Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tell her we will be alright!

tell her we will be alright!

Old May 18th 2005, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

john ferrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tell her we will be alright!

Hi all, my wife and I were moving out to Adelaide in march next year... forever. However a baby (our first) might have thrown a spanner in the works. we want to move out and have our first little oz, so that means an October move but with no support network my wife is scared, big time. We have each other and am sure will make new friends, say its so!
john.
Old May 18th 2005, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice
Default Re: tell her we will be alright!

Originally Posted by john ferrie
Hi all, my wife and I were moving out to Adelaide in march next year... forever. However a baby (our first) might have thrown a spanner in the works. we want to move out and have our first little oz, so that means an October move but with no support network my wife is scared, big time. We have each other and am sure will make new friends, say its so!
john.
Would you have a support network if you waited until March to move? Probably not. You're going to have to make the leap anyway, so you may as well do it sooner rather than later.

It'll be fine!
Old May 18th 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

john.
Hi John,
Well I'm hoping that is the case. I'm leaving on my own with 3 (possibly 2 as the oldest is saying she's not coming again ) kids. We have neither family nor friends over there but I wouldn't say we have no support network. We have each other and have managed to get through a difficult time together recently and I'm sure we'll manage when we get there.

You will be absolutely fine I'm sure. Hope all turns out well. Good luck
Tracey.
Old May 18th 2005, 5:52 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

john.
Having your first baby is always gonna be hard - whether its in oz or the uk! At the end of the day though you learn to cope. Having a support network would probably be great but myself and my hubby did it on our own and I'm sure there are many more on here who have done the same! Enjoy parenthood - hard work (very!) but soooo worth it!
Old May 18th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

john.
Forgot to wish you luck with the new baby
karma on its way to you
Tracey.
Old May 18th 2005, 6:58 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

john.

I don't think the baby will throw a spanner in the works at all. Having kids kind of forces you out into the community (well, who wants to stay in and look at the same four walls?!) There are so many groups and activities that you can get involved in that meeting people will be a synch!

Enjoy this special time in your lives and think how much better it is going to be in the long run. Congratulations on the pregnancy and hope you have an easy time of it.

Binbird
Old May 18th 2005, 7:02 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

john.
My sister moved to Perth when she was 7 months pregnant with her first. No house, job or family to go to. She threw herself into any met-a-mum type thing she could and then weedled out who she really liked and who she didn't at a later stage. It seemed to work for her. Being a new mum can be a lonely scary time first time round even when you are surrounded by family so don't be scared and just look forward to the wonderful future you will all have.
Anne
Old May 18th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Susan Devoy is an unknown quantity at this point

John

We are hoping to be in Adelaide in September. PM me and we can keep in touch! Will help all we can.

Susan(35), David (35) & Jamie (2)
Old May 18th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

We moved to Melbourne in January this year (transfer with hubby's job). I was 20 weeks pregnant with our first when I arrived and bub is due mid June.

I have to be perfectly honest and say it was - and continues to be (some days) - not easy - the move, renting accommodation (which is not easy) etc. The medicare issues for a starter were a total nightmare, whilst in the UK the maternity side of the NHS runs like a well oiled machine, here it is a bit of a free for all with Doctors and Hospitals doing their own thing. I unfortunately too have developed a slight pregnancy complication which puts a whole new slant on things and not having the support of my family and friends has been very hard. If I had my time over I would have stayed in the UK, had bub and then come over....that is my personal opinion.

Although we moved over from the UK, I had previously lived in Dubai for 15 years so am not unfamiliar with integrating myself into communities/making new friends etc. etc. However, despite throwing myself into Aqua Natal, Pilates and Antenatal classes in an effort to meet other ladies in a similar position to myself I have found, for the most part, that they are there for the exercise/education and not to make new friends. Still, I persevere and have made a couple of good friends - one Australian and one Irish which has been a Godsend.

I have recounted my personal experience here - others will have had different experiences, but I do think it's important that you get a balanced view.

Good luck to you and your wife.