Reload this Page >

Temporary Rental in Sydney - Eastern or Southern Suburbs

Temporary Rental in Sydney - Eastern or Southern Suburbs

Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

SueJamesH will become famous soon enough
Default Temporary Rental in Sydney - Eastern or Southern Suburbs

Hi all

It's been a while since I have been on here!

I'm in the process of receiving my 457 Visa to come to Sydney but now need to start with the "real" planning...housing GULP. I have been searching in the internet for some temporary accommodation for a month or 2 until our shipment arrives, but I am really struggling to find a house with a garden within our budget. For the first 2 months, we will be on one salary whilst we settle in and then my husband will start to look for work, but for that time we want temporary accommodation within either the Eastern Suburbs or the Sutherland Shire area (I'll be working in Mascot). Does anyone have ANY advice about how to find a near decent furnished house with a garden for around $900 a week??? I've tried the usual places (domain.com.au and realestate.com.au - but they don't have many furnished places... and all the other sites only seem to have apartment blocks which I definitely don't want for the children.

Sorry it's so long - but ANY advice at all would be really really appreciated.

Oh - and we're moving right in the height of summer which isn't helping with the price range either!!

THANK YOU in advance!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Rental in Sydney - Eastern or Southern Suburbs

You could try www.stayz.com.au. Your budget of $900 for a furnished house might be tight, furnished is rare and comes at a premium.

Another option would be to get short stay / holiday letting for first couple of weeks and look for your long term rental immediately. Then either camp out or rent furniture whilst you wait for your container.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You could try www.stayz.com.au. Your budget of $900 for a furnished house might be tight, furnished is rare and comes at a premium.

Another option would be to get short stay / holiday letting for first couple of weeks and look for your long term rental immediately. Then either camp out or rent furniture whilst you wait for your container.
Thanks Bermudashorts - your thoughts are similar to mine... I thought I may struggle with the budget. I took a look at staz.com.au and found quite a few properties on there but most slightly above my budget.

Thank you for the advice - really useful
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

Not sure about finding a furnished place because I think in Australia a lot of rentals are unfurnished. However, with regards to suburbs if you are working in Mascot I would look around Newtown, Erskinville and Alexandria. Otherwise go to the east like Coogee, Randwick, Clovelly etc.
The south is perfectly fine but I don't think it is as nice as the East IMO.

Can you just buy some super cheap furniture until you settle?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sea Of Love
Not sure about finding a furnished place because I think in Australia a lot of rentals are unfurnished. However, with regards to suburbs if you are working in Mascot I would look around Newtown, Erskinville and Alexandria. Otherwise go to the east like Coogee, Randwick, Clovelly etc.
The south is perfectly fine but I don't think it is as nice as the East IMO.

Can you just buy some super cheap furniture until you settle?
Yes, we were thinking that East may be best... I would much prefer to have easy access to the beach I think... but I think I may have to live in a hotel/apartment for the first 2 weeks to give us time to look around and find the right place... and yes - temp furniture may have to be an option - Im sure we can live on airbeds for a while!!!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:23 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Are you working close enough to Mascot (or another) train station so you could take the train (bearing in mind there's a premium on tickets to/from Mascot because it was built privately - check cityrail website for exact costs)?

Cos that would:

a) open up a whole lot of property along the East Hills line which is all houses with gardens for 2.5 kid families. Bardwell Park and Bexley have nice streets and good parks but the further you go out, the more modern the architecture and more snoozeworthy the neighbourhoods imvho

b) mean you weren't commuting by car or bus into Mascot, which is a bit tedious if you work normal office hours. However, my friend does shiftwork at funny hours and that means it's a breeze on the motorway.

I don't think your budget is ridiculous. The suggestion to camp out may be worth considering - because once your furniture shows up, then you'll have two loads of furniture (yours and the landlord's) to deal with. But it's a bit of a drag waiting for it to arrive, to be sure.