our youngest doesn't have a visa so we have to apply for that. I've done the paperwork, but not had the guts to send it off. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and my OH is losing patience with me lol! Just need one last push to get things moving...

I'm hoping they do pies in oz too, it'll help us settle quicker! X
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2royalgreenjackets
Hi, you wont have a problem getting employment, there is so much work out there, the mines, security work, dont be choosey, just take it one step at a time, Leave your pies[Pie Eater} at home and enjoy your new future, i have never been to OZ, my Brother is out there, Brizbane, 4 years now. i want to get out there, but need guidance, your going dont look back. Be focused. GOOD LUCK.
Really? You mean great paying jobs are plentiful? Have you tried getting a job in the mines BTW?

To the OP: Your nervousness is normal and comes with the territory of emigration so don't worry. However be realistic and don't come over thinking it's a bed of roses and there's loads of work which pays top dollar cos that's hardly unlikely too. If you come over without rose tinted specs on and expect to work hard you'll do ok. No pain, no gain

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who has never been to Oz you are making some pretty strong statements about the employment market. I am not suggesting anyone will struggle to find work but there are unemployed here and jobs are not being handed out to immigrants as they get off the plane. And mines are hard to get into. Also why shouldn't someone by choosy about where they work? I spend majority of my awake time at work and I am going to be choosy about it.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:19 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris&Jaime
Our visa runs out Nov this year, but our youngest doesn't have a visa so we have to apply for that. I've done the paperwork, but not had the guts to send it off. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and my OH is losing patience with me lol! Just need one last push to get things moving...

I'm hoping they do pies in oz too, it'll help us settle quicker! X
They definitely do pies in Oz. No worries there. For lard based products Oz is your country.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 3rd 2012 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed Australians love pies. More than (UK) northeners I think. Pies are always on the menu when we have a catered lunch or even tea break at work. And sausage rolls.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:48 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

You've more chance of getting a pie than a job that's for sure......
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:01 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You've more chance of getting a pie than a job that's for sure......
I've had more rejection letters than pies. That's for sure.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've had more rejection letters than pies. That's for sure.
Do you like the pies that much

I don't. That's for sure..
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Because you have a brother who lives in Brisbane you know all about Australia. I think the guidance you need is to not make ridiculous statements.

Do you have any idea what it actually takes to get a job in the mines or security? Or any job for that matter?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Have you applied for visa's?

We're a family of 5 too but I'm going 6 months out there solo first as iv got a job there. My point of view is to give it a go. If it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world and we can always go to Canada!

I'm pretty excited and worried obviously as is my better half! Our kids are 7, 5 and 1. The eldest is sooooo excited so I think the kids will be ok. My parents will follow us out too as they have both retired so we will have extra help!
Have your parents gained visas? The criteria seem to make it really prohibitive unless you have an insane amount of cash.......
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
For lard based products Oz is your country.
2nd only to the UK
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris&Jaime
Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance really! We are a family of 5 (me- project engineer, OH - plasterer, kids 11,8 and 15months), heading to Brisbane.

I've been accepted for redundancy end of June 2012, but have now got cold feet are we doing the right thing? Will we lose everything we've worked so hard to gain? Will we be able to get jobs etc?

Has anyone else felt like this? I feel sick at the prospect of the unknown!

Thanks for reading,

Jaime x
Getting accepted for the redundancy is a sign to go.

Project Engineer in what discipline?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.