Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell visitors to consider having moles checked in Oz

Tell visitors to consider having moles checked in Oz

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:31 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Tell visitors to consider having moles checked in Oz

A strange piece of information perhaps but my mum recently came to Oz on holiday for her first visit and this may interest others

Whilst here, she paid privately to have a mole check (a thorough private check in UK was quoted at over 200 pounds). It cost her all of 28 quid and she said the level of technology here was far superior to that of UK. (well it would be given they have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world here!). All done and dusted within 20 minutes.

She was given the all clear, a concise report to take away and had real piece of mind as my dad just had a cancerous mole removed from his nose as, despite living in the Uk all of his life, had got his dodgy nose from all those summer holidays of burning his hooter! Just goes to show.

If you arrive as a permanent resident, you can have these checks done for free.

Sunshine Sarah
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell visitors to consider having moles checked in Oz

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
A strange piece of information perhaps but my mum recently came to Oz on holiday for her first visit and this may interest others

Whilst here, she paid privately to have a mole check (a thorough private check in UK was quoted at over 200 pounds). It cost her all of 28 quid and she said the level of technology here was far superior to that of UK. (well it would be given they have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world here!). All done and dusted within 20 minutes.

She was given the all clear, a concise report to take away and had real piece of mind as my dad just had a cancerous mole removed from his nose as, despite living in the Uk all of his life, had got his dodgy nose from all those summer holidays of burning his hooter! Just goes to show.

Sunshine Sarah
Sound advice.

I remember reading some stats in 2001 that had more people diagnosed with skin cancer in OZ (no surprise) but more died in the UK.

My experience with a self-professed skin cancer expert in the UK had the old solar collector with bad scabs 8 weeks later. I dont think he quite understood just what a bottle of liquid nitrogen could do.... Funnily enough his surname was the same as a well known ex-Bundaberg surgeon :scared:

WW
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:48 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Sound advice.

I remember reading some stats in 2001 that had more people diagnosed with skin cancer in OZ (no surprise) but more died in the UK.

My experience with a self-professed skin cancer expert in the UK had the old solar collector with bad scabs 8 weeks later. I dont think he quite understood just what a bottle of liquid nitrogen could do.... Funnily enough his surname was the same as a well known ex-Bundaberg surgeon :scared:

WW
Blimey! It's Dr Death all over again...

The mole checks here are great. If you are even slightly worried about a freckle, they just zap it there and the nwith liquid nitrogen! No faffing about.

Sunshine S
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

The mole checks here are great. If you are even slightly worried about a freckle, they just zap it there and the nwith liquid nitrogen! No faffing about.

Sunshine S
Are these country-wide centres - I'm in Melbourne and should get a few checked soon...
R
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:12 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine S
My Daughter had two removed from her leg using the same method, she now has two large scars with remnants of darker tissue showing through. Both look more unsightly than the smallish moles that were there in the first place. She wishes she'd waited until we got here as the guys here are so much more skilled.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Crow
Are these country-wide centres - I'm in Melbourne and should get a few checked soon...
R
There is a big Cancer Centre near Flagstaff Gardens isn't there?
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 4:51 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Tell visitors to consider having moles checked in Oz

Sunshine Sarah
Are these centers called anything specific so that I can do a search for locations i.e. Brisbane?
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 2:54 am
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Are these centers called anything specific so that I can do a search for locations i.e. Brisbane?
Up here on Sunshine Coast there are tons. 'Molescan' centres up hereare govt funded (via medicare) and I have found them excellent (though you may have to wait 1-2 weeks for an appt). There are many others which are private - just look in Yellow Pages under "mole" or "Skin checks" ...not sure????

Happy zapping
Sunshine Sarah
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:33 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic bit of advise. I had a mole removed here in the UK after my last trip to Oz and it was surgically removed :scared: Ouch!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:57 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
My Daughter had two removed from her leg using the same method, she now has two large scars with remnants of darker tissue showing through. Both look more unsightly than the smallish moles that were there in the first place. She wishes she'd waited until we got here as the guys here are so much more skilled.
Please forgive the personal question here - I ask as a student homoeopath and out of professional curiosity - but is this the same daughter that you said is currently being treated for cancer?

Sue
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:37 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Please forgive the personal question here - I ask as a student homoeopath and out of professional curiosity - but is this the same daughter that you said is currently being treated for cancer?

Sue
Yep same one, poor kid's had quite a hard life so far.
Why do you ask, surely there's no connection between a benign melanoma and cervical/ovarian cancer?
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 2:40 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep same one, poor kid's had quite a hard life so far.
Why do you ask, surely there's no connection between a benign melanoma and cervical/ovarian cancer?
She certainly is having a tough time of it - I think you said she was only 20? Poor girl. That's a lot to have to experience at her young age.

Homoeopathically speaking, I can see that an experienced h/p might make a connection between the two occurrences - to a homoeopath, everything that happens in the body is connected, with serious illness often occurring because something less serious was suppressed. But I'm just at the stage of my studies where I'm case-taking, and it becomes a bit compulsive to try and connect everything like pieces of a jigsaw.

I do hope that her treatment is successful and that she returns to full health very soon.

Sue
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:12 pm
sunshinesarah

Originally Posted by herrchook
What a fantastic bit of advise. I had a mole removed here in the UK after my last trip to Oz and it was surgically removed :scared: Ouch!!!
They do remove surgically here too. Basically, you go for your check and if they see something slightly amiss, they zap it with liquid nitrogen or cut it out