Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temporary Residents...Do you have an Australian Credit Card??

Temporary Residents...Do you have an Australian Credit Card??

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Temporary Residents...Do you have an Australian Credit Card??

We are still trying to find a bank that will give us a credit card. So far all banks on the internet say for Permanent residents only. My OH has to fly all over Australia for work and a credit card would be useful for those expenses alone. Any help anyone?? We're here on this visa for 4 years but will be sponsored again sometime later this year for permanent sponsorship if we want to stay. Have you got an Australian credit card as a temporary resident?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:29 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Residents...Do you have an Australian Credit Card??

Have you tried Westpac...? They have a migrant banking division that sorted us out in no time...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:31 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parh
We are still trying to find a bank that will give us a credit card. So far all banks on the internet say for Permanent residents only. My OH has to fly all over Australia for work and a credit card would be useful for those expenses alone. Any help anyone?? We're here on this visa for 4 years but will be sponsored again sometime later this year for permanent sponsorship if we want to stay. Have you got an Australian credit card as a temporary resident?
Yes we did, ANZ gave us one with a $10k limit within weeks of us arriving.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Yes. We have been given credit cards by both Commonwealth Bank and ANZ.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We got cards with commonwealth and ANZ on a 457 visa but it all depends on your income level.
Nicky
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

We came on a 457 and got an ANZ CC within a week-as said before it may depend on your income.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:54 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the ANZhas an initial maximum limit of 10k for temporary residents irrespective of how much you earn.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

parh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of lightparh is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou for all of your replies, I'll keep trying!! We are with Westpac so will have to speak to them again!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:02 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Get his employer to provide one.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:37 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for one with NAB online - in the appication they only ask if you're a 'resident' of Australia - not a 'permanent resident' - application was accepted no problem.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:09 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a card yet but I'm looking.

I've looked at every bank I can think of and most say that you need to earn $50,000 if you are a temporary resident.

Commonwealth Bank don't mention this though, and they don't have a PR requirement either.

I'm going to try NAB as per above post. Thanks !
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Getting a VISA debit card would most likely be easier. There are no credit checks. You just open an account with the bank (St George for example) and the VISA card is linked to your savings account. This card can be used the same way as a credit card, at all terminals VISA is accepeted yet you're not using credit. It also has no annual fee. You pay a monthly fee of $5 or so just like most Aussie bank accounts.

http://stgeorge.com.au/accounts/visa...p?orc=personal
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oliver1982
I don't have a card yet but I'm looking.

I've looked at every bank I can think of and most say that you need to earn $50,000 if you are a temporary resident.

Commonwealth Bank don't mention this though, and they don't have a PR requirement either.

I'm going to try NAB as per above post. Thanks !
Commonwealth Bank simply advised us to wait until my first salary payment had gone into the bank and then apply. We did this and were immediately authorised. The card with ANZ came as part of our mortgage package.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Commonwealth Bank simply advised us to wait until my first salary payment had gone into the bank and then apply. We did this and were immediately authorised. The card with ANZ came as part of our mortgage package.
I got one from ANZ when on a temp spouse visa.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:16 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I got one from ANZ when on a temp spouse visa.
I can add that I had one from Commonwealth and HSBC, but I was never a spouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.