Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

telephone's in oz

telephone's in oz

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default telephone's in oz

Does anyone know if uk telephones work in oz (is the sockets the same?)
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:17 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: telephone's in oz

Originally posted by Ranger
Does anyone know if uk telephones work in oz (is the sockets the same?)
hi,

no they are not the same sockets, but you can buy converters so they should still work ok

cheers

kev
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK phones use 3 wires, but the important ones are pins 2&5. The third wire is used to ring the bell. In Oz, they use pins 3&4.

If you have a BT phone, you will probably find that pins 2&5 are wired inside the phone, so you need to make up a cable that routes wires 2&5 to 3&4. You can get the stuff o do this from most Tandy type stores. You need RJ11 plugs and a crimping tool. Note that the phone will work, but the ringer probably won’t. Ok for a spare extension.

If you have a non BT phone, like a Panasonic, NEC or such like, they will probably be wired with pin 3&4 inside the phone already, and the cable that came with it does the conversion to pins 2&5 to enable it to work in the UK (UK seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. It is cheaper of manufactures to supply different cables than have different models of phone in different countries). All you have to do with these phones is buy a made up RJ11 straight through cable and use this instead of the one in the phone. Easier than re-wiring it!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I brought my Modem and Ans phone from NZ as they have the same sockets as UK, and are compatable. In Australia I couldn't find any adapters so just bought new cables from device to wall socket and they all work sweet as.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, the UK definitely seems to be the oddball here.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

In Perth airport there is a sign on the wall at customs that says no phones to be bought in. Don't know why, but it will be confiscated if you try and take it through customs.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra told me I can take my UK phone, but have to have it checked out by an engineer and possibly modified (presumably this wires/pins business mentioned earlier) before I can plug it into their phone lines - they said I would be liable for any damage caused by an unchecked phone!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like another Telstra revenue raising scheme, but I suppose strictly speaking they are acting within their powers. The same as BT do by insisting you have that certified sticker on your phone in the UK.

If there is a problem with your line, it is most likely to be Telstra’s problem and I think they have a cheek insisting on this. We waited 3 weeks for them to sort our phone line so that it could support modem speeds over 28.8Kbps, so I am not exactly enamoured with them.

I wouldn’t expect to have to call Australian Energy out to check every electrical item I brought from the UK before I change the plug and plug it into the mains, but perhaps I am supposed to?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Is there any way you can make a uk phone ring on the aussie network?

(what would you do with the uk pin 3 orange/white - bell wire)

How do aussie phones wring without this extra wire?

thanks,
Jason

Originally posted by dracupg
The UK phones use 3 wires, but the important ones are pins 2&5. The third wire is used to ring the bell. In Oz, they use pins 3&4.

If you have a BT phone, you will probably find that pins 2&5 are wired inside the phone, so you need to make up a cable that routes wires 2&5 to 3&4. You can get the stuff o do this from most Tandy type stores. You need RJ11 plugs and a crimping tool. Note that the phone will work, but the ringer probably won’t. Ok for a spare extension.

If you have a non BT phone, like a Panasonic, NEC or such like, they will probably be wired with pin 3&4 inside the phone already, and the cable that came with it does the conversion to pins 2&5 to enable it to work in the UK (UK seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. It is cheaper of manufactures to supply different cables than have different models of phone in different countries). All you have to do with these phones is buy a made up RJ11 straight through cable and use this instead of the one in the phone. Easier than re-wiring it!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dracupg

I wouldn’t expect to have to call Australian Energy out to check every electrical item I brought from the UK before I change the plug and plug it into the mains, but perhaps I am supposed to?
Do you realise you are breaking the law even changeing plugs here you have to be a registered electrician, it's a joke. I broke the law last night doing some plumbing work (please don't dob me in ) on my own house.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Do you realise you are breaking the law even changeing plugs here you have to be a registered electrician, it's a joke. I broke the law last night doing some plumbing work (please don't dob me in ) on my own house.
It’s a fair cop. I go quietly guv’
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Is there any way you can make a uk phone ring on the aussie network?

(what would you do with the uk pin 3 orange/white - bell wire)

How do aussie phones wring without this extra wire?

thanks,
Jason
Don't know. Sorry. Never been an issue as our Non-BT phone rings fine, as it only uses the two wires.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

core, australia is mighty strict....even talking about swapping wires in a phone is a federal offense!

Don't talk about plumbing, for god sake

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:46 am
Just Joined

dogged is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys.. the strict regulations are there for your protection as if in the unlikely event the phone you are using does damage to the exchange and isn't certified (austick) then you will be liable for damage.

also if it burns down the house i wouldn't like your chances with insurance!!

you can rent a basic phone off telstra for 3$ month.. http://www.telstra.com.au/phones/hom...hones_rent.htm

but really they are quite cheap to buy from electronic shops/second hand shops ect..

also you will save a lot of money on local/std(interstate/country) calls if you use a third party provider (such as AAPt or iprimus)..

telstra's sole aim is to make money in the short/medium term which the government hopes will drive up the telstra share price so they can flog the rest of it off..
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I think the main reason that people want to get their UK phones working in Australia is that if you have spent a considerable amount of money on a phone in the UK – Digital cordless telephone answer m/c with multiple handsets it is a little annoying to have to go out and buy it all again. Even more so when you see the exact same model in the electrical shops and the only difference if the wire coming out the phone and into the socket.

If my house burns down, it wont be because of a 5 volt short in my phone, it will be because by partner burnt the dinner again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.