Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teenagers & Schooling

Teenagers & Schooling

Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough
Question Teenagers & Schooling

Hi all,

We are a family of 5 considering a move to either Perth or Brisbane. We have read a lot on this forum & gained a lot of good info. We've seen a bit on schooling but if somone could help us with these question's we would be extremely grateful. Our eldest son is nearly 15 and with us living in Scotland he will be due to take his standard grades next year at the age of 16. We think that in Oz the kids take their exams at 18? but need to complete years 10-12 (16yrs - 18yrs) is this correct. Would it be a good idea to move over sooner rather than later with him missing his standard grade exams in Scotland? If we can't make the move for another 2 or 3 yrs (Stressed Eric is pretty well tied into his job in UK) would our eldest still be able to join us at the age of 18 or would he have to apply for a visa himself?
Thanks in advance for your help
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers & Schooling

Originally Posted by Stressed Eric
Hi all,

We are a family of 5 considering a move to either Perth or Brisbane. We have read a lot on this forum & gained a lot of good info. We've seen a bit on schooling but if somone could help us with these question's we would be extremely grateful. Our eldest son is nearly 15 and with us living in Scotland he will be due to take his standard grades next year at the age of 16. We think that in Oz the kids take their exams at 18? but need to complete years 10-12 (16yrs - 18yrs) is this correct. Would it be a good idea to move over sooner rather than later with him missing his standard grade exams in Scotland? If we can't make the move for another 2 or 3 yrs (Stressed Eric is pretty well tied into his job in UK) would our eldest still be able to join us at the age of 18 or would he have to apply for a visa himself?
Thanks in advance for your help

In brisbane they finish year 12 in the year they turn 17. Younger kids would be on the new system where they finish in the year they turn 18.

However kids move up and down and from interstate and a grade 12 class would have kids finishing at age 16 ( my yougest will be 16 when he finishes gd 12 ) to age 19 - Kids who may have been kept down or from OS or interstate.

Very flexible the main thing is they need to do all of grade 11 and 12 to get the required points. He wont need to do gd 10.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Jad, That does sound very flexible indeed. When do the new rules come into force ?

Can anybody advise on Perth pse.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Year 10 is helpful as it allows the kids to understand their options & get used to school without the pressure of yr 11 & 12.
If your intention is to settle here for good, why do Scottish exams anyway?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sal,

Unfortunately, I am contracted to my UK company & it would cost a large amount to get released - I don't envisage becoming 'free' until mid 2012 . Therefore our options are to wait until 2013 when he will be finished all of exams (standard & higher grades), or take the hit & pay to get released with a push to get him there for year 10 (which would be a logistical nightmare for us as we have a lot going on this year as it is).

Waiting until 2013 I would be 44yrs young. Another Q, would he be able to come out on our PR visa at the age of 18 or would he have to apply for himself?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stressed Eric
Thanks Sal,

Unfortunately, I am contracted to my UK company & it would cost a large amount to get released - I don't envisage becoming 'free' until mid 2012 . Therefore our options are to wait until 2013 when he will be finished all of exams (standard & higher grades), or take the hit & pay to get released with a push to get him there for year 10 (which would be a logistical nightmare for us as we have a lot going on this year as it is).

Waiting until 2013 I would be 44yrs young. Another Q, would he be able to come out on our PR visa at the age of 18 or would he have to apply for himself?
My understanding is that if you have the visa & validate it, all people on it then have up to 5 years to move permanently.
Worth asking on the Immi part of the forum I should think!