Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell me about contents and car insurance please

Tell me about contents and car insurance please

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Tell me about contents and car insurance please

Right - car insurance I've seen recommendations on here for bingle.com.au and Allianz, so I think I'm ok with them, unless anyone has any other recommendations. Oh, and do I need to bring over proof of no-claims from my insurer here in the UK, or is that pointless?

However, contents insurance for when we get a rental - who are people using for their insurance, are they good value and would you recommend them?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:11 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tell me about contents and car insurance please

NRMA is very good for contents, but a bit pricey. I know people who have claimed, and been very happy.

I haven't had a claim yet, so can't comment personally.

Car
Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim.

My advise is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.

There is no discount allowed on the CTP cover, in Queensland

Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I'm happy to pay that bit more for a company that is reliable, so I'll look at them thanks.

Just another thought, but is there a website like moneysupermarket.com in the UK where you can compare quotes from a number of insurers in one place, or will I have to do it the old-fashioned way?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Car - bring your no-claims record. It works here, definitely with RACQ and others I believe. We've just swapped from RACQ to Suncorp as it worked out a third cheaper and was recommended.

House - we use Caliden (used to be Australian Unity) because they provide the cover we want, which others didn't. Read the small print carefully.

There is the on-line equivalent of Which - www.choice.com.au It's well worth the money when you're starting out here and before.

Last edited by lesleys; Aug 5th 2009 at 10:31 am.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. Anyone else got any recommendations?