British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   "Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/teddy-bear-place-quarantine-daily-mail-681521/)

Sushimania Aug 17th 2010 3:34 am

"Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

In the article, it said "Quarantine rules stipulate that animal matter - including wool and furs, as well as stuffed animals - are not allowed into the country."

Does it mean we really can't bring any stuff toys? Anybody experience this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...tic-pests.html

Pollyana Aug 17th 2010 6:07 am

Re: "Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

Originally Posted by Sushimania (Post 8782074)
In the article, it said "Quarantine rules stipulate that animal matter - including wool and furs, as well as stuffed animals - are not allowed into the country."

The only stuffed toys that have been reported as a problem on here are the really old bears that are stuffed with straw, and some of the lizard type toys filled with sand. If you have ördinary"stuffed toys they are fine - normal kapock-type stuffing, beanie babies, standard artifical fur, thats all fine.(and trust me I brought enough bears in to know the rules on them back to front!!)

A similar issue exists with rocking horses - a few people have had those with real horsehair manes/tails - remove the haur and they are fine, you can then get new manes and tails once you get here.

sassie Aug 17th 2010 6:09 am

When we came over 5 years ago, we brought a whole suitacase full of teddy bears, and as all our luggage was xrayed as we entered the country, we thought we would have some questions to answer, but nothing. Stuff animals on the other hand are a different kettle of fish - the real fur might be an issue.

LouiseR Aug 17th 2010 6:13 am

That's a bit over zealous I think! My nephew sent my son a cuddly rabbit through the post and it came through fine. When they say "Stuffed Animals" I'd assume the family pet that had been stuffed!! :rofl:

I wouldn't include a teddy in the category of Stuffed Animal... :)

koalakim Aug 17th 2010 6:23 am

I brought a few animals with me :o including the rabbit I've had since my first Christmas, so heaven knows what that was stuffed with back in those days!

I can see that straw stuffing would be a problem. I remember before we came out the hassle some people were having with Christmas nativity sets which contained straw together with plastic pine cones!

I had to leave a few things behind which had personal memories which is such a shame. There was my beautiful Conch shell which I dived for and the some carved wooden dolphins from another holiday. So they are now decorating my Mum's home, together with the sand lizzards! I also had to leave behind a straw hat which came from.....Oz!

As someone commented on that article we all have to spend hours cleaning our shoes before packing but you can just walk into the country with mud on your shoes! I'm surprised we aren't made to walk through sheep dip when we get off the plane! :D

Well if wool isn't allowed, how come all my jumpers got through?

Free the bear.......

Pollyana Aug 17th 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by koalakim (Post 8782269)
I brought a few animals with me :o including the rabbit I've had since my first Christmas, so heaven knows what that was stuffed with back in those days!

I can see that straw stuffing would be a problem. I remember before we came out the hassle some people were having with Christmas nativity sets which contained straw together with plastic pine cones!

I had to leave a few things behind which had personal memories which is such a shame. There was my beautiful Conch shell which I dived for and the some carved wooden dolphins from another holiday. So they are now decorating my Mum's home, together with the sand lizzards! I also had to leave behind a straw hat which came from.....Oz!

As someone commented on that article we all have to spend hours cleaning our shoes before packing but you can just walk into the country with mud on your shoes! I'm surprised we aren't made to walk through sheep dip when we get off the plane! :D

Well if wool isn't allowed, how come all my jumpers got through?

Free the bear.......

I've seen the "sheep dip" thing happen - back in 2000 when the UK had the big foot and mouth outbreak everyone off UK flights had to have all their footwear disinfected, and all the luggage was searched for footwear, which was then disinfected. They also ask on the incoming pax card if you have been on a farm recently, if you tick "yes"then they may disinfect your footwear.

koalakim Aug 17th 2010 6:52 am

I came over during the foot and mouth but they didn't go that far with us! They had a sniffer dog as we got off the plane and it went straight for me as dear hubby had spilt milk from breakfast all over me!

I wonder if anyone does tick the farm box?

Pollyana Aug 17th 2010 7:00 am

Originally Posted by koalakim (Post 8782317)
I came over during the foot and mouth but they didn't go that far with us! They had a sniffer dog as we got off the plane and it went straight for me as dear hubby had spilt milk from breakfast all over me!

I was on my way back to the UK, probably would've been through Melbourne, and the queues coming in were horrendous, with footwear everywhere - I was soooo glad I was going the other way! I've often wondered whether anyone actually ticks that box though.....

lancastrian48 Aug 17th 2010 7:44 am

At least Oz has border controls...Uk doesnt

roaringmouse Aug 17th 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by lancastrian48 (Post 8782405)

Yeah - I've never had to show my passport, or go through customs when entering the UK.

moneypenny20 Aug 17th 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lancastrian48 (Post 8782405)

Yes they do.

lesleys Aug 17th 2010 10:30 am

My elderly teddy (about 60 yo) got impounded, unstitched down his back, and was found to be stuffed with straw. They charged me $100 to have him irradiated before he could be released. Another old panda was unstitched but allowed through unscathed. It was all done very neatly and didn't damage the fabrics.

Properly treated fur and leather are fine. It's raw untreated skins which cause problems. Same with wool - straight off the sheep would be a problem. Properly processed and spun no problem.

Pollyana Aug 17th 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 8782460)
Yeah - I've never had to show my passport, or go through customs when entering the UK.

Well I din't know where you're arriving from but every time I've entered the UK I've had to show my passport, and as for walking through Customs I just hate knowing the eyes are watching you but you can't see them, very freaky!!!

roaringmouse Aug 17th 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8782670)
Well I din't know where you're arriving from but every time I've entered the UK I've had to show my passport, and as for walking through Customs I just hate knowing the eyes are watching you but you can't see them, very freaky!!!

I was using irony to indicate what a ridiculous statement lancastrian48 had made...

MartinLuther Aug 17th 2010 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by koalakim (Post 8782317)

Me. :thumbup: