Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temporary spouse visa.....are we in trouble?

Temporary spouse visa.....are we in trouble?

Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Max77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary spouse visa.....are we in trouble?

Hello everybody!

First of all our story in a nutshell:

I am Dutch and my girlfriend is Australian. In august 2004 we applied for a defacto spouse visa from the Netherlands where my girlfriend was living with me at that time. In May 2005 the visa was granted. Because of the date my medical was taken I had to make the initial entry before december 15th 2005.

In march 2005 my girlfriend went back to Australia to finish her degree, she had spent 2 years in The Netherlands with me but we both agreed taking another years break from university was a bit too much. The only thing standing in the way of me moving to Australia was the sale of my appartment. As there was still no real interest in my appartment I flew to Australia in November 2005 to make the initial entry and to spend some time with my girlfriend.

In April 2006 I have finally sold my appartment, from July 1st I had to move out and I am now temporarily living with my parents. The plan is for me to finally move to Australia in September.

Yesterday my girlfriend got a big envelope from DIMIA with the application for me for permanent residency. We always thought that that process would start 2 years after GRANT of the visa but apparently it is 2 years from the date of the application, our mistake
Just like the first application, DIMIA again requests evidence of our serious and lasting relationship. We have e-mails, phonebills but we also communicate a lot via msn and webcam. The problem is that since March 2005 we haven´t lived together because the sale of my appartment didn´t go as fast as anticipated. Now that my appartment is finally sold and I can move this came up and we are both worried that I will be rejected because we haven´t lived together lately.....

Can anybody give us information on this? Will DIMIA apply the rules very strict or will we get the chance to explain our situation (sale of house, girlfriends education)? Is DIMIA known to take situations like this into consideration and be a bit lenient?

I thank you in advance!

Grtz,
Max
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary spouse visa.....are we in trouble?

Originally Posted by Max77
Hello everybody!

First of all our story in a nutshell:

I am Dutch and my girlfriend is Australian. In august 2004 we applied for a defacto spouse visa from the Netherlands where my girlfriend was living with me at that time. In May 2005 the visa was granted. Because of the date my medical was taken I had to make the initial entry before december 15th 2005.

In march 2005 my girlfriend went back to Australia to finish her degree, she had spent 2 years in The Netherlands with me but we both agreed taking another years break from university was a bit too much. The only thing standing in the way of me moving to Australia was the sale of my appartment. As there was still no real interest in my appartment I flew to Australia in November 2005 to make the initial entry and to spend some time with my girlfriend.

In April 2006 I have finally sold my appartment, from July 1st I had to move out and I am now temporarily living with my parents. The plan is for me to finally move to Australia in September.

Yesterday my girlfriend got a big envelope from DIMIA with the application for me for permanent residency. We always thought that that process would start 2 years after GRANT of the visa but apparently it is 2 years from the date of the application, our mistake
Just like the first application, DIMIA again requests evidence of our serious and lasting relationship. We have e-mails, phonebills but we also communicate a lot via msn and webcam. The problem is that since March 2005 we haven´t lived together because the sale of my appartment didn´t go as fast as anticipated. Now that my appartment is finally sold and I can move this came up and we are both worried that I will be rejected because we haven´t lived together lately.....

Can anybody give us information on this? Will DIMIA apply the rules very strict or will we get the chance to explain our situation (sale of house, girlfriends education)? Is DIMIA known to take situations like this into consideration and be a bit lenient?

I thank you in advance!

Grtz,
Max
Max

Get on the phone to them for an answer. But my "feeling" and impression based on conversations with our agent is that they will want to interview you and that the circumstances ie living apart are just part of the relationship. We faced similar with me possibly being sent to China or Russia for 3 years while my wife (non australian) went ahead. In our situation it was irrelevant because we were married and had a daughter.

Good luck

Kiwi
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't really offer any advice but would say to give them a ring and ask them what they say about it all.

It might be worth contacting a migration agent and seeing if they can offer any advice.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I can't really offer any advice but would say to give them a ring and ask them what they say about it all.

It might be worth contacting a migration agent and seeing if they can offer any advice.
I've found generally when dealing with Aussie authorities that they respond to an honest approach, so I'd definitely say discuss it with them. Also, try posting on the immigration forum - I think that migration agents hang out there and they may be able to give you more constructive advice.

Good luck.