Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling family.....Again!!!- help!!

Telling family.....Again!!!- help!!

Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telling family.....Again!!!- help!!

Hi for those of you that have been lucky enough to escape my posts I will be brief, went to oz sept 2004, came back may 2005 planning to go again end of this yr start of next.
DREADING telling family, they think we are back for good, "Got it out our systems!!". However we plan to go and stay for good but how do you tell family again :scared:
Just been chatting to mum on the phone, shes reading out a letter from a friend singing praises of how great it is that we are back again and she can see the grandchildren again. Feel awful, dreading telling her, but can't not go either. Real bummer. Can't decide if sooner is better than later, or to wait until plans are more finalised. Any advice would be gratefully received
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:23 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling family.....Again!!!- help!!

i personally would do it sooner this way if the family fall out with youit will give them time to get used to the idea and come round to your way of thinking and understand why your doing it
if you leave it too late on they may think your just dumping it on them then doing one
good luck whatever you do

jan xx
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:04 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
i personally would do it sooner this way if the family fall out with youit will give them time to get used to the idea and come round to your way of thinking and understand why your doing it
if you leave it too late on they may think your just dumping it on them then doing one
good luck whatever you do

jan xx
I agree. Tell them as soon as possible so they've got time to let it sink in and hopefully, come to terms with it.

I think there should be a new sub forum on here for all those grandparents left behind They could all get together and swap photos and groans. BTW - anyone notice how they only ever talk about missing their grandkids - not us!!!!!

Good luck with it.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishface
Hi for those of you that have been lucky enough to escape my posts I will be brief, went to oz sept 2004, came back may 2005 planning to go again end of this yr start of next.
DREADING telling family, they think we are back for good, "Got it out our systems!!". However we plan to go and stay for good but how do you tell family again :scared:
Just been chatting to mum on the phone, shes reading out a letter from a friend singing praises of how great it is that we are back again and she can see the grandchildren again. Feel awful, dreading telling her, but can't not go either. Real bummer. Can't decide if sooner is better than later, or to wait until plans are more finalised. Any advice would be gratefully received
Hi

I would tell them sooner rather than later so they can get all their upset and possibly anger out of their system well before you go. This way you might have better contact with them when you are in Auatralia. I say this because as we came on a student visa it was a quick process and some people (not family) that I am extremely close to were so upset that we did not have much contact when we moved. We had not had time to talk things through before we left and it is only after going back this Christmas and having the time to talk things through that our relationship is back to where it was. The people in question could not come to terms with us leaving but maybe they would have if they had had more time to get used to the idea.

Amanda
Old Jan 21st 2006, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Lili is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, we have almost the same story!! We went to Australia -- Brisbane area -- end of September 2004. Came back (to Germany, where we lived before) March 2005. Planning to go again June this year (our visa expires end of July 2006 )
The same dreading to talk to my mum again ...The same can't decide if sooner is better than later, or to wait until plans are closed and she can't try to convince me not to go .

Just to let you know that you are not alone
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god, we are in the same boat. It was bad enough last time when it was just me & Mr HP - this time we're taking their only grandchildren away. Dad is fully supportive but mum will be devastated. We haven't told them yet but I do talk to my dad about going back quite a lot - apparently my mum lives every day scared that we will go back.

Will be good to keep in touch with you on this one! Keep me updated, and good luck
HP
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:20 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FF

Good luck I think tell them sooner rather than later. Gives them time to get used to it ..again..!!!
All the best

P
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:11 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Good luck ! It's an awfull thing but you have to do it,my mil in still so upset and we only told we're going for a holiday!Other posts on here have said it all before really but you have to live your lifes,I found out today i guy who I know has just died,aged 45,non smoker but got the big c,was thought to be over it but got him in the end! this is not a dress rehearsal,so please go live your lifes and be happy that your happy and have the chance to do it.
Wish you nothing but good luck!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

We have all just come back from Spain to say a sad goodbye to family my parents mum and dad who we see twice a year and my other half auntie and uncle they all took it bad but at the end of the day we only c them once or twice a year.......then come back to england were mom inlaw idllisses the grand children and my name is muck........taking her daughter and grand children away from her but at the end of the day its about our children havin a better life than living in England...i have offerd to pay for all to travell and see us.......please not evrey one at the same time.its about US the life we want to give HELLO..........

Geary and family
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geary11
We have all just come back from Spain to say a sad goodbye to family my parents mum and dad who we see twice a year and my other half auntie and uncle they all took it bad but at the end of the day we only c them once or twice a year.......then come back to england were mom inlaw idllisses the grand children and my name is muck........taking her daughter and grand children away from her but at the end of the day its about our children havin a better life than living in England...i have offerd to pay for all to travell and see us.......please not evrey one at the same time.its about US the life we want to give HELLO..........

Geary and family
really sorry,hubbie has lost his mind while waitin and his spellin has gone right out the window!! he's so excited!! bless him
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to all

Hi there

Think you should tell them now. We were in same position although we went in 1997 and came back 3 months later. It has taken us this long to realise that we made a mistake and to get the courage up to do it again. We have had to start from scratch again with the whole immigrating process but it is what we want to do. My parents extremely upset, not because we are going but for the grandchildren. Tell them now so they can grieve bit strong but I know that is how my family feels, sis didn't speak to me for 2 weeks!

Take a deep breath and go for it. All the best.

Sandra

Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:54 am
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I know you are right and we should do it now but I cannot bring myself yet! The earliest hubby will get into police is Jan next yr now, so it seems a long way off. Sleep deprivation is common now! Good luck to everyone and keep smiling (at least on the outside!!)