Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling the oldies

Wikiposts

Telling the oldies

Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Telling the oldies

I am doing what I have been dreading for a long time today- telling my Grandparents that we are leaving for Oz.

They are a fantastic couple, have been married for 60+ years and are still in love and are 94 and 80 something. It is very hard saying goodbye not knowing if you may see them again. I only see them about twice a year, but I know that I am close by here if they get ill etc.

I know how lucky I am to still have Grandparents at my age so I am feeling a bit glum about it. Just wanted to share the nasty bits of emigrating with people who understand
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand how you feel, it's not our turn to go yet, but when the time comes i'll be so sad.

Hubby's mum only has hubby. ( only child ) and no husband. Her family are all over the world. She has some great friends but us and our 2 children are the only family she has really. She is pleased for us that we are trying something new with our lives and wishes us all the best. She's swallowing her own tears to make us feel better about leaving here.

I'm sure your grandfolks will be just the same - it sounds like they've had a great long life together and I bet they'll wish the same for you.

it's so hard, but there are always going to be sacrafices like this to make.

Chin up, chest out and go for it.

Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:28 pm
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telling the oldies

Hi Tina

Try to not think like this (the not seeing ever again bit). If you think about it, you could step out of your house in the morning and be run over by a car, nobody thinks you will, but any person could die any time.
I suggest you go to see them, explain them why you are emigrating, tell them how much they mean to you and at the end say "see you next time". That will leave it open.

It really sounds like they are enjoying their life and must have gone through so much together (example: two wars...). I am sure they will understand and I believe they don't think about not seeing you again.

I have a grandmother myself, who is not well any more and no one knows what happens, but i know she has had a good life and she understands that I want to leave and she did not mention that we might not see eachother again.

Hope this helps?

Barbara
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina

i have not told my grandparents as of yet. I only see them every few years as they live in Scotland. I know that they will be ok with it as they would want me to live my own life.

Hope all goes well when you break the news.

footie chick
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Well it didn't go as expected! I told them about our plans and they were really supportive! Apparently my Grandad nearly emigrated to Oz 40 years ago in the £10 pom days. He proceded to tell me the whole story and how he often thought about it now and had regrets about not going. He has had a good life for himself over here, but even so he still thinks of it as a missed opportunity.

I walked out of there feeling much more positive about the whole thing. I know we would feel the same if we didn't go, so this has spurred me on a bit

They even said they would like to come out and visit us! - I don't think they will, but it was nice of them to say it anyway.

Oh well I acheived a bit more today, most people know we are going now, so there will be no turning
back. :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good day all round, Tina! Isn't that weird about your grandfather, and you never knew. I've spoken to a couple of people who had the chance and never went - they said they regretted it, cos they always wondered what it would have been like. Kind of gives you that extra push, doesn't it........
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Pollyana
Sounds like a good day all round, Tina! Isn't that weird about your grandfather, and you never knew. I've spoken to a couple of people who had the chance and never went - they said they regretted it, cos they always wondered what it would have been like. Kind of gives you that extra push, doesn't it........

I did have a good day today but I am so buzzing that I don't know how I am going to sleep.

It was wierd my Gpa telling me his story, he had job opportunities out there as well and he turned it down as his Daughter didn't want to leave her friends.

It is good to know I have their blessing, but it will be really hard saying goodbye to them.

All the best for a smooth flight on the Broomstick tomorrow Polly. Keep in touch.