Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell ya what mate!

Tell ya what mate!

Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Tell ya what mate!

I was watching a tv programme last night with two Aussie chefs and they finished every sentence with "mate". Now I am prepared to do this when I get out there to blend in and all that but I wondered if confusion arose when playing chess and you say "checkmate mate" or "statemate mate". And what about if you go to the DIY shop for a bench to saw wood on and ask for a "workmate mate". Does this cause confusion?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell ya what mate!

Have you seen the Nemo film??? Just listen to the seagulls as they fly into the sail of that yacht........."mate mate mate mate mate mate mate mate" .....sounds like my local bar
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:28 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I was watching a tv programme last night with two Aussie chefs and they finished every sentence with "mate". Now I am prepared to do this when I get out there to blend in and all that but I wondered if confusion arose when playing chess and you say "checkmate mate" or "statemate mate". And what about if you go to the DIY shop for a bench to saw wood on and ask for a "workmate mate". Does this cause confusion?
Worzel mate
I guess you are talking about "Surfing the Menu" (mate) on discovery travel & adventure.... (mate) LOL..... the programme on before it "Never trust a skinny cook" is an aussie guy traveling around Indonisia & the Far East cooking.... he is the other guy from that fishing show with "Rex Hunt"... mate!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Worzel mate
I guess you are talking about "Surfing the Menu" (mate) on discovery travel & adventure.... (mate) LOL..... the programme on before it "Never trust a skinny cook" is an aussie guy traveling around Indonisia & the Far East cooking.... he is the other guy from that fishing show with "Rex Hunt"... mate!
That's right mate!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:59 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoy that Surfing the Menu, mate.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:06 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

That's right mate!
wonder if you can buy matey for the kids mate?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:06 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Tell ya what mate!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you seen the Nemo film??? Just listen to the seagulls as they fly into the sail of that yacht........."mate mate mate mate mate mate mate mate" .....sounds like my local bar
I think they actually say.....'mine, mine, mine, mine' etc etc etc mate!

R.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:24 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bridiej
I enjoy that Surfing the Menu, mate.

They are shown on some food channel here aswell and they were at the abrolhos Islands a couple of weeks ago eating good ol western rock lobster, never saw it in the UK

Kala
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:46 pm
Professional Princess

Hello Mate.

When I was in Adelaide, they were referring to those with ginger hair as 'blueys' which was rather funny.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:01 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carruss
I think they actually say.....'mine, mine, mine, mine' etc etc etc mate!

R.
We've been arguing about this one in our house for the last few days!!
I think they're saying 'mate'
kids think they're saying 'mine'
Who knows?!!!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:04 pm
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SalSa
We've been arguing about this one in our house for the last few days!!
I think they're saying 'mate'
kids think they're saying 'mine'
Who knows?!!!
I think 'mine...mine...mine...' mate!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Carla is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its defo "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine...................sorry mate!!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Carla
I think its defo "Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine...................sorry mate!!
Yeah definately 'Mine Mine' as seaguls are theavin' sneaky buggers I reckon..mate....
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

You've got to say it right...

maaate! How ya doon?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:41 pm
Badge

Of course if you come from the South East or London you will already be using 'mate' and will not have to modify your choice of words at all.

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.