Wikiposts

Temporary Visa

Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Jaybee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Visa

HI ,I am in the process of applying for a job based in Brisbane.The employer would like me because of timescales to come over on a Temporary Visa and then if I decided to stay apply for Permanent Residency while I was there.Does anybody have a similar experience any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Visa

Originally Posted by Jaybee
HI ,I am in the process of applying for a job based in Brisbane.The employer would like me because of timescales to come over on a Temporary Visa and then if I decided to stay apply for Permanent Residency while I was there.Does anybody have a similar experience any advice would be much appreciated.
Lots of people have ended up in a total mess on the temporary visa if their job hasn't worked out, or there's some change in their circumstances after arriving, or they get refused PR for some reason (eg a health problem).

The following is essential reading.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Well prepared permanent employer visa applications can often be processed quickly, although now a skill assessment will be required in many cases for immediate PR.

And 457 visas often take longer than people expect.

If you must move on a 457 make sure you're well aware of the risks and the employer is going to pick up the tab for *all* extra costs (or denied benefits) linked to you not having PR - including full medical cover and any school/uni fees that might be charged. Make sure also the employer is obliged to repatriate you to the UK at *his* expense if you don't get PR for whatever reason.

These clauses can be written in such a way that they cease to have effect as soon as you become PRs.

Jeremy
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Hello Jeremy thanks for that .I need to get as much advice like this ,so I can come to the right decision.
Thanks again.
Jaybee
Originally Posted by JAJ
Lots of people have ended up in a total mess on the temporary visa if their job hasn't worked out, or there's some change in their circumstances after arriving, or they get refused PR for some reason (eg a health problem).

The following is essential reading.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Well prepared permanent employer visa applications can often be processed quickly, although now a skill assessment will be required in many cases for immediate PR.

And 457 visas often take longer than people expect.

If you must move on a 457 make sure you're well aware of the risks and the employer is going to pick up the tab for *all* extra costs (or denied benefits) linked to you not having PR - including full medical cover and any school/uni fees that might be charged. Make sure also the employer is obliged to repatriate you to the UK at *his* expense if you don't get PR for whatever reason.

These clauses can be written in such a way that they cease to have effect as soon as you become PRs.

Jeremy
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:21 am
cath & rig

Cath & Rig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jeremy thanks for that .I need to get as much advice like this ,so I can come to the right decision.
Thanks again.
Jaybee
Hi Jaybee,
Have been on a 457 for around 6 months so maybe of help. Jeremy is correct that the 457 is not for everybody and there are hidden costs i.e medical insurance that you have to bear in mind. However you do get quite a large tax break with LAFHA especially if your renting. If you have any questions please give me a shout.
R
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cath & Rig
Hi Jaybee,
Have been on a 457 for around 6 months so maybe of help. Jeremy is correct that the 457 is not for everybody and there are hidden costs i.e medical insurance that you have to bear in mind. However you do get quite a large tax break with LAFHA especially if your renting. If you have any questions please give me a shout.
R
Hi Rig thanks for the reply.How much does it cost for you and your partner for medical insurance per month .Sorry to sound a bit thick but what does
LAFHA stand for(I'm new to all this!).Do you have plans to become a permanent resident.Any other advice that you think may help would be great.
Cheers Jaybee
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

.Sorry to sound a bit thick but what does
LAFHA stand for(I'm new to all this!).
LAFHA = Living Away From Home Allowance.

