temp work visa

Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

superplumb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temp work visa

Hi Guys I'm fed up of waiting over here in Blighty, I have had a job offer now for sixmonths but got caught up in that fiasco in october when the rules changed

My prospective employer wants me there asap so I have booked a flight to auckland for the 23rd feb

can I apply for a work visa while i'm in nz pending the outcome of my e o i

my medicals are done police checks are done and I'm registered with the proffesional nz body for my trade!!

I have somewhere to stay too

don't all shout at once

superplumb
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:39 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

You can't go and work while awaiting for your temp work visa to come through. You would be deep shite.

You need to get your application in double quick fast mate - my hubby is meant to be starting work out there on March 1 - we put in a temp work visa application before Christmas because of the changes just to get us out there - we only got our case officer today and time is getting very tight.

They can turn things round pretty damn quick if they need to though.

Get the forms, fill them in, get your employer to provide evidence that he can't get a Kiwi and that he needs you yesterday, put your leaving date on it and get the application in. NOW!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:43 pm
Kiwified member

Just re read your post....

As you have your police checks and medicals all sorted - is your employer accredited? If so you can apply for a work to residence visa under the Talent stream - no need for the employer to prove they couldn't get a Kiwi to do the job.

I don;t know about turnaround times tho - but they can pull their fingers out if neccessary although they are MEGA busy at the moment.

I would talk to your employer and put your leaving date back a month - that would actually be a bit more realistic, from my experience, although still very tight.

Or give NZIS a bell and speak to them - they may be able to give you a better idea of how fast they could process a visa for you.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Default Tempory visa revisited

I can't believe the misinformation I have been getting
someone told me that it is possible to obtain a temp visa from within N Z while awaiting the outcome of your residency application

we hhave just had our e o i returned because I used the words single when describing our 15 year old daughters partnership status !!

I'm going anyway I need the break!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:48 pm
Kiwified member

You can get a temp work visa while out there BUT you would have to go on a visitors visa which means you wouldn't be able to work UNTIL you got the work visa - which defeats the object of rushing out there, doesn't it?
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Default N Z I S do not reply

Originally posted by Pollster
Just re read your post....

As you have your police checks and medicals all sorted - is your employer accredited? If so you can apply for a work to residence visa under the Talent stream - no need for the employer to prove they couldn't get a Kiwi to do the job.

I don;t know about turnaround times tho - but they can pull their fingers out if neccessary although they are MEGA busy at the moment.

I would talk to your employer and put your leaving date back a month - that would actually be a bit more realistic, from my experience, although still very tight.

Or give NZIS a bell and speak to them - they may be able to give you a better idea of how fast they could process a visa for you.

Good luck!!
Have you ever tried to speak to a human being from N Z I S, they do not answer correspondance and they don't ring you back

all they do is refer you to the web site which only speaks black an white (there are no grey area's)
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:04 pm
Kiwified member

I know - been there and done that over the past three months - I really think you are going to have to whack a temp work visa application in and the just wait til it turns up - it would prob mean putting you travel date back though.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Default just wanna be out there

Originally posted by Pollster
You can get a temp work visa while out there BUT you would have to go on a visitors visa which means you wouldn't be able to work UNTIL you got the work visa - which defeats the object of rushing out there, doesn't it?
Don't much care how long I have to wait out there, it's waiting over here that bothers me!!!

I have a fair bit of training to do before I go out in the field so I could maybe use the time in that way!!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:09 pm
Kiwified member

As long as you weren't getting paid, I would have thought you would be OK with training.

Can you ask your employer to hold your wages for you until you got a work visa and then give you them as a kind of starting bonus payment? That would get round things a bit.