Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

telling work your emigrating

telling work your emigrating

Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default telling work your emigrating

Hi All

Thought it would be interesting to find out others exprerience when telling work your leaving. Were hopefully off in April 06.

The other week I was out on a works do and got suitably smashed. I work the next morning remembering little but gradually I recalled vaguely a conversation about australia with my md.

Anyway turns out I told him I was going to Australia after he cajoled it out of me, he had guessed and/or overheard something apparently.

So monday I fessed up to my line manager and chatted to my md and guess what, they were great and still told me I can go for supervisor role. Im so relieved I've been hating keeping it from them.

Has eveyones experience been positive?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: telling work your emigrating

I'm on contract, they don't care either way !
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:23 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

My MD (the twat) just said who else knows (twat!!) the CEO congratulated me and said they would keep my job open for 6 months if it all goes 'orribly wrong -which was nice
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:24 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi All

Thought it would be interesting to find out others exprerience when telling work your leaving. Were hopefully off in April 06.

The other week I was out on a works do and got suitably smashed. I work the next morning remembering little but gradually I recalled vaguely a conversation about australia with my md.

Anyway turns out I told him I was going to Australia after he cajoled it out of me, he had guessed and/or overheard something apparently.

So monday I fessed up to my line manager and chatted to my md and guess what, they were great and still told me I can go for supervisor role. Im so relieved I've been hating keeping it from them.

so far O/Hs boss has been great turns out he nearly applied himself last year. they are even passing his number on to a contact they have in aus. we were hoping for a transfer but they sold all thier offices in aus a few months ago
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Its nice to hear such positive responses, its soo nice I can talk about it too people now as I can hardly contain my excitement.

They would prob fire me if they knew how much time I spent on expats though
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Hi,

I let work know pretty soon into my application, as I needed a reference for my ACS application, so I had to be upfront, which was much better for them, as it gave them enough time to find my replacement, but generally poeple are happy for me.

I am glad you had a positive outcome as well.

All the best for April 06.

Jo

Originally Posted by kelli28
so far O/Hs boss has been great turns out he nearly applied himself last year. they are even passing his number on to a contact they have in aus. we were hoping for a transfer but they sold all thier offices in aus a few months ago
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

My work have been excellent the only problem I have now is that everytime I make a cuppa if anyone is in the kitchen I get asked how everything is going and work aren't giving me much to do since I'm leaving at some point
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi,

I let work know pretty soon into my application, as I needed a reference for my ACS application, so I had to be upfront, which was much better for them, as it gave them enough time to find my replacement, but generally poeple are happy for me.

I am glad you had a positive outcome as well.

All the best for April 06.

Jo
Thanks, when are you off then?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spottydog
My work have been excellent the only problem I have now is that everytime I make a cuppa if anyone is in the kitchen I get asked how everything is going and work aren't giving me much to do since I'm leaving at some point
Yeah me too everyone wants to know all about it. Unfortunately still plenty of work to do though
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: telling work your emigrating

Because of the TRA and refs required my hubby had to be upfront about the situation at such an early stage. They've been really good about it - the only prob is he gets hassled everyday by people asking have we got it yet! It has also sparked an awful lot of keen interest in other work colleagues as to how you go about it. Hubby feels its a bit like he's taking part in 'The Great Escape' and he's the first one over the fence!!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:38 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have to tell them soon. We are going in Feb next year, but they have decided to restructure the department and as it stands now, there will only be one person left to do the work of the whole dept once I go. My line manager already knows as I told him when he wasnt my line manager, so it is only fair on him that I tell the senior managers and give them plenty of notice.

The house goes on the market soon, so I will tell them then. They will probably be cool about it, and grateful to have so much notice, so I am not particularly nervous.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

I arrive in Australia on the 23rd September, cannot wait. I am on Garden Leave at the moment, I left work a week ago, but so far I have been called back in 3 times, good to see my work colleagues. I offical leave work on the 2nd September(party day).

Thanks, when are you off then?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:03 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

my boss was shocked at first but is fine now.
he`s now decided i can rent his 3 bed detatched off him for 175 a week till we go!! wish i could take him with me