Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Canberra

Tell me about Canberra

Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Tell me about Canberra

My husband has been offered a job in Canberra. Please can anyone give me information (good and bad) about living in Canberra with a you family - children aged 11 and 13. Which areas are nice and which are less desirable? Schools - good public secondary schools?

I’ve visited Canberra once, very briefly on route from Sydney to Melbourne on a road trip.... From what I saw, it seems modern and clean but I’m looking for info on what it’s like to live there...

I see the rental market is more expensive than say Melbourne - is it easy to find a rental property? And in particular, one that would allow a small dog...?

Many thanks 
Old Jul 18th 2018, 11:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about Canberra

The joke always used to be that it closed at 5:30, but the inhabitants say it's much better now, much more cosmopolitan .... it's now 6:30.

That and it's obviously a government town, and weirdly all the car parks seem to be pay car parks.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of deceased road kill in Canberra........ that seems to be the highlight when I pass through on my way to the snow now that the fireworks shops no longer exist.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I replied on the other forum but don’t be put off by all the negative comments, Canberra is a pretty good place to bring up kids. It’s a nice cross between big city and country town. It’s got its not so swanky areas but in general you can get a feel for the suburb by mooching around the local shopping area and driving p and down a few streets. I told you which suburbs get the worst rap but even Narrabundah is being yuppified and becoming more desirable.

Canberra has the best of the seasons. Spring and autumn are awesome. Summer can be rather too warm and Winter can be bloody cold, we’ve even been known to have snow and can usually see snow on the mountains at least some time during winter. Houses are generally not that well insulated unfortunately.

It is the sort of town where most families are dual income to make ends meet and connecting with other mums can be tricky because many, if not most of them, work. But, that said, you should be able to hook up with like minded people through interest groups. I didn’t find it a hugely sociable community though and most acquaintances were made at work - most of them haven’t stuck as “friends” and most of my closer friends are all long term expats like myself!

I prefer the inner suburbs and if your DH is working in Russell or that sort of area, the Inner North is good but you might find accommodation rather expensive. Check out all homes.com.au everything gets advertised on there but take the photographs with a pinch of salt.

Old Jul 18th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Thank you. Husband’s office would be near the airport...
Old Jul 18th 2018, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
Thank you. Husband’s office would be near the airport...
Inner North or South would be ideal. There’s now a new road from the outer Gunghalin suburbs to the airport where you’d get more bang for your buck with rentals but (imho) the suburbs are a bit soulless. Queanbeyan is also an option - bit cheaper to live but your kids would go to not so desirable NSW HS! (Lots of NSW kids try and cross the border for HS). Working at the airport it’d be a bit silly to live in Tuggeranong.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Quoll. Canberra used to be dull as paint but it's been on an uptick for several years now.

It's a government and university town with the pluses and minuses that brings, and that's reflected in the entertainment options etc. The comments about the high schools are spot-on.

Canberra wouldn't be a top-five pick of mine but I wouldn't have reservations about taking a job there.

A lot of nature nearby and the city was planned with that in mind.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

By the way you mention your husband has been "offered a job." Can you specify what visa you will be on? That makes a difference as to whether you will be "raising" kids in Canberra or just "visiting" with them and returning to the UK. The distinction is very important for schooling.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
By the way you mention your husband has been "offered a job." Can you specify what visa you will be on? That makes a difference as to whether you will be "raising" kids in Canberra or just "visiting" with them and returning to the UK. The distinction is very important for schooling.
I think the Wiltshire has said elsewhere that husband and kids are citizens - I thought about that, school fees in Canberra can be eyewatering for temporary residents.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 10:49 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I replied on the other forum but don’t be put off by all the negative comments, Canberra is a pretty good place to bring up kids. It’s a nice cross between big city and country town. It’s got its not so swanky areas but in general you can get a feel for the suburb by mooching around the local shopping area and driving p and down a few streets. I told you which suburbs get the worst rap but even Narrabundah is being yuppified and becoming more desirable.

Canberra has the best of the seasons. Spring and autumn are awesome. Summer can be rather too warm and Winter can be bloody cold, we’ve even been known to have snow and can usually see snow on the mountains at least some time during winter. Houses are generally not that well insulated unfortunately.

It is the sort of town where most families are dual income to make ends meet and connecting with other mums can be tricky because many, if not most of them, work. But, that said, you should be able to hook up with like minded people through interest groups. I didn’t find it a hugely sociable community though and most acquaintances were made at work - most of them haven’t stuck as “friends” and most of my closer friends are all long term expats like myself!

I prefer the inner suburbs and if your DH is working in Russell or that sort of area, the Inner North is good but you might find accommodation rather expensive. Check out all homes.com.au everything gets advertised on there but take the photographs with a pinch of salt.

I agree with this. The inner north is a great place to start off with good schools and ease of access to everywhere (we followed your good advice on that, Quoll and so glad we did), though the main road Northbourne Avenue that runs right through the middle of the inner north is a bit of a nightmare right now thanks to the tramway road works. But it should be awesome once its finished. When (or if) the time comes to buy, I recommend the older (20-30 year old) houses which are far more spacious both land and house-wise that are mostly to be found outside the inner suburbs. I'd stay away from the new far outer developments, because they are small and built on tiny patches of land. The government schools are pretty good here and sports and health facilities are excellent. Traffic jams are rare. Also, we're just a few hours drive from Sydney, less to the coast and to the snow.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 5:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very strange city
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:48 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a very strange city
Yeah, a terrible place to live
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 1:50 pm
Banned

It was a chilly -7.4 degrees C here this morning

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...23-p4zt06.html
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
It was a chilly -7.4 degrees C here this morning

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...23-p4zt06.html
Huh, when it got down to -7C we used to offer the eldest a lift to school rather than ride his bike the 10km. He never took us up on our offer, interestingly.

Havent had snow in the burbs yet then?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Yeah, a terrible place to live
Maybe but still a very strange place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.