Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temporary visa and girlfriend !

Temporary visa and girlfriend !

Old Aug 16th 2002, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

ColinHanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary visa and girlfriend !

I am hopefully going to be sponsored to work in NSW for Qantas for a period of at least 2 years. I would like my girlfriend to come with me and be able to work out there.

We are not living together although we would have been in a couple of months if we had been staying !

Can anyone advise on how I can get her out there legally and able to work ?

Can she be put on my visa application ? What if we were engaged to be married (which is part of the plan) ?

If we were to get married would they see it as 'a marriage of convenience' and reject it ?

Regards,

Colin
Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary visa and girlfriend !

It's not worth all the hassle mate. Get a new one when you arrive in Australia.
Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

ColinHanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd:
It's not worth all the hassle mate. Get a new one when you arrive in Australia.
Thanks very much for that useless piece of advice. I thought these message boards were for people to share USEFUL suggestions !
Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:53 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Bide yer time mate.
I'm sure you'll get a serious answer sooner or later.This forum thrives on its humour
It's been a long wait for some of us, it's only the "British sense of humour " that brings us down to earth

Note: this reply contains a minimum of 4 cliche's

Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Colin - You obviously don't know how rough the Aussie birds are otherwise you'd have realised I was joking.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 2:52 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ColinHanna:
I am hopefully going to be sponsored to work in NSW for Qantas for a period of at least 2 years. I would like my girlfriend to come with me and be able to work out there.

We are not living together although we would have been in a couple of months if we had been staying !

Can anyone advise on how I can get her out there legally and able to work ?

Can she be put on my visa application ? What if we were engaged to be married (which is part of the plan) ?

If we were to get married would they see it as 'a marriage of convenience' and reject it ?

Regards,

Colin
Colin,

I assume it’s a Business pass, It doesn’t really matter anyway. You can name your girlfriend as your spouse (de-facto, and add her to the all the official forms. I’m in a de – facto relationship. My partner and I first came here by being sponsored by a company. You’re girlfriend will be allowed to work, once she’s here, like you, it’s just a matter of applying for a tax file number.
When my partner and I applied, we just gathered as much information as possible to prove that we were in a de-facto relationship – Bills, Bank receipts, and we also had a letter from the British High commission to say we were in a de-facto relationship, which I think made things easier for us . You do not need to get married to bring your girlfriend here, the Australian government/immigration recognizes de-facto relationships unlike a lot of Asian countries etc.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:17 pm
Colin Hanna

Thanks for your reply. We won't be able to get any documents etc to prove a de-facto
relationship as we don't live together and hence dont have any joint bills etc.

Will we have a problem then do you think ? Would a Statuatory Declaration or
something like that be sufficient ?

Colin

"Ceri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ColinHanna:
    > > I am hopefully going to be sponsored to work in NSW for Qantas for a period of at
    > > least 2 years. I would like my girlfriend to come with me and be able to work out
    > > there.
    > >
    > > We are not living together although we would have been in a couple of months if
    > > we had been staying !
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise on how I can get her out there legally and able to work ?
    > >
    > > Can she be put on my visa application ? What if we were engaged to be married
    > > (which is part of the plan) ?
    > >
    > > If we were to get married would they see it as 'a marriage of convenience' and
    > > reject it ?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Colin
    > Colin,
    > I assume it's a Business pass, It doesn't really matter anyway. You can name your
    > girlfriend as your spouse (de-facto, and add her to the all the official forms. I'm
    > in a de - facto relationship. My partner and I first came here by being sponsored
    > by a company. You're girlfriend will be allowed to work, once she's here, like you,
    > it's just a matter of applying for a tax file number. When my partner and I
    > applied, we just gathered as much information as possible to prove that we were in
    > a de-facto relationship - Bills, Bank receipts, and we also had a letter from the
    > British High commission to say we were in a de-facto relationship, which I think
    > made things easier for us . You do not need to get married to bring your girlfriend
    > here, the Australian government/immigration recognizes de-facto relationships
    > unlike a lot of Asian countries etc.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 19th 2002, 2:32 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Hanna:
Thanks for your reply. We won't be able to get any documents etc to prove a de-facto
relationship as we don't live together and hence dont have any joint bills etc.

Will we have a problem then do you think ? Would a Statuatory Declaration or
something like that be sufficient ?

Colin

I’m trying to think what was actually on the forms (It was about 5yrs ago I came here).

There is a few ways that you can do it.
What “we� actually did was, one of us came in on a business pass (company sponsored), the other on a “tourist visa�. Then, I’m pretty sure the company sponsored both of us. I seem to remember that the company put up a thousand dollars each for us (this is how much it cost to lodge the forms to immigration). We were lucky as we had a letter from the British High commission declaring our relationship (We got this when we were living in Singapore – because Singapore doesn’t really recognize de –facto’s)

Try and get your company to sponsor the both of you as a de-facto couple (even though you’re not living together as yet) offer the company your working for to pay for the costs to sponsor your girlfriend. All the Australian immigration is worried about is that you, or your partner won’t be a financial burden to the country.

The other thing which may be worth looking into if your girlfriend is under the age of 28 (I think that’s the maximum age) , is a get a working/holiday visa for her, I think it’s a year visa (it’s what the back packers normally get).

I’m trying hard to think what the requirements were on the forms, but it was 5 years ago now.
The only other suggestion I can think of is to make an appointment with someone in the Australian Embassy/High commission in the UK To find out the exactly what you need to do.
cheers