Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telstra Customer 'Service'

Telstra Customer 'Service'

Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:53 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telstra Customer 'Service'

For anyone thinking of signing up with Telstra (surely no-one is that mad lol), here's a little example of their customer service.....

I was with them briefly when I first arrived for dialup interweb and phone just for convenience. Soon decided on iinet for both phone and net and switched over.

In the meantime Telstra shut down my bigpond email account with no notice or so much as a 'by your leave' and three months down the line have still failed to come up with a single good reason for doing so.

As you can imagine signing back up to them would be about as likely as Tony Blair telling the truth, so tonight's experience from Telstra's 'how to win back customers who have left department'.......

Middle of dinner, phone rings......

Telstra: 'Can I speak to Mr FB (names have been changed to protect the guilty)'

Me: 'Speaking'

Telstra: 'This is Telstra Customer Services, just a courtesy call and won't take up much of your time'

Me: 'OK, go on'

Telstra: 'You were a Telstra customer up to 8 months ago and then you changed telecom suppliers?'

Me: 'Correct'

Telstra: 'May I ask who you changed to?'

Me: 'You Can, it was iinet'

Telstra: 'Do you have broadband with iinet too?'

Me: 'Yes'

Telstra: 'Is that their high speed 12Mb connection?'

Me: 'Not at the moment as the Telstra exchange isn't capable of handling those speeds'

Telstra: 'How much is your monthly bill for internet and phone?'

Me: 'That's none of your business'

Telstra: 'I beg your pardon? What did you say'

Me: 'I said my bill is none of your business, I'm not willing to divulge that information'

Telstra: 'In that case I don't want to talk to you any more!' Phone hung up..........

Wasn't sure whether to be raging mad for the cheek of the guy or wet myself laughing at his great telephone manner.

I've never worked in telesales but isn't the idea to persuade me to go back to Telstra or am I missing something obvious here? All he has done is made sure I would rather be without a phone and internet than ever pay them one cent of my money for anything in the future.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:41 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telstra Customer 'Service'

Maybe he wanted to make you a better offer...

Last edited by skywalker; Oct 18th 2005 at 4:47 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:57 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I still get junked by NTL despite having cancelled my account and moving half way around the world. Telstra, NTL or any other faceless giant corporation are really not worth getting steamed up about. The people there are just trying to do a job.

On the flip side I'm with Telstra and actually had no problems at all. Now I could tell you some stories about NTL in the UK.......
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Telstra Customer 'Service'

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
For anyone thinking of signing up with Telstra (surely no-one is that mad lol), here's a little example of their customer service.....

I was with them briefly when I first arrived for dialup interweb and phone just for convenience. Soon decided on iinet for both phone and net and switched over.

In the meantime Telstra shut down my bigpond email account with no notice or so much as a 'by your leave' and three months down the line have still failed to come up with a single good reason for doing so.

As you can imagine signing back up to them would be about as likely as Tony Blair telling the truth, so tonight's experience from Telstra's 'how to win back customers who have left department'.......

Telstra: 'This is Telstra Customer Services, just a courtesy call and won't take up much of your time'

Telstra: 'You were a Telstra customer up to 8 months ago and then you changed telecom suppliers?'

Me: 'Not at the moment as the Telstra exchange isn't capable of handling those speeds'

Me: 'I said my bill is none of your business, I'm not willing to divulge that information'

Telstra: 'In that case I don't want to talk to you any more!' Phone hung up..........

Wasn't sure whether to be raging mad for the cheek of the guy or wet myself laughing at his great telephone manner.

I've never worked in telesales but isn't the idea to persuade me to go back to Telstra or am I missing something obvious here? All he has done is made sure I would rather be without a phone and internet than ever pay them one cent of my money for anything in the future.
Now if someone would just give me a job at Telstra(linesperson) I promise I'll sort it all out and all will run like clockwork!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Did you say"Hellstra" or Telstra or "muddle puddle" or bigpond?????
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:18 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Was he Indian?
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Was he Indian?
No he sounded French actually, that's why I almost fell about laughing, his 'I Don't wanna talk to you no more' line sounded like something out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, was just about to reply 'Your mother was a 'amster and your father smelt of Elderberries' but he hung up too soon
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:41 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Telstra big pond for 5 months haven't yet seen a bill for the service. I get the phone bill sent every month, but, know bigpond bill attached......

ZX.....
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:44 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

No he sounded French actually, that's why I almost fell about laughing, his 'I Don't wanna talk to you no more' line sounded like something out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, was just about to reply 'Your mother was a 'amster and your father smelt of Elderberries' but he hung up too soon
ROFPMSL
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
ROFPMSL
Spose I could always phone them back.....

[John Cleese voice] I WISH TO REGISTER A COMMMMMPLAINTTTT! [/John CLeese Voice]