Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Techie advice NeroVision Xpress 2 please!

Wikiposts

Techie advice NeroVision Xpress 2 please!

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Techie advice NeroVision Xpress 2 please!

Here's the problem! I have downloaded images from my digital camera. I want to put them onto a DVD to send 'home' so my rellies can look at them on their DVD player.

I know JPEG's can be played from CD-R but I want to send stacks of them so 7x storage capacity of DVD required. JPEG's will not play from DVD because they have to be in DVD video format so this means making up a 'movie' in QuickTime (you need QuickTime Pro version for that which you have to pay for) or using NeroVision Express 2 (Ahead Nero) which came with my DVD burner.

I have followed the Help section on Create your first slide show, selected new slide show from the menu, selected a new group and 2 windows open - a left window for showing the files to browse and ultimately playback; a right window to show the selected files. I've clicked the bottom left button and the list of files appear in the left window, I've scrolled down to desktop and selected the folder with the JPEG's in which I want to put into the movie but at this point I can't drag the folder across to the right window. When the cursor goes over to the window it is like a stop sign and the Plus button at the bottom of the screen is grey (not available). It then tells me that no item is selected and assigned an executable action!!! That's when the air turns blue.

I'm hoping I don't have to go down the road of re-installing the Sony software which contains Nero Express but this might be the simple solution. (perhaps when I installed it I didn't click the right boxes to enable slide shows or something like that).

So if anyone can help and hasn't fallen I would be eternally grateful for your assistance. Offline for 3 or 4 hours don't think I'm ignoring any replies.

OzTennis

P.S. I've burned images onto CD-R and DVD-R and used them successfully on my DVD player and PC and PC respectively, I just want to have it in DVD Video format for reasons mentioned above.

Last edited by OzTennis; Mar 23rd 2005 at 2:30 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Techie advice NeroVision Xpress 2 please!

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Here's the problem! I have downloaded images from my digital camera. I want to put them onto a DVD to send 'home' so my rellies can look at them on their DVD player.

I know JPEG's can be played from CD-R but I want to send stacks of them so 7x storage capacity of DVD required. JPEG's will not play from DVD because they have to be in DVD video format so this means making up a 'movie' in QuickTime (you need QuickTime Pro version for that which you have to pay for) or using NeroVision Express 2 (Ahead Nero) which came with my DVD burner.

I have followed the Help section on Create your first slide show, selected new slide show from the menu, selected a new group and 2 windows open - a left window for showing the files to browse and ultimately playback; a right window to show the selected files. I've clicked the bottom left button and the list of files appear in the left window, I've scrolled down to desktop and selected the folder with the JPEG's in which I want to put into the movie but at this point I can't drag the folder across to the right window. When the cursor goes over to the window it is like a stop sign and the Plus button at the bottom of the screen is grey (not available). It then tells me that no item is selected and assigned an executable action!!! That's when the air turns blue.

I'm hoping I don't have to go down the road of re-installing the Sony software which contains Nero Express but this might be the simple solution. (perhaps when I installed it I didn't click the right boxes to enable slide shows or something like that).

So if anyone can help and hasn't fallen I would be eternally grateful for your assistance. Offline for 3 or 4 hours don't think I'm ignoring any replies.

OzTennis

P.S. I've burned images onto CD-R and DVD-R and used them successfully on my DVD player and PC and PC respectively, I just want to have it in DVD Video format for reasons mentioned above.

No idea mate, but I use proshow gold, It's the best jpg to dvd slideshow program. I have heard the nero vision is buggy.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Just had another thourght, If your sending them so that they can be watched on a tv, anything higher than 640*480 is a waste of space as the tv can't display anything higher. So you'll fit about 5000 to 7000 pics depending on compression on a single cd.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:52 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

OzTennis

Hiya,

I've just run through this on my version for you. I assume we have the same version, it came with a sony dvd drive.

When you start Nero, it asks you if you want to start a CD or a DVD project. If it doesn't, you can toggle this yourself at the top right of the screen, just below the 'Minimise/maximise' buttons. (You'll see two toggles, CD and DVD' Select DVD.

In the menu, 'What would you like to do?', select, 'Make new slide show', there is an arrow to the right where a further menu appears, 'Video CD' or 'Super Video CD'. Select 'Video CD'. Although you want a DVD, pictures are actually stored on a VCD, which can be played on most DVD players.

One the two 'Screens' that appear, select the 'Browse' icon on the right hand screen, browse for the picture that you want, then 'Double Click' it. It should now appear in the left hand menu. Keep going until you've done all you want.

The 'Slideshow' at the bottom shows your pictures as 'Frames'. When you're done, click 'Next', at the bottom. On the next page, the bar at the bottom tells you how much space you've got left. The example I did used 1.5MB out of 703MB, just by using 3 pictures. This equates to about 1300-1400 pictures per CD...Not Bad!

If you're happy, you can click 'Next' again and change The background, layout, allsorts of things. Clicking 'Next' again will allow you to preview your slideshow and go back and change it if needed. You can add music, animate the pictures on the menu screen, have one of your pictures as the 'Background' if you want. If everything is OK, Click 'Next' Until you are asked to burn your project.

I must say, that I hadn't used the 'Slideshow' function before today, but I tried it for you and it worked perfectly first time. I normally use it to make DVD's and the process is very similar, except slideshows are done on a CD.

Nero is really a perfect bit of software. I hope this works for you, if it doesn't, email me and I'll try to help you further.

Steve.

Last edited by SteveBannister; Mar 23rd 2005 at 4:59 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
Hiya,

I've just run through this on my version for you. I assume we have the same version, it came with a sony dvd drive.

When you start Nero, it asks you if you want to start a CD or a DVD project. If it doesn't, you can toggle this yourself at the top right of the screen, just below the 'Minimise/maximise' buttons. (You'll see two toggles, CD and DVD' Select DVD.

