Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temporary B.V. shall we or not????

Temporary B.V. shall we or not????

Old Jan 1st 2003, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

minnican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Business Visa... help?? shall we or not??

Hi there everyone... this is a brillant site... just came across it by mistake... so much information and people seem very helpful... Would appreciate your views on my situation...
We are a married couple with two small children 2 and 6... we live in a nice part of the country (the cotswolds)... my husband has his own business importing cars and makes a decent living and does not work too hard... I am a careworker (sometimes called supportworker).. I did actually qualified and obtain my nvq level 2... but no one seems to think that qualfies you under the skilled mirgration (comments appreciated).... anyway.... my husband spent 2 years in Australia and loved it... the Sunshine coasts is where he would like to live...

Cutting a long story short.... the only way we could get into australia is on a temporary business visa... which is fine but we are not really sure what business we would want to go into as yet and whether we could make a sucess or not... financially we are quite well off here.. but to me this is a hell of a chance to take I was wondering if anyone else has taken similar risks... It does sound a great country especially for the children and the weather is a big pull for myself and one life and all that... is it worth the risk.... would be really interested to here similar situations.... thanks very much

Last edited by minnican; Jan 1st 2003 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Roz Baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary Business Visa... help?? shall we or not??

Originally posted by minnican
Hi there everyone... this is a brillant site... just came across it by mistake... so much information and people seem very helpful... Would appreciate your views on my situation...
We are a married couple with two small children 2 and 6... we live in a nice part of the country (the cotswolds)... my husband has his own business importing cars and makes a decent living and does not work too hard... I am a careworker (sometimes called supportworker).. I did actually qualified and obtain my nvq level 2... but no one seems to think that qualfies you under the skilled mirgration (comments appreciated).... anyway.... my husband spent 2 years in Australia and loved it... the Sunshine coasts is where he would like to live...

Cutting a long story short.... the only way we could get into australia is on a temporary business visa... which is fine but we are not really sure what business we would want to go into as yet and whether we could make a sucess or not... financially we are quite well off here.. but to me this is a hell of a chance to take I was wondering if anyone else has taken similar risks... It does sound a great country especially for the children and the weather is a big pull for myself and one life and all that... is it worth the risk.... would be really interested to here similar situations.... thanks very much
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Temporary Business Visa... help?? shall we or not??

Hi there,

We are currently on a 4 year temporary business visa, (awaiting PR to come through probably April this year).

We ran our own small but very successful Automotive Paintwork repair business in Hampshire for 5 years, had a very comfortable life and the children were settled in fairly good schools - why the hell did we move here???

Well, we both felt there was more to life, were fed up with the rising crime, increasing traffic, and lots of other small issues which put together made us decide to take the plunge and try Oz.

We applied for PR on the family skilled sponsored ticket in September 2001, but as we're impatient people, also put through an application for a temp. bus. visa same time, and it came through 8 weeks later!

Moved over in May this year. Now in Brisbane Bayside.

We had intended to do the same line of work over here but after 3 months of banging our heads against brick walls (in the form of loads of cowboys doing work for peanuts, car dealerships not giving a XXXX about quality etc. we decided to change tack.

Now running a small kitchen and bathroom restoration service, which is slowly taking off.

We will NEVER be as well off financially over here - but have benefitted in other ways. Not sure if we'll stay permanently - don't think I can see myself wanting to spend the rest of my life here, but we're enjoying (I think) the experience.

The big drawback of a temp. bus. visa is that if, at the end of the 4 year period, you have not achieved the criteria (e.g. employing X amount of Oz citizens, turning over $X per annum etc. etc.) then you're OUT.

My advise is go for it, rent out in UK and come over for a while and see.
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks ever so much for sharing your experience with me.... We would have to sell our house because that is where our money is to be able to start a business in oz thats why I am dragging my feet a bit... I must admit after reading people thoughts and everything.. no one really seems like they think its really great over there.. .i could be wrong but that is what I am picking up... maybe the grass is not greener after all.... i thought that it would actually be a much better life for my children and us... especially the weather as i hate this countries wet, damp weather... But it sounds like real hard work to maybe try and start a business and be sucessful and it does seem like a high chance to take I am not saying it has put me off but I think I need to go into things a bit more and maybe actually spend some time over there.... rather than just going for it.... do you think????????

The Australians certainly dont make it easy for us brits to get in... even when they know financially people are well off... they still dont exactly welcome us with open arms.... I have learned more off this site than any information I have tried to gain from the Australian Embassy.....

I do hope your business is sucessfull and things work out for you... You deserve for it too after making such a big brave move.... good luck to you and your family.....

gill
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

thanks ever so much for sharing your experience with me.... We would have to sell our house because that is where our money is to be able to start a business in oz thats why I am dragging my feet a bit... I must admit after reading people thoughts and everything.. no one really seems like they think its really great over there.. .i could be wrong but that is what I am picking up... maybe the grass is not greener after all.... i thought that it would actually be a much better life for my children and us... especially the weather as i hate this countries wet, damp weather... But it sounds like real hard work to maybe try and start a business and be sucessful and it does seem like a high chance to take I am not saying it has put me off but I think I need to go into things a bit more and maybe actually spend some time over there.... rather than just going for it.... do you think????????

The Australians certainly dont make it easy for us brits to get in... even when they know financially people are well off... they still dont exactly welcome us with open arms.... I have learned more off this site than any information I have tried to gain from the Australian Embassy.....

I do hope your business is sucessfull and things work out for you... You deserve for it too after making such a big brave move.... good luck to you and your family.....

gill
I wouldn't say its "really great" over here, but then again, it's not "really bad" either! Just very different.

I suppose if I'd known how much we were going to lose financially (8 months without an income is a long time, not to mention all the costs involved in moving out here etc.) I wouldn't have come. But now we're here I don't actually regret it. It's a very interesting, stressful, enjoyable, awful time!!! If I sound confused, that's because I am!

Some days, I wake up and think "yes, we made the right decision" and others I think "Oh God, why did we do this?"

Still, its not a life sentence - we are getting quite a good social life going now, were invited round to some friends Christmas Day and then to 2 different New Years Eve parties by other sets of friends, etc. The business is, as I said before, SLOWLY picking up, and yes, the weather is fantastic.

If the truth be told, I feel I'm in between the devil and the deep blue sea - don't really want to go back to the UK but don't think I could stay here for ever - still I suppose I don't have to do either at the moment, so I'll just wait and see!

If you'd like any more info. on the business visa - do let me know or send me a PM - I applied for ours without an agent and had no problems, but can only advise in an amateur capacity of course.
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply... its all so confusing.... so many negective things... this site certainly tells you how it is.... which is good... its so hard when you have a children as you only really want whats best for them.... i certainly think there is a better life out there than here... just to cheer you up... I have been couped up in the house with the children for three days because it has not stopped raining... my little girl is just getting over a chest infection because it is so damp here.... yuk.... so at least you have the blue skies and sunshine... my husbands mum flies to oz in a few weeks for a long holiday... we are really waiting for her return before we decide what way we are going as she would have to come with us....

Its just this business visa that gets me..... is there lots of opportunies over there to start your own business... i would hate to get over there buy a house get the kids settled in schools etc etc and then four years later we have not meet the standards they want and back they send us.....

confused...

gill