Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teenage daughter doesn't want to go!!!

Teenage daughter doesn't want to go!!!

Old Nov 17th 2002, 1:56 pm
rrj21

Default Re: Teenage daughter doesn't want to go!!!

I can understand your daughters point of veiw, but if you think about when you'd make this move later on, it would have to be once she was settled in uni or moved out.
I've just got back from Oz having had the best time of my life, but it was my time and nobody made me go. Maybe if you stick around while she does A levels, then let her move out there with you for a sort of 'gap year' to decide if she wants to stay or not.
She could explore the place herself and know she has a base. Hopefully by this time she'll have respect for you in that you're putting her wants/needs first, and therefore should have respect for what you need/want.
If she doesn't like it herself she can always come back here and go to uni, or get a job, where she'd be living on her own and supporting herself......GOOD LUCK......

Old Nov 18th 2002, 1:52 pm
Banned

kismet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Having jut been through all this with our 17 year old daughter i am here to give my good news.
Our daughter actually moved out and got herself a room intending on staying here when we leave at Christmas to finish her education. We knew she wasnt ready but had no choice but to let her go. She lasted 3 weeks before she decided that she really missed us and not only wanted to move back home but also wanted to come to Oz with us and carry on her education out there. So a result all round!!!!
We had to let her go to make it 'her' choice in the end to come back to us - rather than dragging her kicking and screaming halfway round the world. She is now really looking forward to it, just like she was in the beginning when we first told her.
Hope you get the same result
kismet
p.s hang on in there
Old Dec 21st 2002, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Oh No!

Hadn't told my parents yet but mum rang up today and asked why we hadn't told her we were moving to Australia!!!!!!! Apparantly, my hubbie told his mum, who happened to tell her sister-in law who happened to know my mum!

What a mess. I hadn't planned to tell mum until we had to sent the visa application off just in case we couldn't go.

I feel ashamed to say that I said that we hadn't actually made up our mind and were just discussing it but that we wouldn't rule it out.

I suppose that it has done me a favour really because I am really close to my family and I don't know how I would have said anything to them.

Son and daughter seem happy to go now so thats good news, relatives have offered to let us stay with them in April when we go out.

It always seems like one step forward and two steps back!!!

Mandy
Old Jan 14th 2003, 6:51 pm
fionacam

Default Re: Teenage daughter doesn't want to go!!!

Originally posted by scrawni
I'm new to this site after just watching for a couple of weeks but I need to share our problem with others.

We told the kids that we want to emigrate to Australia on Sunday but our 16 year old daughter (in her last year at school) cried and said she doesn't want to go.

We are now torn. We have dreamt of this move for ages and are now in a position to do it. Advice need please!!!!! She said although it was our dream, it wasn't hers. She wants to finish college here.

Help!
Hi,
Are you still planning to go to Australia? If you are planning to go early in 2003 you may want to get in touch. I am working on a documentary for C4 about Brits moving down under. If you think you may be interested in taking part then please do give me a call on 0207 737 8409 or you can email me [email protected]
Reagrds,
Fiona Campbell LWT

Old Jan 14th 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

ho much are you paying??

cheers

richard