Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

Wikiposts

Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

• Teenagers with top-grade GCSE passes in maths and English are having to be tested again when they look for a job because so many lack basic skills. A report reveals a growing number of school-leavers with GCSEs lack the skills even to write a business letter or do basic sums.

Independent, 29 June 2005
Source.

Last edited by Sue; Oct 11th 2005 at 2:09 am. Reason: Bulk of article removed due to copyright issues. Please see forum rules regarding copyright.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

Remember that program on TV where 16 year olds went back to 1950's grammar school? Some of them were supposed high GCSE achievers with top A* results (whatever that means). A lot of them couldn't even do an old 11+ paper - let alone an O-level exam. But it's not dumbing-down, is it?
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

Originally Posted by nickyc
Remember that program on TV where 16 year olds went back to 1950's grammar school? Some of them were supposed high GCSE achievers with top A* results (whatever that means). A lot of them couldn't even do an old 11+ paper - let alone an O-level exam.
Yep, I saw that one. It spoke volumes about the current standard of British education.

But it's not dumbing-down, is it?
LOL, of course not - Tony Blair told me it wasn't, and I believe him!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers with GCSEs lack basic skills.

Originally Posted by nickyc
Remember that program on TV where 16 year olds went back to 1950's grammar school? Some of them were supposed high GCSE achievers with top A* results (whatever that means). A lot of them couldn't even do an old 11+ paper - let alone an O-level exam. But it's not dumbing-down, is it?
A friend of mine is a lecturer and admissions officer for a Scottish University (degree courses in Accountancy). He arranges remedial English and Maths classes for some of his first year intake. But it's not dumbing down is it?

OzTennis