Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tenancy Agreement Dates?

Tenancy Agreement Dates?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:09 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tenancy Agreement Dates?

Hey......

Took out a tenancy agreement yesterday, kind of confused....Due to Xmas, we were asked to extend the six month agreement a little so to make it easier to evacuate the property when the holiday period is over...

What i do not understand is how it works over here....We got the keys yesterday so the 21st June, moved in today, long story but the power was off, so had no choice, but our agreement started yesterday,we, i guess started paying rent from yesterday? Our agreement ends on the 18th January 2013, so just under seven months....What i do not understand is if you take the dates inclusive, it works out at 30 weeks and two days, if you take the dates as exclusive it is exactly 30 weeks. The day we got the keys at 3pm, was that not included, the 21st June 2012? The day we vacate on the 18th of Jan 2013, is that not included? Just cannot work it out? If you leave out the 21st June 2012, the day we got the keys, and leave out the day we vacate the property, the 18th January 2013, it comes in at dead on 30 weeks.........Otherwise its 30 weeks and two days

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tenancy Agreement Dates?

Originally Posted by carling black label
Hey......

Took out a tenancy agreement yesterday, kind of confused....Due to Xmas, we were asked to extend the six month agreement a little so to make it easier to evacuate the property when the holiday period is over...

What i do not understand is how it works over here....We got the keys yesterday so the 21st June, moved in today, long story but the power was off, so had no choice, but our agreement started yesterday,we, i guess started paying rent from yesterday? Our agreement ends on the 18th January 2013, so just under seven months....What i do not understand is if you take the dates inclusive, it works out at 30 weeks and two days, if you take the dates as exclusive it is exactly 30 weeks. The day we got the keys at 3pm, was that not included, the 21st June 2012? The day we vacate on the 18th of Jan 2013, is that not included? Just cannot work it out? If you leave out the 21st June 2012, the day we got the keys, and leave out the day we vacate the property, the 18th January 2013, it comes in at dead on 30 weeks.........Otherwise its 30 weeks and two days

Any thoughts?
Are they going to give you the two days rent free because you adjusted the tenancy to suit them, its worth a try ......... if not do not worry about the extra two days but normally I would not have included moving in and out days when I was renting my house out.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:02 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Usually you pay from when you sign the lease and pick up the keys to the day you return the keys, providing your not break a lease.

So 3pm still means you pay for that day, cos you could have had a truck ready to move in that day and be sleeping in the house.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:04 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
Hey......

Any thoughts?
You pay rent and your tenancy agreement should run from the day you pick up the keys, to the day you return the keys. Some agencies specify times for these, others do not. So in some cases you can pick up the keys at 9am and drop them off before 5pm, and you pay rent for both those days.
The agents will not bother that it is 30 weeks and 2 days, their rental package calculates the rent for them. It will be based around what day of the week it is and who will be around to do an outgoing unless you asked for something different.
Scotty