Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ten Pound Poms TV show

Ten Pound Poms TV show

Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ten Pound Poms TV show

I watched a recent tv program called 'Ten Pound Poms' downloaded from UKNova and had to laugh at all the things people were saying 20+ years ago that match what I read everyday here. Classics like 'They are ten years behind the UK' and 'we are treated like second class citizens ' were all being said.

I was interested to find out the source of this 'whinging pom' comment that I have heard many times. Apparently it comes from the first ten pound poms that came over, they were sold on a perfect life. They were told they would get a house a job provided for them but when they arrived many went into houses that were like tin shacks with very basic 3rd world like amenities provided for them. Obviously it didnt take long for them to quickly become fed up living in such povety and when they tried to complain the title whinging pom was created.

Personally I dont blame them, looking at what they had to live like. It makes you appreciate what we have now, I couldn't live without my air con !

I would recommend every expat head over to uknova and download it, its great to see what they went through.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Ten Pound Poms TV show

Originally Posted by dave99
I watched a recent tv program called 'Ten Pound Poms' downloaded from UKNova and had to laugh at all the things people were saying 20+ years ago that match what I read everyday here. Classics like 'They are ten years behind the UK' and 'we are treated like second class citizens ' were all being said.

I was interested to find out the source of this 'whinging pom' comment that I have heard many times. Apparently it comes from the first ten pound poms that came over, they were sold on a perfect life. They were told they would get a house a job provided for them but when they arrived many went into houses that were like tin shacks with very basic 3rd world like amenities provided for them. Obviously it didnt take long for them to quickly become fed up living in such povety and when they tried to complain the title whinging pom was created.

Personally I dont blame them, looking at what they had to live like. It makes you appreciate what we have now, I couldn't live without my air con !

I would recommend every expat head over to uknova and download it, its great to see what they went through.
LOL, that would be great to watch. I have always thought the first poms here had it hard. My parents were going to come here, but backed out at the last minute. They have no regrets.
The whinging Poms are the new Aussies.