Temprary stay for the first Month in Sydney

Temprary stay for the first Month in Sydney

Old Feb 26th 2003, 6:52 am
JSK
Just Joined

JSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temprary stay for the first Month in Sydney

Hi
My wife ,my baby (1 year old) and myself are heading to Sydney end of May ,eraly June.We were thinking of renting a holiday apartment for the first month so it will give us enough time to sort out our affairs (find something more permanent).
Does any one have an idea of a good place (Mind you i am coming with a baby i can't sleep in backpackers and places in these levels ,although i would have loved too...).
I saw in the web mainly the "Waldorf hotel" chain renting furnished apartments ,did anyone have any experience with these guys?Or any other institution?
Any helpfull hints will be much appreciated.
J
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:39 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in a Waldorf place, up in Hornsby, six weeks two adults, two kids. Place fine and can recommend - for further details email me

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

GundamWing is an unknown quantity at this point

can recommend to me as I heading to Sydney end of may or early june for 4 weeks.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 6:57 am
JSK
Just Joined

Originally posted by Sandra
I stayed in a Waldorf place, up in Hornsby, six weeks two adults, two kids. Place fine and can recommend - for further details email me

Cheers
Thanks Sandra
Very helpfull ,few questions:
Do you beilive that 1 bedroom is enough (2 adults &1 baby) ?Do they have washer and dryer ?If we want to explore the suburbs and Sydney,in order to find something more permanent, is it a good location ? Is it a friendly neighbourhood?
Do they have parking space?Any idea on their off-seson rates?
Thanks again
Jacob
Old Feb 27th 2003, 10:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I paid 800 a week for a two bed which was excellent for four, I think the one beds are about 700, but phone for latest rates. I think all the Waldorf places are good so go for a more central one if you want. Hornsby suited us cause it meant we were the saide of Sydney where I work. It has a super transport link via Hornsby Station, which is only a walk away, yes there was parking but the train is an excellent way to start getting around and fairly reasonable. There is a large shopping centre a few minutes walk away, actaully it is a very Westfield, with restaurants, cinema, banks etc etc and everything else you might possibly need near you. We found this very useful to start getting things done, even if we had to travel a few other places for some things, Tax No, in Chatswood and the like.

There was washer and dryer and dishwasher, linen towels, and everything else you would need, laundry (sheets towels) was done once a week, we actually came off the plane with our clothes and in six weeks did not have to buy a thing for the place till we moved to our rental. Phone was there but you pay to use it, heating and light was all inclusive and in May and June, boy did we use that heating.

Place felt a little damp but we soon learned so do most places around that time of year especially North Shore cause of humidity etc (you should have seen the damp in one rental we went to look at)

Where you stay for a little while can depend on where you think you might want to live in the long term, I am biased to North Shore - do you know where you want to stay long term, where might you be working and do you want apartment or house when you do decide to settle (rental or buy) - cause the more detai you give on this site the more people can help, I know there are different couples renting apartments and buying houses and house/land packages we have different but equally valid points.

Anyway as usual I have rambled on enough, let me know if you have any other questions
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 8:51 am
JSK
Just Joined

Originally posted by Sandra
I paid 800 a week for a two bed which was excellent for four, I think the one beds are about 700, but phone for latest rates. I think all the Waldorf places are good so go for a more central one if you want. Hornsby suited us cause it meant we were the saide of Sydney where I work. It has a super transport link via Hornsby Station, which is only a walk away, yes there was parking but the train is an excellent way to start getting around and fairly reasonable. There is a large shopping centre a few minutes walk away, actaully it is a very Westfield, with restaurants, cinema, banks etc etc and everything else you might possibly need near you. We found this very useful to start getting things done, even if we had to travel a few other places for some things, Tax No, in Chatswood and the like.

There was washer and dryer and dishwasher, linen towels, and everything else you would need, laundry (sheets towels) was done once a week, we actually came off the plane with our clothes and in six weeks did not have to buy a thing for the place till we moved to our rental. Phone was there but you pay to use it, heating and light was all inclusive and in May and June, boy did we use that heating.

Place felt a little damp but we soon learned so do most places around that time of year especially North Shore cause of humidity etc (you should have seen the damp in one rental we went to look at)

Where you stay for a little while can depend on where you think you might want to live in the long term, I am biased to North Shore - do you know where you want to stay long term, where might you be working and do you want apartment or house when you do decide to settle (rental or buy) - cause the more detai you give on this site the more people can help, I know there are different couples renting apartments and buying houses and house/land packages we have different but equally valid points.

Anyway as usual I have rambled on enough, let me know if you have any other questions

Great tips Sandra
Let me tell you a bit about my self.I am an Israeli guy ,qualified CPA which have been working mainly if the Hi-Tech industry in the last few years (mainly multinational companies ). I guess i will try to find a place in St. Ivry or Bondai ,depends on the cost and the availibilty of the apartments.Coming from a small country in which a house is only something you can dream on (unless you are really loaded) my first preference would be a house (but again depends on the cost) . I still have not find a job in Sydney but i will start be more seriouse when i get there , i do not beilive it can be done form Israel.I am also aware of the fact that i have to do conversion courses (6 hours a week ,not something that prevent me from working) in order to get local qualification ,i was thinking of taking these courses in the univesity of Sydney (even though i have no experience with it).Taking that into account where do you think is the best place for me to locate my family upon arrival?
Thanks
J