Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Terrey Hills, Sydney

Terrey Hills, Sydney

Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:32 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terrey Hills, Sydney

Here goes another indecisive female!

Started off looking at the Hills District but have now taken a liking to Terrey Hills. It seems to have a real country feel yet very accessible to beaches and CBD etc. We have three young children and it looks a quiet, safe place to bring them up.

Anybody out there living in that area or got any comments? We are due to land about April 2005.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:58 am
rudo1ph

Default Re: Terrey Hills, Sydney

Originally Posted by binbird

Started off looking at the Hills District but have now taken a liking to Terrey Hills. It seems to have a real country feel yet very accessible to beaches and CBD etc. We have three young children and it looks a quiet, safe place to bring them up.

Anybody out there living in that area or got any comments? We are due to land about April 2005.

Well it still has a "Hills" in it!

Old Oct 28th 2004, 2:08 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I live down the Mona Vale Road in St Ives and often pass Terrey Hills on the way to the beach (you will be about 15 min drive from Mona Vale Beach, Patrolled in Summer and great for kids with a seapool as well. You also have the Ku ringai National Park round there and some super picnic areas with BBQs etc and all connected up to the inland water areas of the Hawksbury and Pittwater $65 for a car annual pass for all NSW parks is well worth it as it can cost $11 a visit if the park gates are manned. It is indeed a lovely area and if my children were younger I might have considered it. For us the public transport for them getting out and about themselves was an issue. There is an RSL (I think) up in that area and a few decent restaurants and a couple of pubs. Golf Courses and horse riding areas. The Mona Vale Road can get busy in peak hours but nothing really bad. As Terrey Hills is off to the side of the main road you will not be talking about much through traffic on the roads there apart from the tourists and locals visiting Akuna Bay.

Good choice....after St Ives of Course!

Transport to the CBD will be bus and car and then train or various combinations.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We've been looking around the Terry Hills area this week. It's a very horsey part of the world: there are quite a few homes like South Fork, on five acres with paddocks etc - also many near-shacks also on acreage. Some land comes up for auction but is reaching $1 - $2.5m, and the shacks tend to come on the market for demolition at a fair old price too. Having said that, there are many homes in suburban style roads in Terrey Hills.

We're now looking at St Ives, Sandra!! Love the shopping centre there!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
We've been looking around the Terry Hills area this week. It's a very horsey part of the world: there are quite a few homes like South Fork, on five acres with paddocks etc - also many near-shacks also on acreage. Some land comes up for auction but is reaching $1 - $2.5m, and the shacks tend to come on the market for demolition at a fair old price too. Having said that, there are many homes in suburban style roads in Terrey Hills.

We're now looking at St Ives, Sandra!! Love the shopping centre there!
Hi Rog

I cannot rate St Ives high enough...we do not have a local pub, but the home BBQ and local drive through bottleo serves us well enough. The shopping centre is good, we do shop once a month over in Hornsby as the shops can be expensive compared to some others.

If you are looking around and want to chat about the area PM me and we can chat if you like.

Happy house hunting!

Cheers Sandra
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this area quite well so hopefully my views may help. Yes Terry Hills is close to the National Park and not far from beaches but it is also a little isolated from other suburbs in Sydney. As you have children you will have to be prepared to do alot of driving because by the time they are teenages alot of there friends will live a fair distance away depending on which school they go to. There arent any senior schools there. There is a fair bit of unemployment there compared to other suburbs because of the isolation. It always had a reputation for being a bit rough but that is slowely changing as more wealthy people are moving in because of the land available and building large ranch style homes.
I work in St Ives and although it is close to Terry Hills it couldnt be more different. It has a huge South African community which influences it greatly. It is very upmarket suburb because of this and prices are generally higher than other suburbs. There is also a large Jewish community here. I think it would be a boring suburb for teenagers because there is only one small shopping centre and not much else around for them to do. No cinema etc.
It all depends on the personality of your family.
Have you considered Beacon Hill or Frenchs Forest. These areas are great for kids as well as being close to the beaches and not to expensive.
Anyway these are just my opinions. Hope they help
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Have thought of another suburb that is great if you have kids. Collaroy Plateau. Its quiet, leafy and safe and away from the hustle and bustle and not far from the beaches. Many familes that I know with young children live there. Another good place is Harbord. Hope this is of help
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim

I think it would be a boring suburb for teenagers because there is only one small shopping centre and not much else around for them to do. No cinema etc.
It all depends on the personality of your family.
Came across this thread because my sister just mentioned Terrey Hills as a place to think about living. We have a 14 and 16 year old, both of which have been bought up in London. Terrey Hills sounds too countryfied (sorry for the made up word) for our family.

We want to be in an area that is great for them, they are both sporty. Son loves rugby. Fancy a beach lifestyle. Only have about $600000 to spend on a house.

I teach so possibly will not need to be near Sydney.

What other towns should I look at?

THANKS

Tara
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ali south
Came across this thread because my sister just mentioned Terrey Hills as a place to think about living. We have a 14 and 16 year old, both of which have been bought up in London. Terrey Hills sounds too countryfied (sorry for the made up word) for our family.

We want to be in an area that is great for them, they are both sporty. Son loves rugby. Fancy a beach lifestyle. Only have about $600000 to spend on a house.

I teach so possibly will not need to be near Sydney.

What other towns should I look at?

THANKS

Tara
I have also been looking at these areas for when we come in Jan 2006. I have two daughters 11 and 14 who love their dance classes so would need to be able to get to one of those. It is also likely that I will work near to or in Ryde or the CBD as I am in IT. So any advice on suitable suburbs would be cool - we'll probably buy after about a year and are looking to pay a maximum of $650 on rent per week.