Reload this Page >

Difficult decision: Melbourne or Barcelona

Difficult decision: Melbourne or Barcelona

Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:15 am
Just Joined

melbbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difficult decision: Melbourne or Barcelona

Hi All,

tomorrow I have quite an important decision to make and would like to have your views.

I am in my late thirties , not married , have been working in Berlin in the last three years (previously 4 in Melbourne) but I am now in the process of leaving the country cause I never got to terms with the depressing weather and the general coldness of the people.

I have had some jobs interviews and have now two good job offers, one in Barcelona and one in Melbourne. The decision is quite difficult cause the positive and negative sides of each option are comparable.

If I chose Melbourne offer, it would be going back to my previous employer , working on the same project but with a manager role and six figures salary $$$ so bringing my career forward. Melbourne is a city that I love , I have spend almost 4 years there and they were probably the best of my life.
Moreover by going back to Australia I could renew my PR Visa for another five years otherwise I would soon not qualify for a RRV and probably would break any future possibility to work and live in australia.
One downside is the fact that I could feel like going back to the past working for the same Project and another one is clearly the distance and soon or later I know I will feel the pull to come back to Europe and being closer to my family which considering my age and my wish to start a family could mess things up.

Barcelona offer would be a completely new job (different industry) in a big american multinational, doing something completely new is exciting but the role would not be a real progression.However the company is very big and I think I could move up quickly given the chance.
The salary would be much lower than Australia probably about half and even less than what I am earning now in germany. Barcelona is tempting as a city to live with sea (important for me) but I have only visited it for few days and never lived there before so not sure I would really like it. Good plus is closeness to europe and my family.

I know it always comes down to personal values but I would like to hear your opinions especially if you were in a similar situation or if you have ever lived in Spain.

Thanks,

R.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult decision: Melbourne or Barcelona

Do it the old fashioned way. Get two sheets of writing paper. Draw a vertical line down the middle of each piece.

Title the first sheet 'Advantages' then list on each side the advantages of taking the job in Barcelona and Melbourne respectively. Do the same with 'Disadvantages' on the second sheet.

Compare. Ponder. Reflect. Decide. Best of luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

How about some stepping stones? (Not Married) Assuming that means you are single.

It sounds like starting a family is important to you. Where are you most likely to meet someone who wants to do the same?

And when and if that happens, why do you need to be near your family to start a family?
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have been somewhat in your shoes: My wife is Italian, and, when it came time for us to leave the Middle East, we had to decide whether to take a huge pay cut and go to Italy (and be nearer to relatives), or take level pay/slight increase in salary and and take the opportunity we had to come to Australia.

For us . . . it was a relatively easy call to come to Australia. We love it here and haven't looked back.

Do you speak Spanish? If not - that is going to be a major hindrance on your ability to integrate in the city.

Personally I would take the money and the advancement in Melbourne, and if you are still curious about Spain, buy a cheap holiday flat off your salary rise in Australia.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not a great fan of going back(wards) in general. I'd be going with the one that offers the best opportunities for the longer term.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbbar
Hi All,

If I chose Melbourne offer, it would be going back to my previous employer , working on the same project but with a manager role and six figures salary $$$ so bringing my career forward. Melbourne is a city that I love , I have spend almost 4 years there and they were probably the best of my life.

R.
i Quote the best in my life...... if you had such a good time there why leave...
Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
i Quote the best in my life...... if you had such a good time there why leave...
Because I also had some of the best years of my life in Melbourne, in my late 20's and being single.

Returned a decade later after working in Europe and London and hated it
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne

Spain, because it was once occupied by muslims and they desire it back, will become an increased focus area of islamic terrorism

All of Europe is going to suffer but the Iberian peninsula particularly so
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The OP would have made their decision now - wonder if they'll bother to come back or, in the finest tradition of soap operas, leave us hanging with the question of who killed JR?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine the OP would have run with Melbourne. The familiar and conservative choice. Probably the right one in the circumstances. Considering the comments with regards to Berlin (one of the coolest places in Europe) to be 'cold' outside of the weather (which isn't great) plus an international city to boot, the signs would likely point to Melbourne, and a corporate career. Barcelona would be more fun, but if it career being the deciding factor......at least with the information given.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Berlin last month and thought it was friggin awesome! Obviously 2 huge caveats - it was Summer and I was on holiday. In my opinion though it totally beat Melbourne in terms of its general vibe.

Completely appreciate it could be a different place though for 6 months of the year though.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Winter in Northern Germany is bleak. Do not be fooled by Berlin in summer weather. The winter will come !
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:33 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by scot47
Winter in Northern Germany is bleak. Do not be fooled by Berlin in summer weather. The winter will come !
I think the OP was a hit and run poster, Scot
Old Sep 8th 2017, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I was in Berlin last month and thought it was friggin awesome! Obviously 2 huge caveats - it was Summer and I was on holiday. In my opinion though it totally beat Melbourne in terms of its general vibe.

Completely appreciate it could be a different place though for 6 months of the year though.
Did you try the Berghain ?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Did you try the Berghain ?
No, would like to have seen it but to be honest it seemed like potentially too much of a hassle which could end up with getting knocked back at the door!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.