Jeremy
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

As temp visa holders (we've been here just over a year) there are other hidden extras you need to think about. For example, if you have kids in a school (public, not private) school in NSW you will have to pay up to $5500 per child per year. Private healthcare isn't absolutely essential, as (if you are from the UK) you will get reciprocal medicare. However this will only (part) cover essential treatment - and we've found recently it's becoming more difficult to claim back expenses (more from a burocratic rather than tightening up) - as you need to produce both the doctors report and the receipt
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kevmitch
As temp visa holders (we've been here just over a year) there are other hidden extras you need to think about. For example, if you have kids in a school (public, not private) school in NSW you will have to pay up to $5500 per child per year. Private healthcare isn't absolutely essential, as (if you are from the UK) you will get reciprocal medicare. However this will only (part) cover essential treatment - and we've found recently it's becoming more difficult to claim back expenses (more from a burocratic rather than tightening up) - as you need to produce both the doctors report and the receipt
Not sure what the school fees are in Queensland but $5500 a year certainly is something to consider.My son Joe has just turned 5 I don't think he would start school until January.Do you find yourself better off now than you were in the UK bearing in mind the wages seem to be lower.Is the cost of living cheaper.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the school fees are in Queensland but $5500 a year certainly is something to consider.My son Joe has just turned 5 I don't think he would start school until January.Do you find yourself better off now than you were in the UK bearing in mind the wages seem to be lower.Is the cost of living cheaper.
Temp visa holders do not pay state school fees in QLD.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:03 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Temp visa holders do not pay state school fees in QLD.
True.
Also charges for private are the same for residents or temps.
However, pre-school fees are much higher (double!) as they are not subsidised when you are on a 457 like me.

Andrew
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:16 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
True.
However, pre-school fees are much higher (double!) as they are not subsidised when you are on a 457 like me.

Andrew

For clarity, I presume you are refering to private pre-school - not state pre-school which is free.

Also, just to note, my daughter attends private pre-school for about 5 days/fortnight (as well as state 5 days/fortnight). The cost per term is about $400 which covers 9am - 2:30pm. Longer hours/more days may cost a lot more.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:06 am
Just Joined

True.

Andrew
What age do children start school in Queensland.My son is 5 this month but has been in full time school since september.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:16 am
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We are on 457 visa and living in Brisbane - we have been here 4 months and are waiting for a response to our PR application.

You don't pay for state schooling in Queensland - although you will have to pay a semester invoice and for all your childs school stationery - from memory the invoice was about $150 and the stationery just over $100 for a dictionary, exercise books, pens, crayons, art and music books etc - great big long list. Invoice includes some school activities but not all - we also had to pay for swimming lessons which are compulsory until your child can swim.

We are on reciprocal medicare as we are only temporary residents. medicare will bill the NHS for any medical bills.

Your son will start school in the January following his 5th birthday but the cut off date is 30 june. My youngest is 4 on 6 July this year and she would have been due to start school in September this year in the UK. Now she won't start until January 2007 - we might be lucky and get a pre school place for 2 days per week from January 2006 if there is a space. Currently she goes to a private Kindy 2 days per week which costs me $78 per week. Once we get our PR depending on our total income we should get a subsidy from Centre Link and when I spoke to them they said they may be able to backdate it.

We came on 457 because it was quick and the company my husband is working for have been really good helping us settle. Our lifestyle is much better as Paul works less hours and has much more time to spend with us. 457 is OK but not ideal long term - make sure you make plans to apply asap - we plan on getting our citizenship in 2 years time then we will be able to live in the UK again if we want without worrying that we would have to go through all the red tape again.

Hope this helps - If you want to send me a PM i will try and answer all your questions - although I don't profess to be the font of all knowledge - we are still new here!

Take care

Donna
Old Apr 11th 2005, 11:03 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
For clarity, I presume you are refering to private pre-school - not state pre-school which is free.

Also, just to note, my daughter attends private pre-school for about 5 days/fortnight (as well as state 5 days/fortnight). The cost per term is about $400 which covers 9am - 2:30pm. Longer hours/more days may cost a lot more.
Didn't know there were state pre-schools. Or, maybe there is a waiting list or my wife looked at them and didn't like them and therefore didn't tell me they existed (most likley!)
My daughter (4 next week) goes twice a week for 09:00 - 14:30 for $86. Would be $44 if we were PR.
Mind you, it really is a fantastic school and my daughter loves going there and is learning so much.

Andrew
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:27 pm
Karma Comedian

Didn't know there were state pre-schools. Or, maybe there is a waiting list or my wife looked at them and didn't like them and therefore didn't tell me they existed (most likley!)

Andrew

Start here:

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/mo...preschools.htm