Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Telling complete truth when job hunting ?

Telling complete truth when job hunting ?

Old May 30th 2008, 6:05 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road
Default Telling complete truth when job hunting ?

Hi everyone,

I need peoples opinion on how honest to be when job hunting please.

I have been looking for work, any kind of work in the Bunbury area of WA but am finding it very difficult as i need most of the month of August off for my wedding/honeymoon.
We have ALL of our family members coming over, covering most of the month and i want to spend that time with them.
I have been honest and stated this over the phone when calling for delivery driver, general labouring jobs etc. to be told, "It's a full time job, you would be better off looking again in September when you can work full time"

I just wanna earn for a couple of months!

I guess i could just work the two months and quit at the end of July and tell them that it's just not for me. Is this an accepted practice over here ?

Cheers

John.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:14 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telling complete truth when job hunting ?

Originally Posted by NCFC
Hi everyone,

I need peoples opinion on how honest to be when job hunting please.

I have been looking for work, any kind of work in the Bunbury area of WA but am finding it very difficult as i need most of the month of August off for my wedding/honeymoon.
We have ALL of our family members coming over, covering most of the month and i want to spend that time with them.
I have been honest and stated this over the phone when calling for delivery driver, general labouring jobs etc. to be told, "It's a full time job, you would be better off looking again in September when you can work full time"

I just wanna earn for a couple of months!

I guess i could just work the two months and quit at the end of July and tell them that it's just not for me. Is this an accepted practice over here ?

Cheers

John.
This is easy - look after yourself and don't tell them. If they don't like it then they can sack you and you can start looking again after the wedding.

Honesty is great but sometimes you have to put yourself first as it won't get you anywhere.

For example, my visa is a temporary one for 5 years. It is easily renewed at the end, and chances are I will have PR by the end of it anyway. But nobody would give me a proper job when I tried explaining.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Most companies will put you on probation for a few months. I know when I first started working during the probation period it was 1 weeks notice from either party.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:54 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If you work, then you get paid, if you don't work then you don't get paid!

Apply for a job, start, get on with it, then tell them you need the time off...with around two weeks notice...
If they don't like it then they can sack you, but at least you've had some money coming in for a while. Then you can look for another job after you're married!
yes it is mercinary, but on the other hand if they needed to get rid they wouldn't be having sleepness nights about it!

Ali x