Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

temporary retirement health checks

temporary retirement health checks

Old Jul 25th 2004, 4:33 am
Just Joined

tmichael is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face temporary retirement health checks

In the final stages of retirement visa application. The only unknown is the health check. In common with most people when they get into the sixth decade of life there are bits that dont work quite as well as they used to.

In most of the details circulated TB and HIV are the main no no's. There is one other and that is if correcting or controlling a problem would impact on limited resources, such rationed items as dialysis, transplants etc.

When you have your check however, you learn that blood pressure is an automatic referal to a cardiologist. This leads on to diabetes checks, ultrasounds on hearts etc.

Apart from BP which is under control and asthma I am considered quite fit, my wife is anything but. The referals were for both of us, therefore presumably not selective.

It was mentioned at the health check that Australia has a Duty of Care policy. ie even if you pass the requirement, the tests are there so that you are aware of your deficiencies.

Question is has anybody any experience of what level of health will lead to rejection?
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry unduly. We had retirement visa medicals a year ago (and PR ones a bit later too) and the requirements are not exactly onerous.

If you can stand up without help and see the wall where the chart is (or make an intelligent guess as to which direction the wall is) you should be OK.

TB seems to be the thing they're hot on.

I had a heart "problem" picked up at a medical seven years ago, and mildly elevated BP but there was no trouble.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I got through the medical despite having asthma, high BP and chronic depression - all of which are controlled by medication. My BP went skyhigh at the medical (164 over something, when the pass mark is 150 for a 55 year old) so my medical was referred to Sydney but came back approved a month later. I didn't even get referred on to a cardiologist.

Difficult waiting, I know, but they seem to be pretty realistic about people wearing out. The one consolation is that private medical insurance here doesn't depend on past history - only age. Existing condidtions are not covered when you first arrive but if you can stay out of hospital during the first year (due to pre-existing things) you're covered after that. And it's cheaper than we were paying PPP in the UK for top-up cover.

Good luck

Lesley