teenagers

Old Feb 12th 2003, 1:00 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default teenagers

Anyone had a problem with their teenage kids not wanting to emigrate with them.My son is 16yrs and we only just starting the process of emigrating to NZ,he is saying he wont go ..... Nightmare!
Old Feb 12th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teenagers

Originally posted by sky
Anyone had a problem with their teenage kids not wanting to emigrate with them.My son is 16yrs and we only just starting the process of emigrating to NZ,he is saying he wont go ..... Nightmare!
My brother was 16 when he emigrated to Oz. Oh and the tantrums he went off on. There was no way he was going to leave his friends or his first ever girlfriend etc. Despite all the persuading from my Father,he just wasn't going FULL STOP.

Eventually Dad just took the harsh attitude with him and told him that he's going, like it or not. The day came when they were off and I think he had just resigned himself to the fact, and off he went without any trouble. He was obviously home sick at first, but after a few weeks made a lot of new friends, got a job and eventually another girlfriend.
He has been there for 11 years now and he is loving every minute of it!!, He has settled down and bought a house etc and says that moving to Oz was the best thing he ever did!!!

He only came back to the UK once and didn't like it at all, he couldn't wait to get back.

I know your Son won't be pleased about the thought of emmigrating at the moment, but once he is there it will all be a wonderful adventure for him. I bet he'll thank you for it in the end!!!!

Good luck
Pudnut...
Old Feb 12th 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

my daughter was adament she didnt want to go, she is 16, it has taken her a year to finaly come round! she didnt want to leave all her friends etc, she is quite shy and not too good at making new friends. now she is excited and cant wait to go , ive given her loads of info, shes read the books etc, we visited oz last year (she didnt), i took loads of photos got yet more info for her. she is now already packing!!!!!!! im sure your son will come round. good luck
Old Feb 12th 2003, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sky
I've got a 16 year old son. He's just the opposite. We went out to Australia for xmas and he loved the place, lifestyle, etc. He can't wait to get out there.

As an aside, what sort of visa are you looking at - because depending on his actual age (just 16, or almost 17), and the time delay in the application process, he could possibly be over 18 by the time you go - and would be treated as an independant adult - something you might need to consider.
Old Feb 12th 2003, 6:23 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sky
We've been waiting since October 2001 and are hopefully nearly there.

Our son is 16yrs old and really didn't want to go. We've told him to treat it like an adventure and that he can always come back in the future. Also, over the months we have left various publications lying around, spent some time looking at the houses etc. so although he still says he doesn't want to go he's resigned to the fact and can also see some of the advantages.

Steph
Old Feb 12th 2003, 9:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've also got a 16 year old daughter. Nightmare city!!! She's got a 21 year old boyfriend and is in Lurve but of course we don't understand ! Whenever I bring up the subject of Australia she bursts into tears and tells me she's fed up of hearing about it because that's all we talk about.
Last week they broke up and I heaved a huge sigh of relief thought all our troubles were over, but he phoned her and it's all back on again. Wouldn't mind but he's got no job no prospects. Now I know how my mum felt when I was Amy's age!!!! Mum always said what goes around comes around and boy was she right.
At least our 11year old is looking forward to going back out there but not probably as much as Sean and myself, I've put Matilda as my ring tone. Sad I know but every time my phone rings I can't help but grin.
Are we nearly there ?????

Debbie
Old Feb 12th 2003, 9:43 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kevmitch
I've got a 16 year old son. He's just the opposite. We went out to Australia for xmas and he loved the place, lifestyle, etc. He can't wait to get out there.

As an aside, what sort of visa are you looking at - because depending on his actual age (just 16, or almost 17), and the time delay in the application process, he could possibly be over 18 by the time you go - and would be treated as an independant adult - something you might need to consider.
General skills Kevmitch,the information I have read and Im a bit new to all this is that as long as my son is dependant on us for financial support or substantially dependent on us then we can include him with the principal applicant up to the age of 24yrs.But I had thought about the time delay of the application and it is or is going to be a real problem I Know.I would appreciate any info though.I am just at the very beginning of this.