Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Termidor - should I get it or just get regular inspections?

Termidor - should I get it or just get regular inspections?

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Termidor - should I get it or just get regular inspections?

I'm certain I already know the answer to this after reading all the related threads but somehow I just have to double check.

We just had our annual pest control and termite inspection. Last year it was totally fine although this year they found a palm stump at the very edge of our property that had some termites. They treated it so that should be taken care of, but they did recommend that we get a Termidor barrier put in. This was our third inspection with the same company and this is the only time they have mentioned putting the barrier in.

Our house was built about 10+ years ago so there was no terminesh put in and whatever barrier method was put in would no longer be effective.

If we were living in this house more long term I wouln't have any issues getting it done. However, we will likely be selling the house in the next 6-7 months so I'm wondering whether it is worth forking out the $3200 that I've been quoted. So, I guess my question is what issues would we face if we didn't put the barrier in and then tried to sell it. Would buyers be put off? I suspect I probably would so perhaps that's my answer.

It just seems a shame to have to spend that money, although to be fair it probably should've been done when we moved in.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Termidor - should I get it or just get regular inspections?

One issue that you will face, when selling... is... Why did you have the barrier put in ? Was there a termite problem ? How bad was it ?

It 'may' scare some people off. But then, it may make others feel more comfortable, that you dealt with it.

Palm trees are notorious for termites, and as long as they stay in the palm trees, (which I think they prefer), and leave the houses alone, then no problems.

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:20 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
One issue that you will face, when selling... is... Why did you have the barrier put in ? Was there a termite problem ? How bad was it ?

It 'may' scare some people off. But then, it may make others feel more comfortable, that you dealt with it.
That's exactly what I wonder about. There is no problem the house is fine it's just one stump at the very back of the garden behind the pool. So mostly it's just a preventative thing.

I just assumed all houses have some sort of barrier so figure it would look bad if we didn't. Alternatively, as you say it could concern people and make them ask questions.

Hmmm... perhaps one idea would be to leave it and if it comes up during the selling process we could either pay for part of it (or all really). I wonder if sellers would insist on having the barrier though?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
That's exactly what I wonder about. There is no problem the house is fine it's just one stump at the very back of the garden behind the pool. So mostly it's just a preventative thing.

I just assumed all houses have some sort of barrier so figure it would look bad if we didn't. Alternatively, as you say it could concern people and make them ask questions.

Hmmm... perhaps one idea would be to leave it and if it comes up during the selling process we could either pay for part of it (or all really). I wonder if sellers would insist on having the barrier though?
I don't think the majority of houses in that age range do have a barrier. I wouldn't do it. IMO, you are a lot more likely to get someone who see's all the holes drilled through your driveway and asks nervously why you installed it, than get someone who insists you should have.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

Good point. I'm glad to see that both of you have said it might make people nervous. There would definitely be a lot of holes too, there's paved walkways around 3/4 of the house so I'm sure they'd notice. I'd probably be nervous if I saw that!

I think I just thought that most houses had some sort of barrier so I felt we should have one and it would look bad if we didn't.

Seems like a good enough reason for me not to bother, for now anyway. We'll see what happens when we go to sell the house. For now I'll just save the $3200 I think

Thanks ABC and fish
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Sneaky little bs but if you get checked regularly and show that you have had the house checked before selling may be a cheaper option than putting in a barrier if you are worried about it.

The concrete rings are a dead give away for a house that has been treated. Also beware of any house that has paving up to the walls on sand above the plastic barrier.

As we built our own house we had the brickie wrap the barrier as its supposed to be but most builders these days just seem to leave it flapping in the wind and cut it off, leaving the house vulnerable to damp and termites.

Termites are everywhere these days due to the old sleeper in the garden craze of the seventies and early eighties.

Termiforce do an inspection with heat seeking equipment. Had a client at work who had it done on a very new house and of course no termites, but they did find that the electrics had a hot spot and probably saved her from a fire.