Reload this Page >

Temporary Accomodation in Brisbane area

Wikiposts

Temporary Accomodation in Brisbane area

Old May 1st 2004, 2:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Temporary Accomodation in Brisbane area

Originally posted by jellenger
We have a 2 and 4 year old so would be looking a slightly different schools than you but would be interested to hear which ones you go for. We got info regarding Victoria Point, Wellington Point and Cleveland High Schools and some primary schools on our last visit and all looked promising - the main difference being that they don't start ' til rising 6 as opposed to rising 5 in the UK. What are you planning for your 3 year old??
Hi Jellenger, did you get my PM a couple of weeks ago, about the Bayside area ?
My daughter is in year 3 here, (which means she is in her 4th year at school) and she is 7 years old, so take hope, it is possible to start earlier

Old May 1st 2004, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the interesting links will certainly look into them.Our house is being packed 01 june and we hope to arrive by end June but already know koala homes are full.We have friends in Victoria point but also need to look for accom Hubby me 14 and 11yrs.Cant wait now look forward to meeting you all soon.

Regards Sally
Old May 17th 2004, 8:57 am
Just Joined

jellenger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Jellenger, did you get my PM a couple of weeks ago, about the Bayside area ?
My daughter is in year 3 here, (which means she is in her 4th year at school) and she is 7 years old, so take hope, it is possible to start earlier
Hi ABCDiamond
No I did not get your PM but no worries - we are in chaos here moving this week to rented accomodation in readiness for the final big move to Oz - hopefully - once we get the final go ahead
We have visited Victoria Point several times and found it great - do you think so for our little family?? What are you thoughts on Wellington Point??
Regarding schools, can they start earlier than rising 6 then?? Our 4 yr old is due to start here in Sept but we would rather she didn't but it depends on our migration progress.....! Would be good if she could start in Jan 2005 at pre-school if poss, rather than the following year. What pre-school/kindy did you use?? recommend any??
Many thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in replying

Old May 17th 2004, 11:26 am
ABCDiamond

Hi ABCDiamond
No I did not get your PM but no worries - we are in chaos here moving this week to rented accomodation in readiness for the final big move to Oz - hopefully - once we get the final go ahead
We have visited Victoria Point several times and found it great - do you think so for our little family?? What are you thoughts on Wellington Point??
Regarding schools, can they start earlier than rising 6 then?? Our 4 yr old is due to start here in Sept but we would rather she didn't but it depends on our migration progress.....! Would be good if she could start in Jan 2005 at pre-school if poss, rather than the following year. What pre-school/kindy did you use?? recommend any??
Many thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in replying

Hi
I've sent you an email.
I like Victoria Point, but Wellington Point is also good, in fact almost anywhere around here is good in my eyes

My daughter started her schooling in NSW, before we moved up to Brisbane, so I cant help on pre-schools, but there are quite a
few in the bayside area with younger children, so maybe they will have more info for you.
However, I feel sure that your 4 year old would be able to start the pre-school year in Jan 2005. When is the birthday ?

Old May 17th 2004, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi
I've sent you an email.
I like Victoria Point, but Wellington Point is also good, in fact almost anywhere around here is good in my eyes

My daughter started her schooling in NSW, before we moved up to Brisbane, so I cant help on pre-schools, but there are quite a
few in the bayside area with younger children, so maybe they will have more info for you.
However, I feel sure that your 4 year old would be able to start the pre-school year in Jan 2005. When is the birthday ?
DoB is March 2000
Thanx for the PM
Still confused a little - is pre-school in Oz the same as here eg kids go to pre-school before they start Primary school (here 2.2 yrs up to 5)??
Thanx to all for your help

jxx
Old May 17th 2004, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Sorry - forgot to ask ... there are 4 terms in the Qld school year I understand - do you know when they start and stop and do they half our traditional half-term holidays etc??

Am i right in thinking that there are as many state schools to private (fee-paying) schools and the private ones are generally for more religious families - no offence is intended at all??

Fees appear to be really low compared to the private school fees here - any reason that you know of???

Are toddler/pre-school groups funded in any way like our "voucher" scheme here??

Thanks once again

j xx
Old May 18th 2004, 12:35 am
ABCDiamond

DoB is March 2000
Thanx for the PM
Still confused a little - is pre-school in Oz the same as here eg kids go to pre-school before they start Primary school (here 2.2 yrs up to 5)??
Thanx to all for your help

jxx
Pre-School in QLD = Kindergarten in NSW = Reception in UK

Your child should be able to start that 1st year of school, the one before year 1, in Jan 2005.

toddler/pre-school children in child care can get government benefit depending on income.

Private school fees are generally cheaper, dont know why but 32% of children go to Private schools. 20% Catholic & 12% independent.

Yes 4 terms. Term Dates

Old May 18th 2004, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - forgot to ask ... there are 4 terms in the Qld school year I understand - do you know when they start and stop and do they half our traditional half-term holidays etc??

Am i right in thinking that there are as many state schools to private (fee-paying) schools and the private ones are generally for more religious families - no offence is intended at all??

Fees appear to be really low compared to the private school fees here - any reason that you know of???

Are toddler/pre-school groups funded in any way like our "voucher" scheme here??

Thanks once again

j xx
Private schools get different levels of funding from Federal and State governments - so fees at some private schools are not particularly high. Systemic Catholic schools are all pretty cheap.

Not all private schools are affiliated to a church. Even schools that are affiliated are not over zealous on the religous front. Neither of the ones my kids went to were. Some small 'Christian' schools are known to be a bit heavy and require parental involvement in the church, but that's not the norm.

Kids don't get half-term holidays here.
Old May 19th 2004, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Pre-School in QLD = Kindergarten in NSW = Reception in UK

Your child should be able to start that 1st year of school, the one before year 1, in Jan 2005.

toddler/pre-school children in child care can get government benefit depending on income.

Private school fees are generally cheaper, dont know why but 32% of children go to Private schools. 20% Catholic & 12% independent.

Yes 4 terms. Term Dates
Thanx ABCDiamond and Nickyc for your info

Will be in touch with the news bout of questions soon...??!!

j xx