Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Technical ADSL/phone questions

Technical ADSL/phone questions

Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:16 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Technical ADSL/phone questions

Hi all

I'm bringing over the ADSL router I've used for a few years (not a question of cost, I just know my way around the setup). It's a D-Link DSL504; from what I've read, there shouldn't be any issues using it with iinet ADSL. However, I've just been looking through my box of microfilters and (of course) they're all BT plugs or RJ45s. What do Australian phone sockets tend to use? Given that I'm going to Perth which has areas full of Brits, does any enterprising shop sell BT/Aus phone connection adaptors, or should I just assume I need to get a couple of new microfilters?

Cheers
b
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technical ADSL/phone questions

Have a look at Jcar Electronics. We have a dlink router but we are chaning it soon to one from our Telco that they gave us for free.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/
Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:08 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We use RJ45's. Just get a new lead imo with an RJ45 > RJ45 if you have one with a BT telephone socket on the end.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:27 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

You can get what you need at places like Kmart, Dick Smiths etc.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Another tip, when you sign up for ADSL, normally its with Telstra.....if you dont plan to use the phone much...they have this "rule" on their website that if you dont get ADSL from them (which you really shouldnt...i recommend Internode, IINET, TPG instead) you cannot sign up for the cheapest plan....

there is a way around it....sign up for the second-to-cheapest plan then after 2 months, just call their customer service.. and say you dont use the phone much and want to downgrade....it will work...

there is a whole thread on this on the whirlpool.net forum...

BTW, naked ADSL is also an option now...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:22 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I heard a good rumour that a new fibre optic cable is being run from the mainland to Tassie and may be up and running before Christmas and it's not Telstra. It might give them a shake to improve the broadband at last, well for Tassie. It's shocking with Telstra. Not cheap either. There is already a cable been put there 18 months ago but it's not connected. Maybe there is an argument going on about the costs etc and who gets what. Any way hope they sort it out.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:23 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Hi all

I'm bringing over the ADSL router I've used for a few years (not a question of cost, I just know my way around the setup). It's a D-Link DSL504; from what I've read, there shouldn't be any issues using it with iinet ADSL. However, I've just been looking through my box of microfilters and (of course) they're all BT plugs or RJ45s. What do Australian phone sockets tend to use? Given that I'm going to Perth which has areas full of Brits, does any enterprising shop sell BT/Aus phone connection adaptors, or should I just assume I need to get a couple of new microfilters?

Cheers
b
When you sign up for a contract, you'll get a free modem and filters from the provider, usually 2 filters (Optus).
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:14 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

It should be ok. My Netgear plugged in without any converters. However setup was quite complicated - quite a few advanced settings to get right to talk on Auss ADSL. Luckily the techy at Westnet (now part of iinet) actually knew his stuff and we worked it out despite not being one of their listed supported modems.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When I signed up with Westnet, one of the first questions I asked was if we moved and took the services with us to the new place, what would we have to pay.

'Oh just a $150 reconnection fee that is it' He told me, because we were not technically breaking the contract and taking it with us.

Some snotty cow on the phone has just told me we are ending our contract with them and will be charged a couple of hundred bucks to do so.

And if we want to rejoin then we have to pay everything again.

Telling her that was not the deal I was given or I wouldnt have taken it, she is now going to listen over to the recording from 6 months ago and 'get back to me'.

Bunch of arseholes, they were the ones that sent me a faulty router and then said 'it is not our problem, once that router gets sent out to you it becomes your equipment so not covered if faulty'

So I am going to be the best part of 400 bucks lighter, stuff them I wont renew my contract and will use the net at work and my mobile from home and if I do get a phone again, it wont be with them.

Sorry for offloading, God some people know how to push my buttons.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:08 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies, all. I've signed up with iiNet, and decided to get an ADSL router from them... it'll be ADSL2+ capable (which the 504 is not), so I might get some extra speed.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Bit late for a reply as you have bought a router now. Like you, we went for ADSL2, so the router from home was no good.

I did have a UK ADSL filter and BT socket to RJ45 converter. It works fine. I bought the router on gumtree, which did not have a filter withit. The rule is (I am pretty sure), make sure the wires have all 4 pins connected. Look at the clear plastic end. Oz comms use the inner two, UK the outer 2 (may be wrong way around, didn't want to disconnect to check).

Having said that, I brought my snazzy home cordless from the UK - don't work even with 4 pins wired. No idea why (anyone any help ?). The extra handset is gap compatible and works fine with the new Oz cordless I bought. The phones should work without problems. However, I think it is illegal to connect non-Oz-approved phones - so hide it when that telstra guy comes to fix your line!

Anyway, filters cost from $10 and cordless phones $50, so no big deal anyway
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:10 am
Citizen Of The World

Originally Posted by carlap
Bit late for a reply as you have bought a router now. Like you, we went for ADSL2, so the router from home was no good.
Actually, iinet emailed me this morning to tell me that I can't get ADSL2+ because they have no free ports in the local node. Damn. So it's back to getting a boring old phoneline plus basic ADSL. Ah well, it'll do.

I did have a UK ADSL filter and BT socket to RJ45 converter. It works fine. I bought the router on gumtree, which did not have a filter withit. The rule is (I am pretty sure), make sure the wires have all 4 pins connected. Look at the clear plastic end. Oz comms use the inner two, UK the outer 2 (may be wrong way around, didn't want to disconnect to check).
Good point; thanks. I've always kept a stock of a few phone cables, and made sure I have both 2-wire and 4-wire versions. Mind you, I prefer my comms going down Ethernet cables... much easier to sort.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap

Having said that, I brought my snazzy home cordless from the UK - don't work even with 4 pins wired. No idea why (anyone any help ?). The extra handset is gap compatible and works fine with the new Oz cordless I bought. The phones should work without problems. However, I think it is illegal to connect non-Oz-approved phones - so hide it when that telstra guy comes to fix your line!

I had the reverse issue when I went to UK many years ago (I had an Aus phone). As I recall and this is based on your comment, you have to rewire one end - outer 2 to inner 2 perhaps. I know I got working though. Just dont blow up the exchange - as you said non Aus phone aren;t allowed!