British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Telstra charges? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/telstra-charges-268129/)

mutant Nov 23rd 2004 1:59 am

Telstra charges?

Anyone have any idea what the charge is each time you connect to the net via dial-up with telstra? We have taken advantage of the one months free trial they are doing and have been connecting a dozen or so times a day but we were told yesterday that it costs around 60c each time, this does not sound a lot but over a month it could add up. Any ideas? :o

jensteve Nov 23rd 2004 2:26 am

Re: Telstra charges?

Originally Posted by mutant
Anyone have any idea what the charge is each time you connect to the net via dial-up with telstra? We have taken advantage of the one months free trial they are doing and have been connecting a dozen or so times a day but we were told yesterday that it costs around 60c each time, this does not sound a lot but over a month it could add up. Any ideas? :o

I pay 30c everytime I dial up those phone cards (shout) on telstra. Added $15 week to my bill!!!
Jenny

Boomie Nov 23rd 2004 2:38 am

Hiya.... our isp is bigpond thro telstra...... we pay $56 a month (£22.40) for unlimited anytime broadband usage....

love boomie
xx

surfdude Nov 23rd 2004 2:41 am

We took advantage of the months free trial (back in July, so figures may have changed). When we received our bill it listed 123 'local calls' !!! What says hubby, can't have, don't know anyone ! Got on the phone to Telstra and was informed that this was calls made trying to get on to internet - you dial up for access and if it fails - you have to redial and Telstra make another 17c ! It all adds up and that is on top of your usual 'local' calls ! We got fed up of it because we could never get on first time. Now on Broadband £40.00 per month - teenager loves it !

ABCDiamond Nov 23rd 2004 4:59 am

12 times at 17.5c per call = $2.10 per day x 30 days = $63.00 per month

Local calls could cost you 17.5c, 20c or 30c depending on what home line plan you are on. Telstra Home Line Rates.

Broadband is a cheaper option for you :D

In Brisbane we have the aanet provider, and they currently have an unlimited 256k plan for $45 per month.
The cheapest plan is only $35 per month, but not advisable due to a 500mb limit, and high download fees (for that plan only) after that.

bondipom Nov 23rd 2004 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
12 times at 17.5c per call = $2.10 per day x 30 days = $63.00 per month

Local calls could cost you 17.5c, 20c or 30c depending on what home line plan you are on. Telstra Home Line Rates.

Broadband is a cheaper option for you :D

In Brisbane we have the aanet provider, and they currently have an unlimited 256k plan for $45 per month.
The cheapest plan is only $35 per month, but not advisable due to a 500mb limit, and high download fees (for that plan only) after that.

I just got churned to the aanet 1500/256 with 4Gbs for $45 a month. Excess gigs are $3 which is cheap. Offer is no longer around. Iprimus have an interesting new 2mbs plan for $45 a month. Catch is you have to live near an exchange with iprimus equipment in. All of the ISPs seem to offer a headline grabbing rate with cheap monthly cost and high excess charges.

The local diallup fees justified ADSL for me. Used to be 20c a month but depends on your telstra plan.

irishmolly Nov 23rd 2004 9:42 am

We also have pre-paid BigPond dial-up and added this to our other accounts (FoxTel and home phone) with Telstra and they give us somewhere like 80 free local calls per month which covers all our internet dial-ups so get no local call charges.

Phone them and ask about connecting Telstra account and what free extras they can give you.

Siren & Brian Nov 23rd 2004 10:37 am

Please what ever you do....

DONT GO WITH TELSTRA FOR ANYTHING.... THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF

There are plenty of ISP to go with that can start as low as $29 a month but there dl limits suck... about $39 is the better option for low internet users and they can shape your speed rather than get charge for excess usage

mutant Nov 24th 2004 5:25 am

The thing is though that whoever I have my dial-up internet with I will still get hit for a telstra dialup fee, a no win situation? :mad:

Trevglas Nov 24th 2004 5:51 am

Check out Westnet for broadband. As long as you sign up before the end of the year, you will not face any setup fees (normally $129).

If you leave before you have been with them 2 years, you will need to pay a cancellation fee: ie

A fee of $115 applies if cancelled/moved/transferred within 6 months
$60 if cancelled/moved/transferred in 7 to 12 months
$40 if cancelled/moved/transferred in 13 to 24 months

ABCDiamond Nov 24th 2004 5:55 am

The thing is though that whoever I have my dial-up internet with I will still get hit for a telstra dialup fee, a no win situation? :mad:

Can't you get broadband in your area ?

mutant Nov 24th 2004 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can't you get broadband in your area ?

I can but we are living with the outlaws while we have our home built so BB is not an option, dial-up is only a stop gap so I guess I will have to pay through the nose for a while. While we are on the subject has anyone used Hypermax dial-up?

ABCDiamond Nov 24th 2004 9:58 am

I can but we are living with the outlaws while we have our home built so BB is not an option, dial-up is only a stop gap so I guess I will have to pay through the nose for a while. While we are on the subject has anyone used Hypermax dial-up?

I've seen it advertised on the TV "Only pay for what you use" :D

$9.95 per month for 100mb then 10c per Mb.

As its just a temp thing then yes... you may be stuck. How long will you be there ?

Wol Nov 24th 2004 10:10 am

Yes, I've been on Hypermax dialup for six weeks now. They were very good on set-up: online a couple of minutes after phoning them. Never had a disconnect either until once today! (a bit of a change from the UK...)

The costs DO mount up: the $9.95pm for 1MB doesn't last that long and then there is a 10c / MB up to a $19.95 cap, plus the Telstra 20c call charge. But as a temporary, no set-up solution it does work well.

wargod Nov 24th 2004 10:21 am

I thought the whole idea of broadband is that you are not using your domestic phone, but rather a dedicated link directly to the net - therefore no dial up?