Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teenagers...I aint going and you can't make me!

Teenagers...I aint going and you can't make me!

Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:42 pm
Mrs Angry!

debbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud ofdebbie222 has much to be proud of
Question Teenagers...I aint going and you can't make me!

Hi again

I posted a thread on here a while ago where I shared (with many) my worries about my daughter (who is 15) who does....and then does not want to come with us to live in Oz.

Whilst I have taken advice and not mentioned a word about Australia (but cant help but smile when I see the advert for holidays in Australia) I was just thinking....does anyone know what the legal age is or what the law states about what I can/cannot do if she can turns round and say...I aint going and you can't make me!

Kids....love em!

Debs
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Teenagers...I aint going and you can't make me!

Originally Posted by debbie222
Hi again

I posted a thread on here a while ago where I shared (with many) my worries about my daughter (who is 15) who does....and then does not want to come with us to live in Oz.

Whilst I have taken advice and not mentioned a word about Australia (but cant help but smile when I see the advert for holidays in Australia) I was just thinking....does anyone know what the legal age is or what the law states about what I can/cannot do if she can turns round and say...I aint going and you can't make me!

Kids....love em!

Debs
My daughter was 14 when we came to OZ. She too was 'i ain't coming'...but after 18 months of persuasion she came.
Things didn't work out and she is now back in UK at the age of 16. We were told by the social that you cannot drag, hand cuff, demand any person onto an aeroplane without their consent. This i found hard to believe. But we let her return (we took her back) for the sake of sanity. Your daughter could end up loving it here, some don't.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie222
Hi again

As far as I know it's 16 for most purposes, but the brutal fact is that if she would rather live on the streets in the U.K. rather than with you in Australia, then there won't be much you can do.

Before it gets to that point however she may refuse to go for a medical and you probably "can't make her do that" either.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not 100% sure on this but I thought it was 16 with parents' permission otherwise 18.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm not 100% sure on this but I thought it was 16 with parents' permission otherwise 18.
A quick search brought up the following:
http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q555.htm

For getting married in England and Wales it's 16 with consent, 18 without.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ma...--required.asp
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
A quick search brought up the following:
http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q555.htm

For getting married in England and Wales it's 16 with consent, 18 without.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ma...--required.asp
I guess it's 16 then; although it sounds a little grey.

I know about the marriage thing, and the age is higher if you're the child of the monarch.