British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tellies, do they work in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tellies-do-they-work-oz-260993/)

clandfam Oct 19th 2004 2:08 pm

Tellies, do they work in Oz?

Our big telly has just packed in and its not cost effective to repair, we have another telly that isn't great which we were going to leave behind, plus two portables (one in the kitchen and one the kids use for playstation etc.) that we were also going to leave, so really we need to buy a new tv. My question is; do tvs bought in UK work in Oz?
i have read books that say they don't and books that say they do, has anyone on the forum bought a telly in the uk, shipped it to Oz (with no problems) and did it work when it got there?

delia Oct 19th 2004 2:41 pm

Re: Tellies, do they work in Oz?

Hi there, just letting you know about telly's. Some work some don't, and the quality doesn't matter either, we brought an all singing and dancing Panasonic flat screen and it didn't work, but don't worry you can watch tv through a video recorder if you want. We would have lost heaps of money selling our telly in the U.K. and then would have had to spend a small fortune buying the equivalent over here, all we have forfieted is the ability to record tv programmes which we hardly did anyway.

GLR Oct 20th 2004 8:59 am

Originally Posted by clandfam
Our big telly has just packed in and its not cost effective to repair, we have another telly that isn't great which we were going to leave behind, plus two portables (one in the kitchen and one the kids use for playstation etc.) that we were also going to leave, so really we need to buy a new tv. My question is; do tvs bought in UK work in Oz?
i have read books that say they don't and books that say they do, has anyone on the forum bought a telly in the uk, shipped it to Oz (with no problems) and did it work when it got there?

We covered this just a few days ago in this thread:

http://67.15.12.206/forum/showthread...ighlight=scart

The conclusion was that if the TVs got a scart socket (or other direct input sockets such as RCA) then you can connect it to an Oz video or cable/satellite box and it will work fine.

Cheers

GLR

Kiwipaul Oct 21st 2004 12:39 am

Biggest problem is they broadcast the sound with a different standard down here and so if your tv can revieve the sound your ok otherwise you get the picture but garbled sound. Other posters are correct you can use a Video recorder to decode the signal for you and watch tv with sound via your recorder.

wombat42 Oct 21st 2004 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Biggest problem is they broadcast the sound with a different standard down here and so if your tv can revieve the sound your ok otherwise you get the picture but garbled sound. Other posters are correct you can use a Video recorder to decode the signal for you and watch tv with sound via your recorder.

Considering the quality of OZ TV if your TV does work in OZ , either you will wish it did'nt work or you will end up smashing it to pieces with a cricket bat
out of sheer boredom of the total crap you have been watching. Australian
TV consists of either repeats of dreadful American sitcoms or boring sports no one is interested in.

clevs Oct 21st 2004 1:30 am

not sure didn't bring any, told that they don't - hope this helps.

Big Galah Oct 21st 2004 1:42 am

Once again...

UK uses PAL I

Austraila uses PAL B/G

The difference is in the sound carrier - hence problems with picture/no sound but some newer TVs have the ability to change the TV system easily. Look up your TV manual - if it's got PAL B/G then it will work, you just need to fiddle with your on-screen menu.

Hope this helps, maybe this topic should be a 'sticky?'

Big.

kirsty&al Oct 21st 2004 1:43 am

From what I have seen of the low to mid range tellies, they are cheeper in Oz. You might want to use the internet to check out prices at the higher end. (Considering that most Oz living rooms seem to have a telly about the size of a small car, they can't be that expensive! :D ) Also if you buy a TV just before leaving; this will have to be declared to customs, as it will be less than 12 months old. Personally I can see little benefit to buying a telly just before migrating; however, it is worth bringing ones that you already have.

Cheers
Alistair