In the menu, 'What would you like to do?', select, 'Make new slide show', there is an arrow to the right where a further menu appears, 'Video CD' or 'Super Video CD'. Select 'Video CD'. Although you want a DVD, pictures are actually stored on a VCD, which can be played on most DVD players.

One the two 'Screens' that appear, select the 'Browse' icon on the right hand screen, browse for the picture that you want, then 'Double Click' it. It should now appear in the left hand menu. Keep going until you've done all you want.

The 'Slideshow' at the bottom shows your pictures as 'Frames'. When you're done, click 'Next', at the bottom. On the next page, the bar at the bottom tells you how much space you've got left. The example I did used 1.5MB out of 703MB, just by using 3 pictures. This equates to about 1300-1400 pictures per CD...Not Bad!

If you're happy, you can click 'Next' again and change The background, layout, allsorts of things. Clicking 'Next' again will allow you to preview your slideshow and go back and change it if needed. You can add music, animate the pictures on the menu screen, have one of your pictures as the 'Background' if you want. If everything is OK, Click 'Next' Until you are asked to burn your project.

I must say, that I hadn't used the 'Slideshow' function before today, but I tried it for you and it worked perfectly first time. I normally use it to make DVD's and the process is very similar, except slideshows are done on a CD.

Nero is really a perfect bit of software. I hope this works for you, if it doesn't, email me and I'll try to help you further.

Steve.
Steve

That's terrific mate, thanks for the advice and for taking the time and effort to try it out - much appreciated. I'll give it a try tomorrow and I'll let you know how I got on. Good tip too about the size of JPEG's Gjn200 - thanks. All I have to learn now is how to reduce my JPEG's to 640*480!

I might have a different version of the Sony software because I have Nero Start Smart on my desktop (it's a Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DRU-710A)*. It launchesas you say with a toggle between CD and DVD but there are 6 symbols across the top for favourites, data, audio, photo and video, copy and backup and extras. Make VCD photo slide show appears under favourites and photo and video and it launches this untitled video CD screen with the 2 windows. As I say I'll try it tomorrow when I have more time (and my CD with all the JPEG's).

Thanks again.

OzTennis

*funny thing on the Sony drive is that a work colleague had the same drive installed a few weeks after me and his version of the Sony software was different (later) - his will not allow commercial CD's and DVD's to be copied but mine will - not that I'd do that sort of thing.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Techie advice NeroVision Xpress 2 please!

I ran through this on my version of Nero eXpress 2 and grabbed a screenshot of the window as I see it, so hopefully this helps.

Once I have gone through the startup and selected to create a DVD slideshow, I get the screen below (well, without the baby pics)...

Get the screenshot here

A. I then select <Create New Group> at position marked as A.
B. Then I hit the button marked B (small folder and magifying glass icon) to bring up the dialog to add files to the group I have just created.
C. Once I've done this, I can either drag the pictures from my collection to the project timeline (filmstrip) below, or use the button (with plus sign on it) marked C to add the selected picture to the timeline.
D. As I add pictures to the timeline, they are displayed in the timeline marked D.
E. Before completing the assembling, I can add background music using the tab on the timeline, marked as D and at E, choose the quality of the video compression to use. The lower the quality the longer the slideshow can be (I regular use lower quality without noticeable degradation).
After that hit next and complete the build normally.

Hope this helps.
-Avron
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:01 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Steve
I might have a different version of the Sony software because I have Nero Start Smart on my desktop (it's a Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DRU-710A)*. It launchesas you say with a toggle between CD and DVD but there are 6 symbols across the top for favourites, data, audio, photo and video, copy and backup and extras.
Yep, That's the same copy as mine. It's a good drive as well.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if the Express version of Nero supports this, but I have Nero 6 and it burns photos to DVDs that can be played in a standard DVD player no problem.

http://www.nero.com/en/Nero_6_Reloaded_Photos.html
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:17 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Okay you clever lot - here's a question for you..

Someone sent me a DVD of photographs, playing like a video with music etc etc....
If I want to extract some of those pictures as photos so I can print them off, how do I go about it? (Dont ask me to ask the bloke that sent it cos he doesnt talk to me anymore!)

Cheers!

W.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:31 pm
Coogee Rocks

Originally Posted by Wanderlust

Someone sent me a DVD of photographs, playing like a video with music etc etc....
If I want to extract some of those pictures as photos so I can print them off, how do I go about it? (Dont ask me to ask the bloke that sent it cos he doesnt talk to me anymore!)

Cheers!

W.
What player do you use on your PC?..I have one intervideo I thinks its called that allows me to capture images from a dvd. Thers an option to burn/rip the dvd (but obviously it doesnt work for copywrited films...) and within that a image capture option... If you want me to find out what the palyers called Ill tell you tommorow as its free player.

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:58 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Yes please!!

W
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road

When you grab frames from the DVD video, it is at the much lower television resolution, which is far from good to print. If you don't mind small prints it is an option.

My suggestion is that it may make more sense to ask the creators of those DVD's to in future make a mixed mode DVD that has both the slideshow movie on it and the collection of original digital images that you can extract with a PC or at a photo printer. That way you get the option of being able to print at the best quality too.

-Avron
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

You could try running it through your pc and then getting a screengrab (prt Sc) then oopen a photo editing software like Photoshop and paste the image onto a new canvas (Ctrl+v)

You can't do this for commercial dvd's but i doubt your friend put any copyright protection on the disc

Photoshop is ideal for this because you can adjust the dpi and canvas size

hope this helps
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wanderlust

Cheers!

W.
Have you browsed the dvd on your pc? Some programs also put the jpegs on the dvd aswell, he *might* have done it .