Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tennants rights?

Tennants rights?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennants rights?

Hi all,

Anybody know anything about tenants rights in NSW?

I (we) are living in the same house as the landlord on a shared basis, but he is now moving out. Up until now, we have been on a rolling 2 weeks tenancy agreement, and we were all very happy.

Now that he is moving out however, he has told us that he wants us to leave the house if we arn't willing to sign a 12 month lease agreement. I have said that I am willing to sign a 6 month contract, with a view to renewing again in another 6 months, but he is not having any of it. Am I the only person that thinks this is a little harsh? We have 5 weeks in which to decide...

Does anybody have ideas as to where we stand, or where I could find any information...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Apr 27th 2007 at 3:13 am. Reason: Ooops. Spelt tenants wrong...
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tennants rights?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi all,

I (we) are living in the same house as the landlord on a shared basis, but he is now moving out. Up until now, we have been on a rolling 2 weeks tenancy agreement, and we were all very happy.

Now that he is moving out however, he has told us that he wants us to leave the house if we arn't willing to sign a 12 month lease agreement. I have said that I am willing to sign a 6 month contract, with a view to renewing again in another 6 months, but he is not having any of it. Am I the only person that thinks this is a little harsh? We have 5 weeks in which to decide...

Does anybody have ideas as to where we stand, or where I could find any information...

S
i guess the office of fair trading is the most likely place to start
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/re...s/tenants.html
i'd try giving them a call and asking for some advice on it
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

S

Try this list:

http://www.naclc.org.au/directory/qld.html
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i guess the office of fair trading is the most likely place to start
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/re...s/tenants.html
i'd try giving them a call and asking for some advice on it
Cheers for that guys - I've just spoken to fair trading, and it appears that he will have to give us 60 days written notice of termination, otherwise we can claim compensation back from him.

I got through on the phone first time, no waiting in a queue, and the lady was extremely helpful, and has Emailed me the fact sheets and links to the relevant legal pages...

I dread to think of what how long that would have taken with Leicester City council...

S
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:43 am

Cheers for that guys - I've just spoken to fair trading, and it appears that he will have to give us 60 days written notice of termination, otherwise we can claim compensation back from him.

I got through on the phone first time, no waiting in a queue, and the lady was extremely helpful, and has Emailed me the fact sheets and links to the relevant legal pages...

I dread to think of what how long that would have taken with Leicester City council...

S
they are good aren't they, that's why they came to mind first up
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:46 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by gedge
they are good aren't they, that's why they came to mind first up
To be fiar, I often find that with govenrment services here - they do seem to have a much stronger 'customer satisfaction' ethic than the uk.

I think I've had positive call handling experiences with the ATO, Medicare, the RTA...

S
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:49 am

To be fiar, I often find that with govenrment services here - they do seem to have a much stronger 'customer satisfaction' ethic than the uk.

I think I've had positive call handling experiences with the ATO, Medicare, the RTA...

S
i felt similar with legal assist or whatever they're called after my bike accident, they couldn't have been more helpful
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:09 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

S
I think you've been lucky mate! We get quite a few complaints about Fair Trading's call centre...

It's most likely a case of who you get - most people will get someone decent, some people will get someone exceptional, and an unlucky few will get an @rsewipe.

Eg the other day I went to return something to Myer, the assistant was a right cow. In fact, that's the 2nd unhelpful assistant I've been served by in Myers recently.

My medicare experiences - the woman who refused to believe we were entitled to medicare; the woman who put the wrong date on our documentation. My RTA experiences - 30 to 40 minute waits to be seen.

But besides all that, sorry to hear re your renting issues. What about issuing him an ultimatium - a six month lease or he can go through the hassle of finding a new tenant... (though would it be that hard at the moment )
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:13 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by chels
I think you've been lucky mate! We get quite a few complaints about Fair Trading's call centre...

It's most likely a case of who you get - most people will get someone decent, some people will get someone exceptional, and an unlucky few will get an @rsewipe.

Eg the other day I went to return something to Myer, the assistant was a right cow. In fact, that's the 2nd unhelpful assistant I've been served by in Myers recently.

My medicare experiences - the woman who refused to believe we were entitled to medicare; the woman who put the wrong date on our documentation. My RTA experiences - 30 to 40 minute waits to be seen.

But besides all that, sorry to hear re your renting issues. What about issuing him an ultimatium - a six month lease or he can go through the hassle of finding a new tenant... (though would it be that hard at the moment )
I think the ultimatum will be a 6 month lease, or he can go through the hastle of finding tenants after our 60 day notice period has expired, when he should be in the US!

S
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:22 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I think the ultimatum will be a 6 month lease, or he can go through the hastle of finding tenants after our 60 day notice period has expired, when he should be in the US!

S
btw shouldn't it be Tenants' or Tenants rights?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tennants rights?

Originally Posted by chels
btw shouldn't it be Tenants' or Tenants rights?
Tenants' rights, yes.

Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Tenants' rights, yes.

this isn't about special brew?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:03 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Tenants' rights, yes.

It's mean of me to take pleasure from pointing out a former teacher's spelling mistakes