temporary visa

Old May 9th 2002, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Location: 68 west view road sutton coldfield west midlands B75 6AZ
arthur newton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temporary visa

My wife and I are considering going to live in Australia, but we need to know answers to the following questions before we process an application ( We are both pensioners) :-

1) The annual income requirement of $A 45,000, is this gross income or income after tax.

2) Is the annual figure mentioned in 1) for both of us or for each of us.

3) If we are accepted for residence will our income be taxed in U.K. or Australia or both countries.
Old May 10th 2002, 12:40 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temporary visa

Hello Arthur.

In answer to your questions:

1. If you are in the UK the A$45k figure is treated as after tax in respect of UK source income, but as gross in respect of Australian-source income - even though pension income deriving from the UK is taxable in Australia once you have moved there (and which incidentally is a point I am going to take up with the High Commission).

So if you receive a pension that is the equivalent of (say) $30k after tax and gross investment income in Australia of $16k you would meet the requirement.

2. The annual income is for you and your wife combined.

3. Your income will be taxed in Australia once you have become resident there. As to whether there is any UK tax payable - this depends on where the income derives and the terms of the UK-Australia Tax Treaty, but in any event you will be given credit for any UK tax suffered when establishing your net tax liability in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to mail me directly if you have any more questions.
Old May 10th 2002, 11:20 am
Jaj

I see Alan has given answers to your questions, I would suggest that if you are going
down the retirement visa route you should be very careful about severing your ties in
the UK to live in Australia on a temporary visa, which gives you no route to
permanent residence or citizenship.

Have a look at this article by Ian Harrop on retirement visas:
http://members.aol.com/ianharrop/news8.htm

Jeremy

>On 9 May 2002 19:20:48 GMT, arthur newton <[email protected]> wrote:

>My wife and I are considering going to live in Australia, but we need to know
    >answers to the following questions before we process an application ( We are both
    >pensioners) :-
    >
    >1) The annual income requirement of $A 45,000, is this gross income or income
    > after tax.
    >
    >2) Is the annual figure mentioned in 1) for both of us or for each of us.
    >
    >3) If we are accepted for residence will our income be taxed in U.K. or Australia or
    > both countries.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 10th 2002, 3:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Jeremy,

Alan's advice was correct, particularly about the strange treatment of gross onshore
income but after tax offshore income which defies logic.

Re the continuation of retirement visas after the initial grant, the question of
whether Ian's article is entirely correct has been argued here before. It is true
that the legislation was changed in 1999, but whether the change have quite the
impact he says will need to be litigated, as there is considerable scope for a
simpler and more beneficient interpretation. I think that Ian's article may convey
Departmental policy, but that is as high as it goes.

You should also bear in mind that many people obtaining the initial retirement visa
will then apply for a parent visa onshore which as you know now has a 45 year
processing wait, and this actually gives many more rights than a retirement visa.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au JAJ wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >I see Alan has given answers to your questions, I would suggest that if you are
    >going down the retirement visa route you should be very careful about severing your
    >ties in the UK to live in Australia on a temporary visa, which gives you no route to
    >permanent residence or citizenship.
    >
    >Have a look at this article by Ian Harrop on retirement visas:
    >http://members.aol.com/ianharrop/news8.htm
    >
    >Jeremy
    >
    >>On 9 May 2002 19:20:48 GMT, arthur newton <[email protected]>
wrote:
    >
    >>My wife and I are considering going to live in Australia, but we need to know
    >>answers to the following questions before we process an application ( We are both
    >>pensioners) :-
    >>
    >>1) The annual income requirement of $A 45,000, is this gross income or income
    >> after tax.
    >>
    >>2) Is the annual figure mentioned in 1) for both of us or for each of us.
    >>
    >>3) If we are accepted for residence will our income be taxed in U.K. or Australia
    >> or both countries.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >>Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 23rd 2003, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How are the new rules working out?

George has suggested that the practical implementation of the rule changes (on retirement visa health - meaning that your visa might be ubruptly terminated) might not be as bad as suggested in Ian Harrop's article.
As the rules changed in 1999, there ought to be practicacal experience of how it is being interpreted.
Anybody any knowledge of this?
Art